Home

Too many Double plays?

This is a discussion on Too many Double plays? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-09-2017, 08:34 AM   #17
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Too many Double plays?

Keep in mind that if you're comparing your individual team's results with sim engine statistics that the generated stats may be off. I checked this last year and found that the sim engine was not generating enough DPs for the rest of the league, so even though my rates were average compared to real life, in the sim engine I was near the bottom.

Not sure if it's still that way because I haven't checked it, but something to keep in mind.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:51 AM   #18
MVP

HypoLuxa13's Arena

One possible band-aid for some people might be to change your batting camera if you are using zone hitting. This would only apply if you feel like you are hitting too many ground balls in general, not necessarily too many double plays specifically. I mention this just because on some batting cameras I hit way to many lazy fly balls an pop ups. On other batting cameras I hit way too many grounders and choppers. I've been assuming that is has to do with the way I perceive the pitch coming in. That perception causes me to instinctively over-move my PCI down or up, depending on what I perceive. So some pitches that I think are coming in high are actually down the middle, and I get on top of it and hit a grounder. Or pitches I think are coming in down the middle are actually low. Or vice-versa.

But yeah, the constant All-Star fielding of both CPU and user is really one of my only gripes with the gameplay in MLB 17. Not just the double play turns. Also those rockets down the 3rd base line or in the hole on the left side, and the 3B or SS snag it backhand and usually make a perfect back foot or jumping rocket throw to first for the out. Like every player in MLB 17 with a fielding and arm ratings over 50 is PED era Ken Caminiti with the inhuman arm strength and accuracy.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:04 PM   #19
Pro

Herschie's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypoLuxa13
One possible band-aid for some people might be to change your batting camera if you are using zone hitting. This would only apply if you feel like you are hitting too many ground balls in general, not necessarily too many double plays specifically. I mention this just because on some batting cameras I hit way to many lazy fly balls an pop ups. On other batting cameras I hit way too many grounders and choppers. I've been assuming that is has to do with the way I perceive the pitch coming in. That perception causes me to instinctively over-move my PCI down or up, depending on what I perceive. So some pitches that I think are coming in high are actually down the middle, and I get on top of it and hit a grounder. Or pitches I think are coming in down the middle are actually low. Or vice-versa.
Yep. I would have loved the "strike-zone" camera, but I keep on falling for low changeups and hitting a lot of weak ground balls.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:57 AM   #20
Just started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
There always have been too many double plays
I agree , way to many double plays. I have played 6 seasons in RTTS and i hate coming up with less and 2 outs and man on first. seems 1/3 the time I hit a bullet ground ball right at infielder and DP.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:02 PM   #21
Just started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschie
Yep. I would have loved the "strike-zone" camera, but I keep on falling for low changeups and hitting a lot of weak ground balls.
Having played baseball up to A ball for the Dodgers, I find it much harder to read a change up in MLB the show that in real life. Most deadly pitch in the game and yet was clobbered when read right in real life. Most off speeds are for getting batter to chase balls down or away. In MLB the show my pitcher just throws a good fastball and 12 mph slower off speed pitch, deadly combo in game. But they need to make offspeed pitchs easier to pick up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-12-2017, 04:06 PM   #22
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

OVR: 18

The Show's inflated GIDP (and assists) come from too high of a frequency for contact being made per swing.

On total misses (plus Ks) on swings per game, approximately 21% is the modern MLB average which is much higher than what the Show produces.

Sliders will help with this, and if you track against your games, you'll want to ensure you're around that range on average. On default, you'll be closer to 10% or less.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2017, 02:30 PM   #23
Rookie

RockPowderDownLoL's Arena

if you are using zone you can swing influence up (r2 + up on RS) before each pitch. changes your batter's swing path to upper cut
Old 11-14-2017, 02:38 PM   #24
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockPowderDownLoL
if you are using zone you can swing influence up (r2 + up on RS) before each pitch. changes your batter's swing path to upper cut
There is no swing influence in that capacity in the show anymore. It was taken out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »