Home

Too many Double plays?

This is a discussion on Too many Double plays? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-14-2017, 02:39 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: Too many Double plays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockPowderDownLoL
if you are using zone you can swing influence up (r2 + up on RS) before each pitch. changes your batter's swing path to upper cut
That control's not in the game anymore and hasn't been for years.

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...&postcount=117

Link is from 2015.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2017, 04:20 PM   #26
Rookie

RockPowderDownLoL's Arena

OVR: 0

hitting is mental therefore the placebo is almost as good as the real thing although i am aware of that post i still do it. if i heard it from a programmer i'd be convinced 100% but still think its there and it seems to have an effect on my results! plus when i do it my player does a practise swing.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:25 PM   #27
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockPowderDownLoL
hitting is mental therefore the placebo is almost as good as the real thing although i am aware of that post i still do it. if i heard it from a programmer i'd be convinced 100% but still think its there and it seems to have an effect on my results! plus when i do it my player does a practise swing.
Ramone is the source of the quote I posted. Since you specified "programmer" I assume that means you're not going to take his word at face value.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I tried. Do whatever you feel works best for you.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:52 PM   #28
Rookie

RockPowderDownLoL's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Ramone is the source of the quote I posted. Since you specified "programmer" I assume that means you're not going to take his word at face value.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I tried. Do whatever you feel works best for you.
No I won't. I've had Ramone quote me and steal my words almost word for word. SDS does a poor job of explaining their hitting mechanics anyway and leaves it up to us for the most part and I have no problem with that!

There is also a tip in the COTW loading screen that recommends you use swing influence to achieve bonuses. I can't see why that would be for directional as that would be stating the obvious.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:57 AM   #29
MVP

OVR: 9

I find the best way to avoid double plays is to not swing at pitches in the lower part of the zone. Look for pitches you can hit in the air.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:12 PM   #30
MVP

HypoLuxa13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyaboutlife
Having played baseball up to A ball for the Dodgers, I find it much harder to read a change up in MLB the show that in real life. Most deadly pitch in the game and yet was clobbered when read right in real life. Most off speeds are for getting batter to chase balls down or away. In MLB the show my pitcher just throws a good fastball and 12 mph slower off speed pitch, deadly combo in game. But they need to make offspeed pitchs easier to pick up.
Agreed, about the change up in The Show, not about clobbering it in real life.

But in MLB The Show, about every change up is Trevor Hoffman level good. And that 10-12 MPH slower difference from a fastball with crazy movement just doesn't seem realistic compared to real life. I think on Pitch Fx, we'd see most guys who throw a change up do it at about 5-7 mph slower.

I SMASH change ups in The Show if they are hangers. But I smash the FOUL every time, almost. If they are low, best I can hope for is a foul tip into the dirt. Hard to recognize, very hard to adjust to even if you are looking for it.

Last edited by HypoLuxa13; 11-15-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:20 PM   #31
Pro

OVR: 24

It would be good to include the hitting system you use.

While we (and the Devs) would want every hitting system (analog, zone, etc...) to produce the identical results, the reality is that that is easier said than done. Every hitting system works... differently, obviously, and there is always going to be small deviations in the type of contact produced. This is primarily because each system factors in different levels of user input.

I use Zone hitting and I've never had a problem with double plays.

Last edited by Bobhead; 11-15-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-19-2017, 07:04 AM   #32
Just started!

Yeah overall I find it far too easy to avoid grounders in this game, but it took some getting used to. Firstly, certain pitchers have an ungodly command of the lower edge of the strike zone. They can and will throw multiple different pitches along the edge one right after the other with no fear even when the count is 2-0. But the good news is, if you encounter such a pitcher, in DP situations particularly, just assume they are going to pitch you low, use zone hitting and scoop the ball. It's almost too easy; certain pitchers are far less effective than they are in RL because the AI tries to be TOO good. Also much like it's way too easy for pitchers to nail low strikes, it's way too easy to make solid contact on low balls.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »