Home

Hate all you want....

This is a discussion on Hate all you want.... within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-16-2018, 12:56 PM   #9
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Hate all you want(Concerning Legend)....

I'm really hoping the BSC will be strong enough for me to recreate a true Barry Bonds stance. The bat waggle may not be as pronounced or the timing of it may never be right, but I'll try my best.

He had one of my favorite stances ever, and he made it look so good. I always questioned if a stance ever did anything to a swing, and after I tried it for myself in real life the answer was "yes." The issue is that I could never get the consistency or timing of it down, but I remember the first time I used his stance hitting off a machine before coaching my softball team's practice, I hit a softball farther than I ever have before. Unfortunately, it was mostly followed by a crapload of jam jobs and pop ups haha. Anyway, I digress.

Bonds CAP's always show up in the vault, some looking better than others... but with the newest CAP features and additions I am hoping he can really be brought back to life. Yes, I realistically think he would be the most valuable LF signing for the Giants today, even at 53 years of age.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 02-16-2018, 01:05 PM   #10
MVP

thescoop's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo2208
Jon Dowd was 10x the player Bonds ever was. And he did it the right way! Let's bring him back.
Yes! Thank you! I couldn't remember the fake Bond's name. I knew it was Jon but couldn't remember his last name! That dude was in fact a beast.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:23 PM   #11
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescoop
Yes! Thank you! I couldn't remember the fake Bond's name. I knew it was Jon but couldn't remember his last name! That dude was in fact a beast.
I'm going off memory here, but here were all of the fake names:

MLB/The Show had Reggie Stocker
ESPN/MLB 2K had Joe Young
MVP Baseball had Jon Dowd (and was right-handed IIRC)
All Star Baseball had Wes Mailman
MLB Power Pros had Great Gonzales*
MLB SlugFest had Adan Buja

When I had High Heat 2004, I believe it had Bonds... which makes me believe the game was released before Bonds wasn't a part of the MLBPA.

Any other games? (didn't own Inside Pitch for Xbox and I believe that was before the MLBPA issue as well)

By the way, this didn't just affect games... he no longer had any baseball cards, wasn't on Giants calendars, etc.

* When I edited the name for Bonds in Power Pros, I tried my best to match an audio last name with his, so the one that matched best was for Boof Bonser. It was just hilarious any time the announcer would kind of shriek: "Bonser!" I want to record and upload a video of that so you know what I mean.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 02-16-2018 at 02:25 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2018, 02:36 PM   #12
MVP

thescoop's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I'm going off memory here, but here were all of the fake names:

MLB/The Show had Reggie Stocker
ESPN/MLB 2K had Joe Young
MVP Baseball had Jon Dowd (and was right-handed IIRC)
All Star Baseball had Wes Mailman
MLB Power Pros had Great Gonzales*
MLB SlugFest had Adan Buja

When I had High Heat 2004, I believe it had Bonds... which makes me believe the game was released before Bonds wasn't a part of the MLBPA.

Any other games? (didn't own Inside Pitch for Xbox and I believe that was before the MLBPA issue as well)

By the way, this didn't just affect games... he no longer had any baseball cards, wasn't on Giants calendars, etc.

* When I edited the name for Bonds in Power Pros, I tried my best to match an audio last name with his, so the one that matched best was for Boof Bonser. It was just hilarious any time the announcer would kind of shriek: "Bonser!" I want to record and upload a video of that so you know what I mean.
I remember Jon Dowd and Joe Young the best. But the one that stood out because they actually made him a powerful player was Dowd. And yes, I remember Dowd being a righty instead of a lefty.

I don't remember when Bonds pulled a Barkley and got himself removed from games. But I do remember everyone complaining about this Jon Dowd character being in his place.

I would always create Bonds and cut Dowd and see who signed him. He was stud so he rarely was left on the market.

As I said before, with Bonds trying to repair his image as of late, maybe he'll allow himself to be included in The Show this year. He would be a cool Legend. Of course since Ruth was the first announced I'd bet if they get Bonds he'll be the last one announced.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:48 PM   #13
Jedi Master

Rob_NYY's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescoop
I don't remember when Bonds pulled a Barkley and got himself removed from games. But I do remember everyone complaining about this Jon Dowd character being in his place.
Michael Jordan did the same thing. Games in the late 90s never had him in there.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:56 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Hate all you want....

Belichick isn't in Madden either.

Did anyone play Roger Clemens MVP Baseball on the NES back in the day? All of the team nicknames and player names were fake, but the names were close to their real life counterparts.

The Atlanta Condors had "Johns" for Smoltz, "Lavin" for Glavine, "Ronald" for Gant, "Judge" for Justice, etc. Daryl Strawberry was "Raspberry", Steve Sax was "Clarinet" hahaha
Old 02-16-2018, 03:21 PM   #15
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcgt27
Belichick isn't in Madden either.

Did anyone play Roger Clemens MVP Baseball on the NES back in the day? All of the team nicknames and player names were fake, but the names were close to their real life counterparts.

The Atlanta Condors had "Johns" for Smoltz, "Lavin" for Glavine, "Ronald" for Gant, "Judge" for Justice, etc. Daryl Strawberry was "Raspberry", Steve Sax was "Clarinet" hahaha

Never played that game, but Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball on SNES had all fake names besides Griffey's (which could all be edited). Most names were likely of developers, but I remember like...
  • The Red Sox had some of our nation's founders (P. Revere, B. Franklin)
  • The Royals had former presidents (A. Lincoln, J. Kennedy)
  • The Rockies and Cardinals had entertainment biz folk (P. Lorre, W. Craven)
  • Rangers had names of western origin (D. Boone, B. Kidd)
... and so on and so forth. I can't remember them all, but I played it pretty recently because of the SNES Classic news and ran into many of these again.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2018, 03:40 PM   #16
MVP

bronxbombers21325's Arena

OVR: 2

If I remember right, when Bonds was hitting coach for the Marlins, he was in the game as Reggie Stocker.
New York Yankees, Pittsburgh Steelers, Kentucky Wildcats, #18 Kyle Busch, #4B Jackie Boggs, #0 Scott Bloomquist

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »