Home

How do you stop from starting over??

This is a discussion on How do you stop from starting over?? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-14-2018, 09:29 PM   #25
Banned

prestwood90's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: How do you stop from starting over??

I actually thought I was reading something I wrote while reading your post lol....... trust me my friend u are not alone.......I've began to tell myself that if u don't continue to play u will never finish a season therefore wasting your time.......

Sent from my SM-N950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2018, 09:50 PM   #26
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgess
Help!!! I buy this game every year. I love playing it, but I have OCD and keep starting over. I go through all of the work of setting up my 30-team control Yankees and Mets franchises. Then I get 9-10 games in to each franchise. Then I have that “off night” when I’m playing and I can’t seem to concentrate, swing at bad pitches, make horrible pitching decisions, etc. I then get frustrated and fast forward to the end of the game. Then I feel like I’ve “cheated the game” and feel the need to start my whole franchise over again. I’m embarrassed to say this, but I have never made it past 25 games in a season. Keep playing the same games over and over again.

How do you fight the urge to start over again if you have a bad game because you can’t concentrate (tired, can’t focus, etc)
A few things come to mind (you may also want to check out the related thread to yours about 'how do you play an entire season in franchise')...

1. I really try to avoid firing up a game if I am getting tired or if I might not have enough time to play it. I am not the youngster I used to be that can game all night and sleep 3 hours, get up and repeat the next day. If I am feeling a bit fatigued, I actually will turn on a movie instead. This will slow your progress a bit, but you'll be playing more quality games and having less of that "empty calorie" feeling that it sounds like you're getting. Sure you can save in mid-game and pick it up later, but I always feel like I've lost my bearings when I do that.

2. I realize that baseball is a really unique sport and a whole host of unexpected things can and will happen over a long season. So, if there's one game I play where things seem off or unrealistic, I just figure it will even out eventually or the results will mostly get buried by the results of the other 161 games. You can have 5-10 weird games and still play a perfectly "normal" season--real baseball teams do it all the time, lol.

3. As a couple of others have already mentioned, completing a season or more in franchise can be a grind so starting games over can defeat your progress in doing that. I will admit that I have re-started games before where I felt something odd/glitchy happened but I definitely don't want to do that if I can help it. However, if restarting a single game will make you happier with your overall body of work, whether you were half asleep and got ambushed by the cpu or you had someone bother you mid-game or whatever, then ultimately you are keeping on with the same save by sacrificing that one game.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:45 PM   #27
MVP

jrivera34's Arena

OVR: 10

I constantly start over as new rosters/players become available. Last year I tried something new, played over 100 games in the season, lost in the playoffs, and played another 50 or so games before I stopped playing. Then I started playing RTTS.

What I did different last year is that I took the first OSFM roster, simulated 2017 and started with 2018. This way I didn’t feel the need to have updated rosters.

To the OP, try to think about the fact that those really bad games offset those games where you score 10 + runs.

I am a 43 year old gamer and I wish I could go back to the days where I played these games for fun. Taking realism too far as I have gotten older has taking some joy out of sports gaming for me. I am my own damn worst enemy!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 03-15-2018, 12:30 AM   #28
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrivera34
I constantly start over as new rosters/players become available. Last year I tried something new, played over 100 games in the season, lost in the playoffs, and played another 50 or so games before I stopped playing. Then I started playing RTTS.

What I did different last year is that I took the first OSFM roster, simulated 2017 and started with 2018. This way I didn’t feel the need to have updated rosters.

To the OP, try to think about the fact that those really bad games offset those games where you score 10 + runs.

I am a 43 year old gamer and I wish I could go back to the days where I played these games for fun. Taking realism too far as I have gotten older has taking some joy out of sports gaming for me. I am my own damn worst enemy!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Couldn’t have said it better myself. I know exactly what you are talking about. My wife has to remind me often that it is just a game and enjoy it. If she only knew....
Old 03-15-2018, 12:31 AM   #29
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
A few things come to mind (you may also want to check out the related thread to yours about 'how do you play an entire season in franchise')...

1. I really try to avoid firing up a game if I am getting tired or if I might not have enough time to play it. I am not the youngster I used to be that can game all night and sleep 3 hours, get up and repeat the next day. If I am feeling a bit fatigued, I actually will turn on a movie instead. This will slow your progress a bit, but you'll be playing more quality games and having less of that "empty calorie" feeling that it sounds like you're getting. Sure you can save in mid-game and pick it up later, but I always feel like I've lost my bearings when I do that.

2. I realize that baseball is a really unique sport and a whole host of unexpected things can and will happen over a long season. So, if there's one game I play where things seem off or unrealistic, I just figure it will even out eventually or the results will mostly get buried by the results of the other 161 games. You can have 5-10 weird games and still play a perfectly "normal" season--real baseball teams do it all the time, lol.

3. As a couple of others have already mentioned, completing a season or more in franchise can be a grind so starting games over can defeat your progress in doing that. I will admit that I have re-started games before where I felt something odd/glitchy happened but I definitely don't want to do that if I can help it. However, if restarting a single game will make you happier with your overall body of work, whether you were half asleep and got ambushed by the cpu or you had someone bother you mid-game or whatever, then ultimately you are keeping on with the same save by sacrificing that one game.
Thanks for the sound advice. Very helpful.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:45 AM   #30
Pro

Interesting thread. I just plan to roll through and continue my player locked Franchise using WaitTilNextYear’s Rosters. If I purchase this years game. Still waiting on some confirmations of features.

The only downside for me is that when you upgrade to the new year to in Franchise mode some players that no longer play get replaced by generics. I wish there was a contuation for a roster import feature this would be huge for the roster guys. And people who play Franchise and year to year saves
Old 03-15-2018, 11:48 AM   #31
Rookie

Surg2k's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOscar
I'm honestly more likely to abandon a franchise if I'm doing too well as opposed to losing games. Nothing more frustrating than trying to find that right balance of enjoyable yet still realistic in terms of results, but once you find it all is great and I no longer really worry about wins and losses
I have the hardest time with this. I have never been able to play as my favorite team (Yankees) due to not wanting to win every game or win to much, so then ill start as Padres and win a good amount of games and want to restart because would they really win that many games? I struggle with success
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2018, 12:37 PM   #32
MVP

forme95's Arena

I only re start my franchises for slider tests until the 2nd or 3rd osfm rosters come out, then it's my universe and no more restarts. It plays out how it plays out.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »