Home

Franchise Guys, Phases what say you?

This is a discussion on Franchise Guys, Phases what say you? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2018, 07:29 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Franchise Guys, Phases what say you?

When announced and streamed I found it to be a dud. Now that I'm deep into my Franchise, "for baseball" more than any other sports video game. Phases are a major foundational piece that is and was needed, that I think we thought we didn't need.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2018, 08:05 AM   #2
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Franchise Guys, Phases what say you?

I honestly don't pay attention to it.

The only time I may look at it is when its counting down the number of days until the MLB draft so that I can assure that I have my "draft board" ready.

Other than that, as I said I don't pay attention to it.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 08-22-2018, 08:23 AM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I honestly don't pay attention to it.

The only time I may look at it is when its counting down the number of days until the MLB draft so that I can assure that I have my "draft board" ready.

Other than that, as I said I don't pay attention to it.
The counting down is a major focus for me also, but seeing on the front end, is a major factor.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:43 AM   #4
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

It helps slightly in the off season when juggling everything that needs to be done, but for the most part it's more of an annoyance to me then helpful.

It's in the way, it's an extra menu that I have to skip past or work around.

Calling it an improvement to franchise is, from my perspective, a kick in the pants.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:54 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 3

I think what you're saying is that you didn't think phases were needed but now that you are more into the game, you're finding phases more useful than you imagined they would be (?)

I don't have 18, and touting phases wasn't going to get me to buy. However, I could see how this could be very useful given the complexities of the MLB activities that aren't always quite clear. It took me several iterations of the game (and a few reloading of saved games to overcome my mistakes!) to finally be familiar with all the timings and activities needed (in a game where phases doesn't exist as it does in 18). Even knowing baseball as well as I do doesn't always help the video game version; for example The Show post season rules differ from those in real life, as does the timing for signing draft picks (at least up through 17 you had until into September to sign, when in real life there is a July deadline).

Long-winded to say that I'm glad to hear that a new feature they felt they needed to add is found useful to some in the manner they intended.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2018, 09:27 AM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach422001
I think what you're saying is that you didn't think phases were needed but now that you are more into the game, you're finding phases more useful than you imagined they would be (?)

I don't have 18, and touting phases wasn't going to get me to buy. However, I could see how this could be very useful given the complexities of the MLB activities that aren't always quite clear. It took me several iterations of the game (and a few reloading of saved games to overcome my mistakes!) to finally be familiar with all the timings and activities needed (in a game where phases doesn't exist as it does in 18). Even knowing baseball as well as I do doesn't always help the video game version; for example The Show post season rules differ from those in real life, as does the timing for signing draft picks (at least up through 17 you had until into September to sign, when in real life there is a July deadline).

Long-winded to say that I'm glad to hear that a new feature they felt they needed to add is found useful to some in the manner they intended.
This is my point, the complexities and timing. So many rules and when to do something matters. Putting all that stuff right in front of you with a countdown clock and a press of a button to get there is heaven sent. In addition to that, once you complete the scouting phase the front end turns to all star and the scouting window turns into Sign your Draftees. It's a clever design. One you do not have to pay attention to to reap the benefits. You do not have to drill down into a myriad of menus.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:51 AM   #7
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13

Hate phases. Don't use it at all, don't pay attention to it. And wish it wasn't there, the layout is worse because of it.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:57 AM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill33
Hate phases. Don't use it at all, don't pay attention to it. And wish it wasn't there, the layout is worse because of it.
So you like the previous years better of things hidden and you have to be very knowledgeable about where to go as well as know the MLB rules as to when to conduct your business? I have a grasp of some things, but I was very ignorant to a lot others and oft times let the CPU handle those things.

I think the menu design of a "1 click dialogue panel" is brilliant.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »