Home

Does The Show not feel stale to anyone else?

This is a discussion on Does The Show not feel stale to anyone else? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-23-2018, 03:57 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Does The Show not feel stale to anyone else?

They make great additions to making the game replicate a real life broadcast. That's great in its own right. But so much of the game keeps looking and feeling more and more similar every year. I watched the history of MLB The Show yesterday. I was amazed at how similar the game is today to games over 5 years ago.

I hate Madden because of their lack of looking like a real broadcast and some other things. But the gameplay at least feels different year after year (for better or for worse). They offer new ways to play. Players move different. Physics have become more and more part of the game over the years. New mechanics. I feel like I have to learn a bit before I can be successful.

The only new mechanic I remember from the Show is analog pitching and hitting. I've never been a fan of it though.

I have a few hundred in Amazon rewards points. But I can't even bring myself to use them to buy it right now. All the streams I've seen look too similar. The only difference I'm seeing from hitting, pitching, or fielding, is the new swing analysis. I'll probably eventually get it once it goes on sale because of my love for the sport and this being the only real simulation.

I'm not sure what the game needs. But it needs something.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2018, 04:11 PM   #2
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Does The Show not feel stale to anyone else?

Doesn't feel stale to me.

New presentation this year, new physics, new player emotion, more animations, the game feels extremely fresh to me.

I'm not sure what people are looking for in the game to not make it feel stale, outside of the wishlist stuff like expansion, relocation, and a host of other items that are wished for to be in the game but aren't. At its core the game is going to play baseball. The sport itself isn't going to change. It will always be throw ball, hit ball, and catch ball. I think SDS does a great job year in and year out to expand upon the sport as it is played on the field, thus making each game a new, well game.

Before anyone accuses me of such, I'm not saying anyone is wrong for feeling the game is stale, just that I don't understand that feeling or have that feeling.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 03-23-2018, 04:26 PM   #3
MVP

underdog13's Arena

Doesn't feel stale at all especially with the new presentation imo.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2018, 04:27 PM   #4
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

If The Show was stale then I might as well give up gaming.
Not sure why sports games these days are supposed to be groundbreaking different every year.
Yes things can get (and I hope they do) added but stale..? Nope.
IMO if you love Baseball... hell no to "Stale"

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 03-23-2018, 04:34 PM   #5
Pro

I think it feels stale because of some of the legacy animations are around! For example you know that every base runner is going to lead off, run and dive back to the bag.

If you have been playing the series since MLB 14 you will definitely notice this as evident in the youtube video you described.

However if you picked up a MLB 17 and MLB 18 you would definitely think different.

I personally wish they would address some of the legacy animations which is probably why when mentioned ton's of new animations have been introduced yeah I notice a few here and there but otherwise I don't see a ton as someone who has been playing the series for a long period of time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2018, 04:37 PM   #6
Pro

breakfastcat's Arena

I sometimes feel like the gameplay can get stale at times. It might just be because I play so much of it, and any game can feel stale after hundreds and hundreds of hours. I think my main issue is that I'm not really a huge fan of any of the pitching meters. I try to rotate between them to freshen up the game, but I think we're due for a new gameplay mechanic. I personally would prefer something similar to the gesture pitching from the MLB 2k series.

Another thing that would make it feel more fresh to me would be a new play by play commentator. I like Matt in real life, but he's been in the game for so long saying the same lines for ever and ever while never really sounding very natural. His commentary pretty much gets tuned out since I've heard pretty much every line he's ever said.

Other than that it's baseball and will always be baseball so there's not a whole lot that can be done to change the game for the better as it already does a stellar job of recreating its sport, and has done so for many years.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:46 PM   #7
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4

Definitely a little on the stale side but it’s honestly not the actual gameplay that makes me feel that way. I don’t want to beat a dead horse here but franchise needs to change. It’s not like it’s bad as is it’s just blah at this point for me.

I know there probably aren’t a lot of FIFA or PES fans in here but the way they handle the end of transfer windows with a clock that winds down really gives a sense of urgency and excitement that the MLB trade deadline really exemplifies. I also like how FIFA has negotiation cutscenes.

They should also steal player meetings from nba2k and a nice draft that has some meat to it. Every major date in the MLB represented in the show is just plain forgettable.

I feel like this phases thing is a stepping stone to more in the future.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:48 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Doesn't feel stale to me.

New presentation this year, new physics, new player emotion, more animations, the game feels extremely fresh to me.

I'm not sure what people are looking for in the game to not make it feel stale, outside of the wishlist stuff like expansion, relocation, and a host of other items that are wished for to be in the game but aren't. At its core the game is going to play baseball. The sport itself isn't going to change. It will always be throw ball, hit ball, and catch ball. I think SDS does a great job year in and year out to expand upon the sport as it is played on the field, thus making each game a new, well game.

Before anyone accuses me of such, I'm not saying anyone is wrong for feeling the game is stale, just that I don't understand that feeling or have that feeling.
My stance on these things are they aren't really gameplay related. They're cosmetic to add to the immersion of the game. Yes it's the game of baseball. That won't change. But we've been doing it EXACTLY the same for how many years now? If I'm not mistaking, the physics have nothing to do with the players themselves (momentum, players not passing through each other). But it's just revolved around how the ball comes off the bat.

I'm not really sure what the game needs.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »