Home

CPU Bullpen logic issues remain in 18!

This is a discussion on CPU Bullpen logic issues remain in 18! within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-13-2018, 07:20 PM   #33

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: CPU Bullpen logic issues remain in 18!

Next year there will be a game option for Bullpen AI and we will have choices of "normal manager" or "Kapler."
Old 04-13-2018, 07:50 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Next year there will be a game option for Bullpen AI and we will have choices of "normal manager" or "Kapler."
Forgive me, as this is kinda off topic, but I don't follow the Phillies. What has Kapler done with his bullpen that is so bad or abnormal?
Old 04-13-2018, 08:10 PM   #35

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktd1976
Forgive me, as this is kinda off topic, but I don't follow the Phillies. What has Kapler done with his bullpen that is so bad or abnormal?
Too off topic for this thread and that was just a light hearted joke.

If you're truly curious ask in the MLB forum here: https://forums.operationsports.com/f...on-thread.html

Many would be happy (or furious) to discuss.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2018, 08:33 PM   #36
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

Couldn't the OP just change the Manager Hook slider to under 5 for the CPU so the starter doesn't get pulled so early? Just saying...maybe that's another solution.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:25 PM   #37
#realtalk

dalger21's Arena

OVR: 7

I will say this about the bullpen logic while playing strictly RttS - I have seen a lot of questionable decisions that would unlikely be made in today's game (sans Gabe Kapler). I've seen several time where a reliever has pitched 4 or 5 innings or the closer gets pulled after allowing a couple of hits and still has the lead.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:58 PM   #38
MVP

AUTiger1's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
I don't know how a true sim baseball guy takes so few pitches.

The harsh reality is, SDS is aware that many of its customers are swing happy, which throws off the pitch count. You are who they made Quick Counts for. But further, most people that are so swing happy aren't focused on pitch counts, so I'm sure SDS included AI logic to consider inning and hits given up as part of the decision making process to pull an AI pitcher.

Honestly, this is a feature, not a bug. The inability of video game baseball players not to swing at every pitch has been the bane of every baseball game dev's existence.

Good hitters take strikes all the time. That curveball low the zone for a strike? That is a not a good pitch to swing at with no strikes. Wait for your pitch. If you are so gun ho to swing at everything, then working with two strikes ought to be easy for you. But you might find some nice juicy pitches out over the plate along the way.

Look at what you did. You managed 7 hits in 6 innings and scored no runs. And you did it by averaging just 1.76 pitches a batter. Maybe take some pitches, and instead of empty singles, you might find some pitches to drive for extra bases and drive in some runs.

The average number of pitches per at-bat is 4. Had you done exactly that with the same results, the pitcher would have been at 100 pitches by the the 7th.

My personal goal every inning, especially when the starter is till in, is to see 15 pitches every inning, minimum. That gets me to 90 pitches after 6 innings. I don't always make it, but sometimes I can drive it up well over that. But it gets me in the mindset to wait for good pitches.
That doesn't excuse the AI putting in their closer in the 7th inning of a game in which the team is losing like I've seen happen multiple times.
Detroit Red Wings
Winnipeg Jets
Old 04-14-2018, 12:29 AM   #39
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTiger1
That doesn't excuse the AI putting in their closer in the 7th inning of a game in which the team is losing like I've seen happen multiple times.
I have yet to see (in almost 50 franchise games) the CPU put their closer in before the 9th inning.....
Old 04-14-2018, 02:11 AM   #40
MVP

AUTiger1's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktd1976
I have yet to see (in almost 50 franchise games) the CPU put their closer in before the 9th inning.....
I've only played a handful of games and I've seen it twice already. Cardinals did it with Greg Holland when I was playing against them. They were losing and he got put in in the 6th or 7th. Then it happened another time. Can't remember which team it was, Rockies and Wade Davis I think, and exact same type situation. I was winning and they put him in in the 6th or 7th inning.
Detroit Red Wings
Winnipeg Jets

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »