Home

Getting picked off CONSTANTLY

This is a discussion on Getting picked off CONSTANTLY within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-19-2018, 06:06 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: Getting picked off CONSTANTLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jada855
Yeah this is all unfortunately true a fundamental that has plagued the game for a long time. Holding the left stick is the answer unfortunately!

Also if you hold L1 it will go into that horrible standing on one knee pose animation. It's similar to holding the left analog stick but you can test your reflexes a bit and make it slightly more challenging!

It's been to many years with the series for me! The game is fun and has some high points.

I am not a developer but I just feel some of the core baseball fundamentals of the game got neglected as the series continued on. Now at this point in the series I am just realizing it is what it is!
one thing I have noticed is if I have a high base running rating I don't get picked off nearly as much despite constant throw overs. Perhaps that is part of it?
Old 04-20-2018, 01:16 AM   #18
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremser_Rules
one thing I have noticed is if I have a high base running rating I don't get picked off nearly as much despite constant throw overs. Perhaps that is part of it?
Bremser_Rules,

I wish that were the case where attributes in this context affected the actual gameplay in these situations. In the video below. You can see what I believe the OP is referring too.

There are two lead off points in the game. Initial or default and when you press R1 slightly more than default. Regardless of distance you will be thrown out and never called safe.

The only way to be called safe when leading off is to hold the analog stick towards the bag. This is where there seems to be a program or logic breakdown in the game. The runners base running attributes are maxed out at 99. The pitcher is a rookie but every pitcher has the same 100% pickoff move regardless of rating.

Sometimes I think about if defensive and base running fundamentals we more established in earlier versions of the game how would that play out now in MLB 18! I think it would be even more phenomenal! But from my perspective just can't give game play a pass or the green light too much missing!

Video Example
Old 04-20-2018, 10:28 AM   #19
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Baserunning is definitely a weak point in the game and the cat/mouse game of leadoffs/pickoffs is probably the weakest part of that. I agree with others the moving the pickoff slider to 0 is the best way to go

Sent from my SM-G920V using Operation Sports mobile app

Watch me play video games
Old 04-20-2018, 02:13 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 1

I'm not sure where this setting is, but anytime the CPU tries to pick me off it goes into slow motion...this gives me a chance to react. Any idea where this setting is?
Old 04-20-2018, 04:07 PM   #21
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbball14
I'm not sure where this setting is, but anytime the CPU tries to pick me off it goes into slow motion...this gives me a chance to react. Any idea where this setting is?
txbball14,

Are you playing RTTS? If so I don't think it can be turned off. I play Franchise Mode Player lock and thankfully it does not happen.

I am on patch 1.05 of MLB 18 so I am not sure if it got added in with patch 1.06 or 1.07. I stay disconnected from the internet when I play. This slow mo effect was in MLB 16 and I believe MLB 17 for a short period of time.

Go Away Show Time
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2019, 10:20 AM   #22
Rookie

bumping this cause this is one of the most annoying game killers for me. I had not read about using the left stick so I will try that. I always use the R1 button since the L1 leads off and R1 reduces your lead. Why the Left stick would move him back is beyond me and why this is not mentioned in the game controls is also baffling. This is a very frustrating issue that causes me to get picked off 90% of the time when I take push L1 to take a lead off the bag.

I submitted a bug report and hope other will as well so the Devs will fix this issue. I dont mind the CPU throwing over. But PLEASE FOR THE SAKE OF MANKIND TURN DOWN THE AMOUNT OF TIMES YOU GET PICKED OFF

All Bugs should be reported here: https://theshownation.com/bugs/new
Old 05-24-2019, 01:13 PM   #23
Pro

FYI the devs have confirmed the existence of a hidden pickoff rating for pitchers.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »