Home

Enough with the predictable foul balls!!!

This is a discussion on Enough with the predictable foul balls!!! within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-07-2018, 08:31 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Enough with the predictable foul balls!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville102001
only .4% of at bats lasted 10+ pitches that year so no it dont happend that often in real life. I would say in this game if i play on HOF that on average i see like 1-2 of these per game. Say on average i give up 9 hits in a game and walk 3 guys and have 1 guy hit into a double play that is going to be 38 batters that end up batting in a game. So if i have 1 10+ pitch at bat in the game that is like around 2.5% of the time or like 6 times has much has in real life.

So the next question is: what is happening to cause the game to generate so many long ABs?

Is it the pitcher not trying to induce chases on ball well out of the zone (very difficult to make contact or taken for an eventual walk)? Is it too much contact in the zone (Z-Contact too high by default)? Out of zone contact too high (chases don't make misses enough, O-Contact too high by default?)

Is it simply just too much foul contact? I.e. everything else is decent (chase contact, zone contact, chase rates) but when bat hits ball, it's foul too much? Perhaps raising (not lowering) contact or timing would help combat this. This would increase the chance of keeping the ball between the white lines.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2018, 10:02 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

I use meter pitching & if I see an AB starting to drag out, I put a little extra mustard on a pitch & max the meter out with a toss somewhere just out of the zone. Otherwise I alternate back & forth on my delivery, 1 pitch half full meter, 1 pitch zero empty on the meter.

A Work in Progress
Old 05-08-2018, 01:26 AM   #27
All Star

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
So the next question is: what is happening to cause the game to generate so many long ABs?

Is it the pitcher not trying to induce chases on ball well out of the zone (very difficult to make contact or taken for an eventual walk)? Is it too much contact in the zone (Z-Contact too high by default)? Out of zone contact too high (chases don't make misses enough, O-Contact too high by default?)

Is it simply just too much foul contact? I.e. everything else is decent (chase contact, zone contact, chase rates) but when bat hits ball, it's foul too much? Perhaps raising (not lowering) contact or timing would help combat this. This would increase the chance of keeping the ball between the white lines.
I dont know but its something i notice to often on HOF but dont really see it if i play below that but the thing is CPU dont score enough or get enough hits and it is to easy to locate pitches if i play on All star. What i tend to notice is on those long at bats its like no matter how much i mix up location or pitch type or speed CPU just fouls balls off and to often will foul off hard to hit pitches or will to often take a pitch that is like just out of the zone that is a really hard take.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:26 AM   #28
Pro

shark547's Arena

I didn't think I could play above veteran because of years past and I still was running in to it on veteran quite a bit. I now know I can compete on All Star and barely lose a game there.

My issue with HOF is pitchers missing spots by over a foot constantly and the incredibly high rate of errors I have seen from my team. Granted I haven't played a lot of games and some of it may have been server issues so.......
Old 05-10-2018, 05:26 AM   #29
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark547
I didn't think I could play above veteran because of years past and I still was running in to it on veteran quite a bit. I now know I can compete on All Star and barely lose a game there.

My issue with HOF is pitchers missing spots by over a foot constantly and the incredibly high rate of errors I have seen from my team. Granted I haven't played a lot of games and some of it may have been server issues so.......
I'm on Dynamic with the slider set @ 10 & it's constantly shuttling me between All-Star & HoF. Best of both worlds.

A Work in Progress
Old 05-14-2018, 03:44 PM   #30
Rookie

I've definitely had a lion's share of these types of at-bats, but none that felt unrealistic to me. It happens in real life all the time. And as for the occasions where you feel it coming a couple pitches into the at-bat, I feel like that's realistic as well, especially when a pitcher has been cruising with quick outs. Some hitters try to counteract that by approaching their at-bat from the start with the mindset of driving up the pitcher's pitch count.

I approach these at-bats just like a real pitcher would, and there are several options (some of these have already been mentioned): 1. Continue with the same types of sequences, live with the count, and hope that you "win" the at-bat, 2. Try to extend the zone more an either induce a chase or live with the BB, 3. Pitch more to contact to try to get the ball in play (obviously not a good choice for plus power hitters), and 4. Throw it at his hip (not a realistic approach or my personal method of choice).

When I get fairly deep into an AB, I generally go with choice 2 to above average hitters, choice 3 to below average hitters, and choice 1 to average hitters. This obviously changes based on game situations such as the score, the stage of the game, and the pitcher's current pitch count.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »