Home

Stealing is Impossible

This is a discussion on Stealing is Impossible within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-13-2018, 05:29 PM   #9
Pro

Bunselpower32's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Stealing is Impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777
Yep, it really needs to be toned down.
But this is the problem, just like rocket bunts, and a few other things. Instead of making the players behave more realistically, they add something else that almost never happens but does enough to make it pass and uses that to counter the first thing.

Prime example is rocket bunts. Guys were exploiting the slow and inappropriate infield reaction time to get cheap hits. So instead of improving the fielder response to bunts OR making bunt ratings mean something and improving bunt controls, they just made bad bunters rocket bunt. But now when guys are actually laying them down to beat shifts and when sacrifices are legitimate, the ball is pounded to the fielder, resulting in lead outs all the time.

Then, when that became a problem, they changed the AI logic to always throw to 1B on a sacrifice situation, completely negating the possibility for a bad bunt and lead out to naturally happen, so now it never happens.

This is where baserunning is headed if they don't tear it down and fix it. Building a bad principle will only lead to needing worse over corrections to crop up later.

#2 in your program, #1 in our hearts. You will be missed, Red.

- Rick Wise
Old 06-13-2018, 05:59 PM   #10
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwayMac
Don’t even worry about a lead or holding and releasing L2. Just press L2 once, the. Hold L1 in through the pitchers pitch.

The idea is that your runner is leaning and can get a good jump on the pitch, and because he did not take a lead, it does not draw the pitchers attention. Try it!
I will have to try this, because I cannot steal this year to save my life. Very frustrating.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:08 PM   #11
Pro

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill33
I will have to try this, because I cannot steal this year to save my life. Very frustrating.
Yep, it works great. I used to hold down L2 and release as the pitcher released, but this way you don’t even need to worry about it. The runner will jump at the right time. The higher ranked stealers will get great jumps a lot of the time, and the others may get slower jumps. OCCASIONALLY you will get caught off the bag, but very rate. Just remember. Press let once, let it vibrate, and then hold L1 from then through the pitch.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2018, 11:11 PM   #12
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

BTW, anyone else find it really hard to get a good jump stealing 3rd? Most of the time there’s a hefty delay after you release L2 even with the best base-stealers.

Last edited by jeffy777; 06-14-2018 at 04:34 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:48 PM   #13
Rookie

Vanilla_Gorilla's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777
BTW, anyone else find it really hard to get a good jump stealing 3rd? Most of the time there’s a hefty delay after you release L2 even with the best base-stealers.
Yep, I've had this problem too. There's a heavy hesitation with it for some reason.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:28 PM   #14
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

I still haven't had a chance to play since wanting to try this technique of holding L1 when attempting to steal, but I did want to mention that I still feel as though the CPU holds runners on first too often.

There are plenty of situations where the AI will have the first basemen holding a runner that they wouldn't be doing in real life. It has been this way for years.

I am really hoping that with the new tagging system being implemented this year that in the future they take a look at baserunning and rework a lot of that. Leading-off and the slide system could use an overhaul, in my opinion.

Perhaps making it where you actually hit the button to take 1ft incremental steps to lead from the base would make things better. Right now it is an all or nothing kind of venture with taking steps during a lead. Would be cool to see the on-screen graphic and overlay displaying how far you are in terms of feet from the base, or maybe better runners default to a larger lead to start with and work from there.

Regardless, you shouldn't be tied to an animation in an attempt to retreat to the base during a pick-off. If I am the one running the bases then I should feel in complete control of that aspect. Not reliant upon a dice roll of whether or not my guy got back during an extended lead. I took the extended lead, let me return him as soon as I hit the button prompt to do so, please.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:25 PM   #15
Pro

Bunselpower32's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill33
I still haven't had a chance to play since wanting to try this technique of holding L1 when attempting to steal, but I did want to mention that I still feel as though the CPU holds runners on first too often.

There are plenty of situations where the AI will have the first basemen holding a runner that they wouldn't be doing in real life. It has been this way for years.

I am really hoping that with the new tagging system being implemented this year that in the future they take a look at baserunning and rework a lot of that. Leading-off and the slide system could use an overhaul, in my opinion.

Perhaps making it where you actually hit the button to take 1ft incremental steps to lead from the base would make things better. Right now it is an all or nothing kind of venture with taking steps during a lead. Would be cool to see the on-screen graphic and overlay displaying how far you are in terms of feet from the base, or maybe better runners default to a larger lead to start with and work from there.

Regardless, you shouldn't be tied to an animation in an attempt to retreat to the base during a pick-off. If I am the one running the bases then I should feel in complete control of that aspect. Not reliant upon a dice roll of whether or not my guy got back during an extended lead. I took the extended lead, let me return him as soon as I hit the button prompt to do so, please.
Can't like this enough.

#2 in your program, #1 in our hearts. You will be missed, Red.

- Rick Wise
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2018, 03:34 PM   #16
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwayMac
Don’t even worry about a lead or holding and releasing L2. Just press L2 once, the. Hold L1 in through the pitchers pitch.

The idea is that your runner is leaning and can get a good jump on the pitch, and because he did not take a lead, it does not draw the pitchers attention. Try it!
Finally got around to trying this and I did have some success with it. Went 4 for 6 in steals with players that had low steal ratings but decent speed. So that is an improvement for my team. Really helps to be able to have a threat of stealing in certain situations and counts. Keeps the CPU honest and manufactures more offense for my team so it isn't all homers and doubles that drives everyone in.

Thanks!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »