Home

HDR on or Off?

This is a discussion on HDR on or Off? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-01-2019, 11:40 PM   #81
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: HDR on or Off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
I have the same tv and yeah, the backlight needs to be maxed manually.

I actually still haven't tried HDR in the game because I got my slim PS4 on input 5 to get the better input lag. I might switch it over to 4 to see how the HDR looks.
That is the second best Vizio of 2018 next to the Quantum and it is great for gaming due to 15 ms of input lag but at the expense of HDR. I think HDR is close to 28ms which sucks for shooters and hitting but definitely doable for casual gaming

The input lag if you set the ps4 to 1080p is 10ms

Last edited by PVarck31; 04-02-2019 at 12:16 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2019, 12:16 AM   #82
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxGamerXx
That is the second best Vizio of 2018 next to the Quantum and it is great for gaming due to 15 ms of input lag but at the expense of HDR. I think HDR is close to 28ms which sucks for shooters and hitting but definitely doable for casual gaming

The input lag if you set the ps4 to 1080p is 10ms
Yeah I'm running the game at 1080p and just tried it with HDR and it just looks kinda dull. Kinda darker and less colorful.

EDIT: I messed with some settings and now I think I got it dialed in. It looks really good as far as contrast. There isn't good contrast on SDR. Or at least not as good. I think the darkish tint is coming from the shadows cast over the field in some spots.

This was actually in a day game. I just started a night game and it doesn't look all that great. I don't know. Maybe it's just me. Seems like the colors are more vibrant in SDR in night games.

As far as input lag, seems to be fine for both hitting and pitching. But like I said I'm playing in 1080p so you said that should be 15ms right?

Last edited by PVarck31; 04-02-2019 at 12:24 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:00 AM   #83
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
Yeah I'm running the game at 1080p and just tried it with HDR and it just looks kinda dull. Kinda darker and less colorful.

EDIT: I messed with some settings and now I think I got it dialed in. It looks really good as far as contrast. There isn't good contrast on SDR. Or at least not as good. I think the darkish tint is coming from the shadows cast over the field in some spots.

This was actually in a day game. I just started a night game and it doesn't look all that great. I don't know. Maybe it's just me. Seems like the colors are more vibrant in SDR in night games.

As far as input lag, seems to be fine for both hitting and pitching. But like I said I'm playing in 1080p so you said that should be 15ms right?
The HDR on the tv is average at best because it does not reach 1000 nits at all even in 2% or 10% windows which is the bright highlights in objects like lamps and headlights in cars

that tv is better in SDR mode as the brightness is a bit better and input lag in HDMI 5 is real low in 4k at 15 ms and if you set it to 1080p it goes down to 10

But that is SDR as the low input lag is only on HDMI 5 and non HDR
Old 04-02-2019, 03:17 AM   #84
MVP

Looks way better with it off on my set. My set is pretty budget and turns out the nits are only like 300. Jumped the gun and bought this set before doing much research smh. But yeah way better with it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 04-02-2019, 08:14 AM   #85
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Tigers
Looks way better with it off on my set. My set is pretty budget and turns out the nits are only like 300. Jumped the gun and bought this set before doing much research smh. But yeah way better with it off.

Yea makes sense as it would be better off. Some companies market HDR and people see that not knowing there are levels to how real or good it can be.

As long as the tv has low input lag and you save money you good
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2019, 08:43 AM   #86
Rookie

elfdutch's Arena

Have always played the show and a samsung 1080p tv, 55 inch.
Recently bought 2018 model 65 inch 4k hdr with full array local dimming.

I turned on HDR and the colors are really vibrant.
Turned it off yesterday to see the difference and the colors now look really flat when not using hdr.
No going back for me...hdr all the way!
Old 04-02-2019, 08:56 AM   #87
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

It is bizarre but the only game that I have played that is HDR capable and turn it off is The Show.

It always looks washed out.

Yet Madden, NBA2K and Horizon Dawn (especially Horizon) looks amazing.

So I play balanced and no HDR and the game looks gorgeous and my frame rate has been on point.

43’ Sony XBR HDR 4K

Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 04-02-2019, 10:37 AM   #88
Pro

OVR: 14

I am play on 55 inch tcl p607, ps4 pro, sharper setting with hdr enabled. For me, I am loving it. I tried faster setting but had jaggies everywhere and it visually frustrated me.

I get occasional hiccups, but it is very tolerable. I will say there is big difference from 18 to 19 on faster setting. I enjoyed the frame-rate on 18 and how smooth the game was.

Like I said, for me, when playin 19 I am pleased with the sharper setting. I know I am in the minority but really love how smooth it is playing in this setting.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »