Home

HDR on or Off?

This is a discussion on HDR on or Off? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Most Anticipated Sports Games of 2023
Five Ways EA Sports PGA Tour Can Improve Golf Career Modes
Undisputed Early Access Impressions - Coming for the Belt

Old 03-27-2019, 11:36 AM   #25
Rookie

esham313's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: HDR on or Off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxRnSxX
So on my Sony TV, when I turn HDR, I put it on game mode but soon as I enable the live football option it goes to the sports setting. I guess it doesnít really matter on or off, your getting a pretty good picture either way. Iím gonna see what playing on the sharpest (4k) setting looks and feels like.
Why not just calibrate your tv under the Game setting? But yes, switching to Live Football Mode is a completely different setting. I have the Sony 900E and play on Game mode with HDR on and the pic looks photo realistic. I would suggest rtings.com for TV calibration settings if you aren't liking your picture.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2019, 11:38 AM   #26
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by esham313
Why not just calibrate your tv under the Game setting? But yes, switching to Live Football Mode is a completely different setting. I have the Sony 900E and play on Game mode with HDR on and the pic looks photo realistic. I would suggest rtings.com for TV calibration settings if you aren't liking your picture.
Tried rtings.com, wasn't impressed, I like the brightness better with HDR off, it looks good either way.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:52 AM   #27
Rookie

esham313's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxRnSxX
Tried rtings.com, wasn't impressed, I like the brightness better with HDR off, it looks good either way.
When in HDR mode, do you have X-tended Dynamic Range and Auto Local Dimming set to high as well as Brightness Maxed out? But ya, with it off the colors pop but don't look realistic to me.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:43 PM   #28
MVP

tnixen's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21
HDR for me looks phenomenal this year. I’m using a Sony x800d 43” so defintently nowhere near an elite TV but everything is spot on to me. I have my TV setup to rtings recommendations if that matters for anyone using the same tv.
I have the Sony X800d 43 inch as well and agree HDR looks fantastic although I am not using rtings recommended settings.

As with all HDR sets you just need to fool around with your TV's picture settings until you get it perfect. It took me awhile but I am really happy with the results. To my eyes MLB The Show 19 colors really pop and are vivid while still looking very natural and realistic.

And as TheBleedingRed21 said the Sony X800d is no where near an elite TV so with higher end TV's you should be able to see even better HDR results.

Last edited by tnixen; 03-27-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:18 PM   #29
Rookie

Jon Arbuckle's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonIsGod
Try turning on contrast enhancer.
Contrast enhancer set at least at 'low' is essential when watching HDR content on certain Samsungs.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:38 PM   #30
MVP

dubplate's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Arbuckle
Contrast enhancer set at least at 'low' is essential when watching HDR content on certain Samsungs.
I thought Dynamic Contrast was known to crush blacks and was recommended to be set to off for that reason.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:41 PM   #31
Rookie

I have a Samsung NU8000 and picture looks so much better without HDR on. Picture is a lot darker with HDR
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2019, 01:45 PM   #32
MVP

sva91's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPuddy
MLB 19

So Iíve noticed like a lot of HDR games, they looked washed out when turned on, but turn it off, it looks better. What do you think ?

Iím on a Sony 930e

Iíve had this issue before. Sometimes you have to make sure everything is turned on in your ps4 video output settings. Make sure those are correct first.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »