Home

I just made the biggest gaffe in my 11 year history of playing the Show

This is a discussion on I just made the biggest gaffe in my 11 year history of playing the Show within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-01-2020, 09:06 PM   #1
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0
I just made the biggest gaffe in my 11 year history of playing the Show

I was playing the as my 2014 carry over Jays @ the Giants and I was totally focused on hitting. They came out with a hell of a starter and their bullpen ain't to shabby either so I was going total focus on offense.

I was kind of zoning out on defense. I knew my pitcher was doing well but I wasn't really keeping track of how well. All of a sudden I realized it was the seventh and a thought popped into my head.

"Is he pitching a perfect game?"

I'm unsure so I wait for the scorebug between innings and the it is. No hits up 3-0. I check the boxscore and yup no walks.

I know he doesn't have great endurance so I start warming up my setup man to start the 8th. Of course then I walk the first batter on 5 pitches. Ok, that's baseball. Still got a shot at the no-no. Next batter grounds into a double play. Awesome.

Then I go to the bullpen to put my setup man into ready and waiting. Except I don't click ready and waiting. I click put in game.

I didn't throw the controller, it more leaped out of my hands at an accelerated rate as I violently cringed in utter disgust and embarrassment at myself.

I had to walk away. I put the PS4 in sleep mode. It's still there, inside the machine, waiting for me the next time I turn it on. I may never play my PS4 again.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2020, 09:13 PM   #2
Rookie

Ace2734's Arena

Re: I just made the biggest gaffe in my 11 year history of playing the Show

The game has been suspended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2020, 09:17 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
I was playing the as my 2014 carry over Jays @ the Giants and I was totally focused on hitting. They came out with a hell of a starter and their bullpen ain't to shabby either so I was going total focus on offense.

I was kind of zoning out on defense. I knew my pitcher was doing well but I wasn't really keeping track of how well. All of a sudden I realized it was the seventh and a thought popped into my head.

"Is he pitching a perfect game?"

I'm unsure so I wait for the scorebug between innings and the it is. No hits up 3-0. I check the boxscore and yup no walks.

I know he doesn't have great endurance so I start warming up my setup man to start the 8th. Of course then I walk the first batter on 5 pitches. Ok, that's baseball. Still got a shot at the no-no. Next batter grounds into a double play. Awesome.

Then I go to the bullpen to put my setup man into ready and waiting. Except I don't click ready and waiting. I click put in game.

I didn't throw the controller, it more leaped out of my hands at an accelerated rate as I violently cringed in utter disgust and embarrassment at myself.

I had to walk away. I put the PS4 in sleep mode. It's still there, inside the machine, waiting for me the next time I turn it on. I may never play my PS4 again.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
I'm shaking my head as i read this post. Man...that's a tough way to lose a possible no hitter. They say things happen for a reason though. At least you still have a ps4 controller if you decide to play out the remaining innings. I feel your pain bro.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:41 AM   #4
Rookie

Lol I feel your pain. It’s an easy mistake to make. 2 days ago I did the same thing, but the consequences weren’t much. I went to the pen to start warming up Max Fried and must have accidentally selected put in game because when I got my 3rd our and it went to the next inning, Fried was ice cold and on the mound to throw his 8 pitches.

My biggest brain farts tend to happen on the base paths where I will completely run myself out of rallies for no particular reason at all
Old 07-02-2020, 10:44 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

I used to bring in the wrong reliever all the time. I’d have the set up man warming up and pinch hit for my pitcher. When the inning ends I get prompted to bring in a new pitcher, the bullpen shows my set up man warming up with his info showing on the screen so I’d just hit X to bring him in, not realizing I never scrolled down to select him. Instead I selected the first guy that shows in my list of available relievers. So instead of my setup man I brought in my long reliever who hadn’t warmed up at all
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2020, 11:21 AM   #6
Rookie

This happened to me once but I didn't realize it until the whole team rushed the mound after my closer threw the last strike.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:19 PM   #7
MVP

Spanky's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
I used to bring in the wrong reliever all the time. I’d have the set up man warming up and pinch hit for my pitcher. When the inning ends I get prompted to bring in a new pitcher, the bullpen shows my set up man warming up with his info showing on the screen so I’d just hit X to bring him in, not realizing I never scrolled down to select him. Instead I selected the first guy that shows in my list of available relievers. So instead of my setup man I brought in my long reliever who hadn’t warmed up at all
This has happened to me a couple of times, and the thing that sucks about it is the stupid new rule where he has to pitch to three batters.

As for the OP, just chalk it up as a Jim Joyce moment.

"What? You can't challenge a scoring play?''
Old 07-02-2020, 06:49 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

WW, might I remind you combined no-hitters are rare and more special than the regular old run-of-the-mill variety. imagine the intensity a reliever must feel to keep the combination going. finish the task and get that no-no!

A Work in Progress

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »