Home

Double play city.

This is a discussion on Double play city. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-27-2019, 12:41 PM   #17
Rookie

Ace1234NY's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Double play city.

This was definitely an issue I had last year where I played a 162 game season, led the league in GIDP, and it wasn't even remotely close. I actually think it's a bit better this year. I feel like on some softer ground balls its possible for decent speed batters to beat it out at 1st. I'm only through 14 games but Iast checked I was like 4th. Still high, but not unrealistically blowing everyone else away. What I have observed are insanely slick turns at 2nd. Like almost every 2B and SS seem like they can catch a ball and then throw it full strength to first in one continuous motion. They should probably have to catch it, shift themselves, then reach back in the glove for the ball. And this should take a little time. Obv elite fielders would be quicker. The other thing is it just feels like it takes batters so long to get to first. Even guys with good speed. I don't know what it is other than maybe they seem to get out of the box really slow. Maybe lowering infield throw strength slider is the way to go. But I don't know if that will throw off other things, like the timing of throws from SS or 3B to 1st.

Last edited by Ace1234NY; 05-27-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:44 PM   #18
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

Oddly enough, this is my first year where I haven't been near the top of the league in this stat. It may have something to do with the fact that my team OBP is sub .300, but I've also been a bit more choosy when it comes to low pitches in the zone. Changed my batting camera angle this year which may have helped. If it's going to be right at the bottom of the zone, I'll lay off of it, even if I'm likely going to get K'd up.

I can't seem to lay off of the high fastballs now though
Old 05-27-2019, 03:07 PM   #19
Pro

MJDrocks's Arena

Player speed in this game has always been a joke. Anyone with 70+ speed should routinely beat out double plays but instead they're out easily every time. Anyone below 50 speed moves like a slug.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:44 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

I prefer not to bunt with non-pitchers but from time to time I will if its a situation where I have a slow runner on first and weak hitter at the plate. As long as I dont have the most gidp's, I dont mind (as much) having second most. thankfully bunting is better in 19 than last couple years. also, I use timing hitting and rarely use influence but I will sometimes push up for a fly if I have a slow batter with power that has bad bunting skills.

A Work in Progress
Old 05-27-2019, 05:22 PM   #21
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Double play city.

Really try to take more pitches with a man on first. The CPU will pound the lower half of the zone early in the count. Almost guaranteed.

Unless he makes a big mistake up in the zone early in the count.....lay off those below the waste pitches, work the count to 2-1, 2-2, 3-2 and you will have a lot better success avoiding double plays.

It is not 100% unavoidable of course. It’s baseball. They will happen. But not as high a clip as you may be seeing.

Really tighten up your plate discipline. Oh and learn to steal bases more effectively with 75 speed or higher guys....which will also make you take more pitches.

Bunting is also a great skill to have in certain situations.

Mix it up!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 05-27-2019 at 05:50 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2019, 07:08 PM   #22
Pro

shark547's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
Really try to take more pitches with a man on first. The CPU will pound the lower half of the zone early in the count. Almost guaranteed.

Unless he makes a big mistake up in the zone early in the count.....lay off those below the waste pitches, work the count to 2-1, 2-2, 3-2 and you will have a lot better success avoiding double plays.

It is not 100% unavoidable of course. It’s baseball. They will happen. But not as high a clip as you may be seeing.

Really tighten up your plate discipline. Oh and learn to steal bases more effectively with 75 speed or higher guys....which will also make you take more pitches.

Bunting is also a great skill to have in certain situations.

Mix it up!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Yeah, but chicks dig the long ball.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:03 PM   #23
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark547
Yeah, but chicks dig the long ball.
smart chicks dig winning more

A Work in Progress
Old 05-28-2019, 11:56 PM   #24
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJDrocks
Player speed in this game has always been a joke. Anyone with 70+ speed should routinely beat out double plays but instead they're out easily every time. Anyone below 50 speed moves like a slug.
The joke is how it plays so radically different in the field versus on the basepaths. You can pretty much cover the entire outfield without ever having to dive with a modestly fast outfielder, and almost any middle infielder can get to a ball up the middle without issue. Now place these guys on the basepaths and they move like they're dragging weights.
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »