Home

Defense is AWFUL

This is a discussion on Defense is AWFUL within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-17-2019, 09:31 AM   #33
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Defense is AWFUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypeRNT
Why is this thread not locked? It should be locked since it should be under the "impressions" thread, like mine has, if you are going to lash out against threads that dont give you only positive responses might as well treat them all even then.
Well, yours was sort of a review of the entire game. This is specific to fielding. So, I ask you why the moderators aren't "lashing out" against this thread as it certainly isn't giving a positive view of the game. Shouldn't they run to close this, in your view?

Did you ever post your summary of the game in the impressions thread if it's so important?
Old 06-19-2019, 09:38 AM   #34
Banned

I agree defense is infuriating. As much as SDS stated fielding ratings MATTERED, i feel all players play the same. As the Yankees Stanton and Judge Constantly drop and misplay fly balls.... right underneath the ball and they just drop it. Didi botches at least two groundballs a game, it’s a joke. We need another MLBgame. Let’s be real this is just about a copy n paste from last year, and the fact people are ok with that and praise it are exactly why SDS doesn’t change anything in their games. Yes they added contract extensions yippee. How about big changes like oh i don’t know the REST of them sports titles ?
Old 06-19-2019, 10:08 AM   #35
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyb6
I agree defense is infuriating. As much as SDS stated fielding ratings MATTERED, i feel all players play the same. As the Yankees Stanton and Judge Constantly drop and misplay fly balls.... right underneath the ball and they just drop it. Didi botches at least two groundballs a game, it’s a joke. We need another MLBgame. Let’s be real this is just about a copy n paste from last year, and the fact people are ok with that and praise it are exactly why SDS doesn’t change anything in their games. Yes they added contract extensions yippee. How about big changes like oh i don’t know the REST of them sports titles ?
Not my experience at all.

I put Harrison Bader in centerfield who is a diamond/gold rated defender (90's in reaction/fielding) vs a C.J. McElroy who is in the low 70's in both those attributes and I can tell a vast difference. Bader not only tracks down balls in the gap better (they have the similar speed ratings 94 vs 93), but he is also more likely to make a diving/sliding catch, or make a catch up against the wall versus McElroy.

I put Ozzie Albies at shortstop who is again a diamond/gold rated defender vs Greg Garcia who is in the high 60's/low 70's and I can tell a vast difference. Albies will not only get to balls deep in the hole or up the middle, but he will also trigger slide animation stops whereas Garcia doesn't.

I know a few people have had issues with defense this year, but I personally think defense is simply amazing. Is it ratings due to my carryover versus starting fresh? I don't know, but I don't see the "issues" that some are experiencing with defense.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2019, 12:32 PM   #36
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy

I put Harrison Bader in centerfield who is a diamond/gold rated defender (90's in reaction/fielding) vs a C.J. McElroy who is in the low 70's in both those attributes and I can tell a vast difference. Bader not only tracks down balls in the gap better (they have the similar speed ratings 94 vs 93), but he is also more likely to make a diving/sliding catch, or make a catch up against the wall versus McElroy.

I put Ozzie Albies at shortstop who is again a diamond/gold rated defender vs Greg Garcia who is in the high 60's/low 70's and I can tell a vast difference. Albies will not only get to balls deep in the hole or up the middle, but he will also trigger slide animation stops whereas Garcia doesn't.

I know a few people have had issues with defense this year, but I personally think defense is simply amazing. Is it ratings due to my carryover versus starting fresh? I don't know, but I don't see the "issues" that some are experiencing with defense.
Agreed 100%.

I started a fresh Jays franchise, and love the improved D. With a guy like Teoscar Hernandez, it's a GD infuriating adventure on defense (just like real life). With higher rated defenders like Grichuk, Brito or Toles (traded for him), there's a pretty significant difference.

I even played around with Freddy Galvis's numbers. First 20 games for me, he had 8 errors (granted, 2 of them were from me double tapping and cancelling the throw...I'm an idiot). Upped his fielding numbers, and there's been a huge difference.

I also love the pitcher fielding improvements.

I will say that fielding isn't perfect though. One thing that I'm not super into is the lack of fielding error animations. It seems like ever ball that goes through someone like Baby Vlad is just him reaching for a grounder and it going by. There have been a few instances where he's knocked a ball down that comes right at him, but they usually result in a 50/50 play at first, which is a big improvement.

Overall though, it's a huge step forward.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:14 PM   #37
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

Quote:

The differences are SO obvious. On my fantasy Braves roster I have a fielding "butcher" in LF who can hit, but oh Lordy does his fielding deficiency show in the field. It's almost laughable. I've a CF who can flat out go get the ball and a LF who is better suited as a DH.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:57 PM   #38
Banned

I guess it is experience based, I wish I had you're experience tbh lol. I average 2 errors a game on the most ROUTINE plays, I.e simple ground balls to shortstop easy flyouts to the outfield etc

Quote:

Old 06-20-2019, 01:54 PM   #39
Rookie

Lots of hyperbole makes it hard to take you serious, it is the weakest part of the show yes, but far from "Trash". Def an area of improvement though.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:55 PM   #40
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyb6
I call Bs on this, Ratings make a HUGE difference, maybe your game is broken? Playing wiht a low rated versus high rated defender is a big difference .

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »