Home

How trade happy do you get & when?

This is a discussion on How trade happy do you get & when? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-03-2019, 12:01 AM   #25
Rookie

Vanilla_Gorilla's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: How trade happy do you get & when?

In every franchise I usually make a lot of trades before the first season begins to get my roster and farm where I want it: dump off some bad deals, send some veterans to contenders, flip older prospects for younger ones, dump farm cloggers, etc...

From there on, it’s pretty much just trading off guys at the deadline in realistic deals or salary dumps in the offseason to sign cheaper replacements.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2019, 01:13 PM   #26
Rookie

Hayman19's Arena

OVR: 1

I will maybe swing a few minor league deals to shore up depth and then usually around the all star break I start with a few. Day or 2 before the deadline is when I do most of my trading.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:29 PM   #27
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

It depends on where my team is at. If I'm in rebuild mode like I am right now in my Tigers franchise then I'll make some trades sometime between the all star break and the trade deadline. In this case I usually look to ship out veterans with decent trade value that I don't see in my teams future plans for prospects. Even though it's never a guaranteed thing with prospects the more lotto tickets you have the better chance a few of them will work out.

If I'm in contention getting closer to the deadline I'm less likely to make a trade. I'll usually browse trade blocks or rosters of teams out of contention to look for veterans in areas my team is lacking either because of injury or lack of depth.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2019, 11:37 AM   #28
Rookie

Vanilla_Gorilla's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shosum13
It depends on where my team is at. If I'm in rebuild mode like I am right now in my Tigers franchise then I'll make some trades sometime between the all star break and the trade deadline. In this case I usually look to ship out veterans with decent trade value that I don't see in my teams future plans for prospects. Even though it's never a guaranteed thing with prospects the more lotto tickets you have the better chance a few of them will work out.

If I'm in contention getting closer to the deadline I'm less likely to make a trade. I'll usually browse trade blocks or rosters of teams out of contention to look for veterans in areas my team is lacking either because of injury or lack of depth.

Im doing a Tigers one myself and I’m sending Zimmerman and Miggy off at the deadline, maybe Harrison as well.

What’s a realistic landing spot for Miggy? I heard the Astros were in the mix
Old 07-05-2019, 12:32 AM   #29
Rookie

For me it depends on how realistic you want to keep it, like for me I can make trades whenever but I have to use the Trade finder and whatever it comes up with is who I got to give up to get that player. Also you can use Trade block and only get players from there
Old 07-05-2019, 02:29 PM   #30
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Gorilla
Im doing a Tigers one myself and I’m sending Zimmerman and Miggy off at the deadline, maybe Harrison as well.

What’s a realistic landing spot for Miggy? I heard the Astros were in the mix
To be honest in my opinion there is no realistic landing spot for Miggy. In today's MLB no team is going to want to take of that contract. Zimmerman you might be able to move in the last year of his deal. The problem is with discussing realistic landing spots is that your franchise may be playing out a little differently than the actual MLB so different teams may be in contention. What I did was take a picture on my phone of the standings in each division and the wildcard race. That way I had a quick reference when using trade finder or browsing rosters to see which teams are actually contending.

In my Franchises to try and keep a trade realistic if I'm trying to trade a veteran for prospects I make sure that A) the team I'm sending them to is actually in contention and B) that the veteran(s) I'm sending are actually positions of need for that team.

I just finished the first season in my Tigers Franchise I ended up trading Shane Greene and Nick Castellanos for prospects. I'm not in front of my PS4 right now so off hand I don't remember for who. I then also tried to trade Matthew Boyd but wasn't able to draw in any offers that I thought were worth it due to his age and how many years of cheap team control I still have on his contract. I moved Miggy from 1st base to full time DH to hopefully extend his playing career. I was thinking about moving Nick Castellanos to 1st base but then ended up drafting a STUD power hitting 1st baseman in round 1. For me that meant that Castellanos was no longer in my long term plans at 1st base and his defensive liabilities in the outfield I decided to get something for him.

In the 1st offseason I didn't make any crazy signings, just a couple of lower end veterans to plug holes on my MLB roster until my young guys are ready to go. The only one I'm bringing up full time to start season 2 is Casey Mize, but am hoping Kyle Funkhouser will be ready for some spot starts to start getting him MLB exposure. Hoping by the 2021 season to finally have a lot of the young core up, then I may actually spend a little in free agency to add a high price Veteran or two. Sorry for the long post just enjoy discussing team building when it comes to sports games.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:35 PM   #31
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bm7414206
For me it depends on how realistic you want to keep it, like for me I can make trades whenever but I have to use the Trade finder and whatever it comes up with is who I got to give up to get that player. Also you can use Trade block and only get players from there
I do the same, I use trade finder and browse trade blocks to come up with most of my trades. The only exception I make is if I'm in full rebuild mode and trading away a star player but don't get offered at least a top 3-5 prospect from a teams system. Then I may try and see what kind of offers a team will accept for a top prospect. It's a rare case when that scenario because I usually get offered at least one big prospect if I'm shipping off a big star.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2019, 05:34 PM   #32
MVP

Jeffrey Smith's Arena

Taking a picture of the standings is brilliant. Can’t believe I’ve never thought of this before.

I’ve always backed in and out of the standings trying to keep my trades realistic. So annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
NBA: TORONTO RAPTORS

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »