Home

Most Intriguing Franchise in Show 20?

This is a discussion on Most Intriguing Franchise in Show 20? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-13-2020, 09:58 AM   #33
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Most Intriguing Franchise in Show 20?

Quote:
Originally Posted by green94
Once Luis Robert plays on Opening Day and Ridin releases his rosters shortly after SCEA adds him, it’s going to be a fun season with the White Sox. Can’t wait!
I'm in year 3 of my franchise. ChW is one of my teams. We just made the world series. Robert is my starting CF, Vaughn is my starting 1B and Madrigal is my starting 2B. All are in the 80s. Vaughns been possessed this postseason.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:14 AM   #34
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

I'm not a big fan of teams that have obvious paths. Baltimore is obviously rebuilding, Houston is obviously contending, Toronto is a team that just needs to build around the talent already in-place. I like teams where you look at the roster and go, "Where is this team headed?".

With that said, I feel like the Rangers could be a very intriguing team.

1. Name a 'sure bet' on that roster; someone you think there is a +90% chance that he is an impact contributor this season.

2. Now, name players that COULD be really good for them.

See where I am going with this?

I'm not sure there is a single player on their current roster that I'd call a sure thing. And while that is true of a lot of rosters (Mia, KC, Bal, Det, Sea etc), I'm not sure that there is another roster in THAT group that has as many potential impact contributors as the Rangers (guys like Kluber, Lynn, Minor, LeClerc, Gallo, Santana, Odor, Calhoun, etc.).

I can very easily see a world where they make the playoffs and I can very easily see a world where they battle Seattle to stay out of the cellar in the AL West. The beautiful thing here, from a franchise perspective, is that the direction of your franchise could very well be determined by how you perform in Year 1. If the team bombs, you might just start looking to unload guys. If the team performs well, you could accrue some critical development gains for key players that enables for them to become legitimate core players to build around. One or two GM moves at strategic times could make or break your chances to build further upon that.

I'm definitely carrying-over my Reds franchise, but if I start a new one this year, this is very likely going to be the team I pick.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:57 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
I'm not a big fan of teams that have obvious paths. Baltimore is obviously rebuilding, Houston is obviously contending, Toronto is a team that just needs to build around the talent already in-place. I like teams where you look at the roster and go, "Where is this team headed?".

1. Name a 'sure bet' on that roster; someone you think there is a +90% chance that he is an impact contributor this season.

I'm not sure there is a single player on their current roster that I'd call a sure thing. And while that is true of a lot of rosters (Mia, KC, Bal, Det, Sea etc), I'm not sure that there is another roster in THAT group that has as many potential impact contributors as the Rangers (guys like Kluber, Lynn, Minor, LeClerc, Gallo, Santana, Odor, Calhoun, etc.).

I can very easily see a world where they make the playoffs and I can very easily see a world where they battle Seattle to stay out of the cellar in the AL West. The beautiful thing here, from a franchise perspective, is that the direction of your franchise could very well be determined by how you perform in Year 1. If the team bombs, you might just start looking to unload guys. If the team performs well, you could accrue some critical development gains for key players that enables for them to become legitimate core players to build around. One or two GM moves at strategic times could make or break your chances to build further upon that.

I'm definitely carrying-over my Reds franchise, but if I start a new one this year, this is very likely going to be the team I pick.

I agree with you on Texas. They are an intriguing team for me to use. New ballpark, new uniforms and I’m definitely going to use them in 2020

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2020, 01:04 AM   #36
MVP

Jeffrey Smith's Arena

I’ll probably be rolling with the home town Blue Jays but I agree that the White Sox and Rangers might be more intriguing. NL choice could go to Diamondbacks maybe.

NBA: TORONTO RAPTORS
Old 01-16-2020, 01:10 PM   #37
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977

I get the “either way” aspect. But, I’m a fan of rebuilding and putting my own stamp on the franchise. I don’t like to make crazy trades like I see in YouTube videos where the first year they have an All Star lineup and rotation. I break it down completely like the Cubs and Astros did. This usually means getting a high draft pick in this game. I’m going to be using the Tigers, Orioles, Giants, or someone else.

Old 01-16-2020, 01:45 PM   #38
MVP

Jeffrey Smith's Arena

I almost always do rebuilds but every year when some veteran retires I realize I’ve never used that player in The Show. This year it’s C.C. Sabathia. All these years playing and I’ve never played with him.
I think this year I’m going to use an established team so I can play with some veterans before they’re gone.

NBA: TORONTO RAPTORS
Old 01-20-2020, 12:30 PM   #39
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Smith
I almost always do rebuilds but every year when some veteran retires I realize I’ve never used that player in The Show. This year it’s C.C. Sabathia. All these years playing and I’ve never played with him.
I think this year I’m going to use an established team so I can play with some veterans before they’re gone.

Any particular player you're looking to play with? I've always wanted to use either Trout or Harper, but don't have a ton of interest in playing with the Angels or Phillies (Previously the Nats), but there's no realistic way to acquire either player.

I think this year I'll go after Lindor (regardless of which team I end up using *MAYBE THE JAYS?!?!?!*) Seems like he'd be a really fun guy to play with, and given the Indians current standing re: spending money, he seems like a realistic star to try to acquire (Even though Antonetti said he's not on the block).
Old 01-20-2020, 06:12 PM   #40
MVP

itsmb8's Arena

OVR: 5

For me its definitely the Brewers, ChiSox, or Jays.

For Milwaukee, its Yelich, Hiura, and a bunch of question marks. Do you get them to 3 straight playoff appearances, or do the wheels fall off? Can you get Yelich another MVP? Does Hiura have his breakout season? Plus, the new uniforms are absolute perfection.

For the White Sox, a bunch of upgrades and the young guns are ready to shine.

For the Jays, an infield of Vlad, Bo, and Biggio, plus an underrated ballpark and the best looking uniforms in baseball with a sweet new alternate.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »