Home

Anyone else taking a LOT more walks vs the CPU?

This is a discussion on Anyone else taking a LOT more walks vs the CPU? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-03-2020, 03:19 PM   #1
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4

I've been playing The Show since 2010, and have logged who knows how many thousands of games played. I focus strongly on working the count and driving up the pitch count of the CPU pitchers. However, before this year, I rarely was ever to take many walks. If I got two a game, that was a big win. Sometimes, I'd go a week without taking one, because once the CPU pitchers got to three balls, then everything else was in the strike zone.

That has changed in a MAJOR way this year for me. With about 40 games played, I'm averaging four to five walks per game, and just had one where I took TEN (while only getting five hits). The biggest change is that the CPU pitchers will now seemingly throw balls outside the strike zone at about the same frequency regardless of the count.

Is anyone else noticing this? I play at Veteran Plus difficulty, with sliders set slightly in my favor, as I have for years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2020, 05:48 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Anyone else taking a LOT more walks vs the CPU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlucky 13
I've been playing The Show since 2010, and have logged who knows how many thousands of games played. I focus strongly on working the count and driving up the pitch count of the CPU pitchers. However, before this year, I rarely was ever to take many walks. If I got two a game, that was a big win. Sometimes, I'd go a week without taking one, because once the CPU pitchers got to three balls, then everything else was in the strike zone.

That has changed in a MAJOR way this year for me. With about 40 games played, I'm averaging four to five walks per game, and just had one where I took TEN (while only getting five hits). The biggest change is that the CPU pitchers will now seemingly throw balls outside the strike zone at about the same frequency regardless of the count.

Is anyone else noticing this? I play at Veteran Plus difficulty, with sliders set slightly in my favor, as I have for years.
Big Time!

I lead the league in walks, on base percentage while also leading the league in strikeouts. Go figure.

Nonetheless, I am having a ton of fun with this year's game Already a quarter of the way through a full season.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:22 PM   #3
Rookie

Ace2734's Arena

OVR: 0

Raise the difficulty and/or tinker with sliders. This years game won’t play exactly like the past. I definitely am not taking too many walks on HOF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2020, 06:48 PM   #4
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2734
Raise the difficulty and/or tinker with sliders. This years game won’t play exactly like the past. I definitely am not taking too many walks on HOF.

Oh, I'm not complaining! I want to take walks, badly. Being dead last with a bullet in walks year after year was something that I considered a big flaw in the game. Now, I rank 11th, and that's really great! With my sliders set the way that they are, I'm getting reasonable results. While I'm at or near the top of the league in a lot of categories, its not by a mile and it doesn't look silly. And that's what I want.

I simply can't play on difficulty settings above veteran plus. The CPU just destroys me once the difficulty moves up to All Star. I give up 4+ runs every inning, and rarely get a hit. I'm just not skilled/quick enough to make it work. And I'm 42, so my eyes and reflexes are getting worse, not better, LOL.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:01 PM   #5
Rookie

Ace2734's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlucky 13
Oh, I'm not complaining! I want to take walks, badly. Being dead last with a bullet in walks year after year was something that I considered a big flaw in the game. Now, I rank 11th, and that's really great! With my sliders set the way that they are, I'm getting reasonable results. While I'm at or near the top of the league in a lot of categories, its not by a mile and it doesn't look silly. And that's what I want.

I simply can't play on difficulty settings above veteran plus. The CPU just destroys me once the difficulty moves up to All Star. I give up 4+ runs every inning, and rarely get a hit. I'm just not skilled/quick enough to make it work. And I'm 42, so my eyes and reflexes are getting worse, not better, LOL.

I gotcha. Sorry I’m so used to people complaining on here and playing on like rookie......

Priority one is have fun and you’re doing that. Keep up the good eye!

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2020, 07:06 PM   #6
Pro

jrnlgrn's Arena

I'm still dead last but am averaging around 2 a game. Previous years I'd be lucky to get over 100 by seasons end. So far I have even had 3 games were I was able to draw 4. I've never been the most patient at the plate though but figured either something changed in the game or I'm just getting more patient. Walks are the one stat I just ignore in my quest for realism.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:07 PM   #7
MVP

Jeffrey Smith's Arena

I’m walking and striking out at a much higher rate than previous years as well. Playing at HOF level. Usually I would be last in walks and first in strikeouts as I rarely struck out.

I’m not going to complain though. Outside of a few too many HRs I’m having very satisfying results.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
NBA: TORONTO RAPTORS
Old 04-03-2020, 07:47 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Smith
I’m walking and striking out at a much higher rate than previous years as well. Playing at HOF level. Usually I would be last in walks and first in strikeouts as I rarely struck out.

I’m not going to complain though. Outside of a few too many HRs I’m having very satisfying results.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
That’s been my experience but I’m only 2 games into my Phillies franchise and I have been playing against the Marlins.

2013 and 2015 OS NFL Pick'em Champ...somehow I won 2 in 3 years.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »