Home

Fedor v. Rogers: Nov. 7 on CBS!

This is a discussion on Fedor v. Rogers: Nov. 7 on CBS! within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2009, 05:05 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: Fedor v. Rogers: Nov. 7 on CBS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYST2000
Either way this will be Fedor's biggest challenge...
No. Rogers is certainly behind Big Nog, Crocop, and Mark Coleman, and is somewhere in the next tier with Kevin Randleman, Mark Hunt, and Andrei Arlovski.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:07 PM   #10
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxboy99
My friend was saying that Sheild is fighting Jason Miller also.
Yep, for the title Cung Le just vacated.

Glad to see Shields fighting. I think he's got two more fights on his Strikeforce contract, which means the sooner he fights, the sooner a GSP/Shields fight can happen. It could happen as soon as next June at the rumored card in Vancouver if everything falls into place.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:41 PM   #11
MVP

hogfan's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet Bandit
Yep, for the title Cung Le just vacated.

Glad to see Shields fighting. I think he's got two more fights on his Strikeforce contract, which means the sooner he fights, the sooner a GSP/Shields fight can happen. It could happen as soon as next June at the rumored card in Vancouver if everything falls into place.
No disrespect meant if Shields is your man, but what does he offer that could test GSP?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2009, 05:53 PM   #12
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfan
No disrespect meant if Shields is your man, but what does he offer that could test GSP?
I don't think that's the right way to look at it. There's no one out there that's really got the skills to test GSP, considering he's shown remarkably few weaknesses throughout his entire career. I mean, he messed up in the first Hughes fight, but he's gained two jiu-jitsu belt levels since then, and BJ Penn never even sniffed a submission. And he let Penn hit him too much in the first round of their first fight, but I'm not sure GSP's really been touched since then.

But the guy still needs fights, and Shields is the best WW out there that GSP hasn't demolished yet, and I'd like to see that fight before a potential move to MW.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:15 PM   #13
MVP

hogfan's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
I don't think that's the right way to look at it. There's no one out there that's really got the skills to test GSP, considering he's shown remarkably few weaknesses throughout his entire career. I mean, he messed up in the first Hughes fight, but he's gained two jiu-jitsu belt levels since then, and BJ Penn never even sniffed a submission. And he let Penn hit him too much in the first round of their first fight, but I'm not sure GSP's really been touched since then.

But the guy still needs fights, and Shields is the best WW out there that GSP hasn't demolished yet, and I'd like to see that fight before a potential move to MW.
Fair enough. I would like to see Fitch get another shot, though. I think he poses more of a threat than Shields to GSP, as well as just being a much better fighter, IMO.

But you're right, Joe Silva may be more inclined to match GSP up with someone he hasn't faced, yet, rather than go with the biggest challenge.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:30 PM   #14
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfan
Fair enough. I would like to see Fitch get another shot, though. I think he poses more of a threat than Shields to GSP, as well as just being a much better fighter, IMO.

But you're right, Joe Silva may be more inclined to match GSP up with someone he hasn't faced, yet, rather than go with the biggest challenge.
I think Fitch is the better fighter, but I think Shields is relatively more dangerous to GSP. The only known way to beat GSP is to either catch him with a quick submission or hit him in the head with something hard. Fitch doesn't have the submissions necessary, and he doesn't really have KO power (only 4 TKOs in 19 wins). Fitch wins fights by out-wrestling guys, and he just had no chance of doing that against GSP.

Shields, on the other hand, at least has dangerous submissions. Granted, he'd probably get battered on the feet before he got anywhere near a submission, but he at least has a theoretical way to beat GSP.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:52 PM   #15
MVP

boxboy99's Arena

OVR: 23

Ya so disappointing on the Cung Le thing. Good debate on Shields/Fitch. I would have to take Shields, Fitch is solid because he is a very good wrestler with a tough chin. The problem is that GSP is a great wrestler. I wouldn't see Shields winning the fight but he is one of the best fights out there for GSP and, as mentioned, has the sub skills to make it interesting. I think if matched head to head Shields beats Fitch in a very tough fight.
2017: 93-69 - Swept by Red Sox in World Series
2018: 100-62 - Swept by Dodgers in NLCS
2019: 14-11
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2009, 10:52 PM   #16

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
No. Rogers is certainly behind Big Nog, Crocop, and Mark Coleman, and is somewhere in the next tier with Kevin Randleman, Mark Hunt, and Andrei Arlovski.
Agree completely, there is no way Rogers is somehow Fedors biggest competition hes faced to date.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »