Home

EA Sports MMA One and Done?

This is a discussion on EA Sports MMA One and Done? within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-25-2010, 04:36 PM   #33
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63
Re: EA Sports MMA One and Done?

The two blogs on EA MMA on the front page are STUPID. Makes zero sense the one about "lack of knowing the fighters". I hate that argument. It is no different than creating a fighting game such as blaze blue, SFIV, Tekken, etc. Because the characters real or fake don't make a lick of difference.

The short comings of EA MMA was lack of advertising. The commercial spots were few and far between and the commercials I did see were not that great. One I hardly even knew it was for a game. Showing 30 secs of real fighters then a quick 5 sec blur of the game is not going to cut it.

So I don't agree with the licensing was the issue. Sure more main stream fans will know only the main UFC fighters. But there are still plenty of MMA fans & just flat out game fans that would enjoy the game. But the issue is not everyone even knows the game is out.

If it was not for sites like OS how would many of us know about it. It sure would not be from advertising, because that was hardly utilized.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:41 PM   #34
GO PACK GO

PlatooN's Arena

OVR: 17

phobia, i agree about the lack of advertisements but i think the UFC brand has a share in it. People that arnt even really MMA would be interested because they are familiar with UFC. EA MMA only really had a shot of attracting the more hardcore fans.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:42 PM   #35
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
The two blogs on EA MMA on the front page are STUPID. Makes zero sense the one about "lack of knowing the fighters". I hate that argument. It is no different than creating a fighting game such as blaze blue, SFIV, Tekken, etc. Because the characters real or fake don't make a lick of difference.

The short comings of EA MMA was lack of advertising. The commercial spots were few and far between and the commercials I did see were not that great. One I hardly even knew it was for a game. Showing 30 secs of real fighters then a quick 5 sec blur of the game is not going to cut it.

So I don't agree with the licensing was the issue. Sure more main stream fans will know only the main UFC fighters. But there are still plenty of MMA fans & just flat out game fans that would enjoy the game. But the issue is not everyone even knows the game is out.

If it was not for sites like OS how would many of us know about it. It sure would not be from advertising, because that was hardly utilized.
Totally disagree. This isnt a fighting game....its a sports game. Sports games sell because of the licenses and players. Thats why Backbreaker sold very few copies and any NFL license game sells well. Same thing here.

I talked to a ton of casual MMA fans this wknd because of the Lesnar fight and very few of them knew who Fedor was. The only reason they know Couture is because he is a UFC fighter. Thats a problem when those are the two biggest fighters in the game.

Also EA advertised plenty. I saw an ad for this game during yesterday's NFL game, during the UFC prelims, UFC 120 and all this week on Spike. There was plenty of advertising.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2010, 05:00 PM   #36
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia

I have to disagree. This game has gotten a major push from EA, the commercials have been numerous. Any show or event that had anything to do with MMA EA had ad spots for. They also have some creative marketing going on the most popular MMA site on the net, Sherdog. They've done youtube promos, a lot of promo through StrikeForce, and they've received proper coverage from every major gaming website.

Knowing the fighters or athletes in a sports game is important. One of the reasons APF never caught on was due to the generic feel.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:07 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Totally disagree. This isnt a fighting game....its a sports game. Sports games sell because of the licenses and players. Thats why Backbreaker sold very few copies and any NFL license game sells well. Same thing here.

I talked to a ton of casual MMA fans this wknd because of the Lesnar fight and very few of them knew who Fedor was. The only reason they know Couture is because he is a UFC fighter. Thats a problem when those are the two biggest fighters in the game.

Also EA advertised plenty. I saw an ad for this game during yesterday's NFL game, during the UFC prelims, UFC 120 and all this week on Spike. There was plenty of advertising.
I saw a few commercials but they were few and far between. Plus the commercials were not great in my opinion. None of them made me say "Ohh damn that looks badass".

Lastly, I disagree about the "sports" game angle. Reason being is people always talk about "casual" gamers and the "hardcore" gamers. Madden sells plenty of copies BECAUSE of the casual crowd. While most the "hardcore" crowd complain about the gameplay.

So the lack of purchasing from the game can't be because it is a "sport" game. Hell most casual fans would not even consider EA MMA a sport, they would consider it a "fighting game". Most of the ones who have it right now even still try to play it as a fighting game and not a sport.

So while we the MMA fans know it is a sport. The average Joe, like my dad for instance look at this as a "fighting game". My dad loves Fight Night series and when I told him about this he was like "Isn't that the karate fighting game". So your standard 12 to 14 year old who sees a commercial for UFC, Strikeforce, Pride, etc know nothing different between the different organizations. All they know is that it is a "fighting game" like the real fighting.

A casual fan I would not even see them naming many UFC fighters. Hell you could make a argument that most people only know the very very well known ones such as Chuck Liddell, Brock Lesnar, Anderson Silva, and Frank Mir. But you name Dan Hardy, Sonnen, Brandon Vera, etc to a casual gamer and they will know them no better than Jake Shields.

Now don't get me wrong, UFC carries more weight for sure. But enough to warrant the big lack of sales. I just don't see that being the case. I think it is more to a marketing issue. My lady does marketing for 14 locations of her job and hell they do more marketing than what I have seen out of EA MMA.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:10 PM   #38
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers 24/7
I have to disagree. This game has gotten a major push from EA, the commercials have been numerous. Any show or event that had anything to do with MMA EA had ad spots for. They also have some creative marketing going on the most popular MMA site on the net, Sherdog. They've done youtube promos, a lot of promo through StrikeForce, and they've received proper coverage from every major gaming website.

Knowing the fighters or athletes in a sports game is important. One of the reasons APF never caught on was due to the generic feel.
Yet again you see you are talking about marketing to a select group. Of course many of those members could of went bought the game and the numbers would still be considered low.

I am talking national marketing. So it to be this "huge" marketing endeavor I just have not seen it. I have seen a few commercials, none of which were that great to me. But nothing has came off as something that would draw in kids around the country. A killer trailer on TV would change this I believe. We all know what it is like when we see a great movie trailer or game trailer. "We just have to have this". Nothing from EA MMA marketing has made this impression on me.

This was the main one I saw and I find it SUCKS. Nothing about this trailer makes me say "I WANT THIS" and I love this game. Look at how damn short the actual gameplay is. When I first saw this I thought it was a commercial for MMA not a game.

Last edited by Phobia; 10-25-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:12 PM   #39
Pro

OVR: 0

Let's not write this title off just yet

http://mmapayout.com/2010/10/ea-spor...t-perspective/

Quote:
On the sales side of the launch, Loretta Hunt of the LA Times was able to reach EA Sports marketing manager Randy Chase and was notified that EA MMA was doing comparable numbers to THQ’s UFC Undisputed 2010.
And while Chase said EA doesn’t release its sales figures, he did confirm that the game’s distribution numbers are on par with the UFC title. Chase said the company has already started to work on an updated installment, and the game leader plans to alternate release years with its “Fight Night” boxing game.

Quote:
In the end, the lack of the UFC brand will indeed hurt the sale numbers of the game, not to mention the heavy competition the EA Sports MMA title received from video game titles releasing that same week such as Fallout: New Vegas, DJ Hero 2, Time Crisis: Razing Storm, and Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 to name a few.

^ Good point there have been a lot of big titles released very recently and more on the way. Maybe a better release date next time around?

Old 10-25-2010, 05:18 PM   #40
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers 24/7
Let's not write this title off just yet

http://mmapayout.com/2010/10/ea-spor...t-perspective/

^ Good point there have been a lot of big titles released very recently and more on the way. Maybe a better release date next time around?

[/indent]
You know New Vegas hurt its numbers

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »