Home

Jones v. Rampage - UFC 135- SEPT 24- DENVER

This is a discussion on Jones v. Rampage - UFC 135- SEPT 24- DENVER within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-07-2011, 10:32 PM   #33
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Jones v. Rampage - Free on Spike TV in September?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCitySportsGuy
Considering the event is tentatively booked at the New Orleans convention center, which only holds a couple thousand, I would say the chances are less than %1.

The only time you will see a major title fight with big names on free TV will be on the UFC Network debut.
Its booked at the NO Arena which seats 19,000. Also, Rampage v. Henderson was on Spike. It wasnt that long ago.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:46 PM   #34
NYG_Meth

VanCitySportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Its booked at the NO Arena which seats 19,000. Also, Rampage v. Henderson was on Spike. It wasnt that long ago.
Are you sure it's booked at the NO Arena?

I can't find anything on UFC.com and MMA Junkie says it's tentatively slotted for the convention center.
http://mmajunkie.com/news/23885/ufc-...on-sept-17.mma

Either way I don't see them showing Jones/Rampage on Spike TV Fight Night card.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:06 AM   #35
Hall Of Fame

Sandman42's Arena

OVR: 40

Jordan Breen talked about the commercial on his radio show and he said he doesn't think that it means Jones is going to fight at the New Orleans card. He just has a deal signed with Bud Light and since Bud Light is sponsoring that event they all appear in that commercial. Plus that card in New Orleans is a supposed to be a Fight Night card.

Spike's deal with the UFC is up after the next season of TUF also, so its extremely unlikely that the UFC will give them a title fight if they might not re-do a deal with Zuffa.

Most of the sites are lining it up for UFC 135 in September also.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #36
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman42
Jordan Breen talked about the commercial on his radio show and he said he doesn't think that it means Jones is going to fight at the New Orleans card. He just has a deal signed with Bud Light and since Bud Light is sponsoring that event they all appear in that commercial. Plus that card in New Orleans is a supposed to be a Fight Night card.

Spike's deal with the UFC is up after the next season of TUF also, so its extremely unlikely that the UFC will give them a title fight if they might not re-do a deal with Zuffa.

Most of the sites are lining it up for UFC 135 in September also.
I actually think its more likely that they would give Spike a title fight. The next TV deal wont be signed before October. Its a win/win for the UFC. Jones/Rampage will do monster ratings. This is an opportunity for the UFC to show Spike and other networks what the UFC's stars can generate on cable. Think NBC wouldnt be impressed if the UFC pulled 3 or 4 mil on a cable network? Think Spike wouldnt up their offer if it pulled those numbers?

Jon Anik just referenced NO for this fight in his chat but I think its speculation.

@Van City - I saw the Arena referenced somewhere but I cant find it. Having it at the Convention Center makes no sense though. The UFC only does small venues for FN's in Vegas. Look at the next two Versus cards. One is in Pittsburgh's arena and the other is in Milwaukee's. I find it hard to believe that the UFC would put this card in a 4k seat arena...with or without Rampage and Jones. Also the Arena is available that night.

Last edited by aholbert32; 06-08-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:41 PM   #37
NYG_Meth

VanCitySportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
@Van City - I saw the Arena referenced somewhere but I cant find it. Having it at the Convention Center makes no sense though. The UFC only does small venues for FN's in Vegas. Look at the next two Versus cards. One is in Pittsburgh's arena and the other is in Milwaukee's. I find it hard to believe that the UFC would put this card in a 4k seat arena...with or without Rampage and Jones. Also the Arena is available that night.
If the UFC was going to go big, I think they're better off putting it on a Versus card. I believe Spike TV currently has a bigger distribution than Versus but Versus is more of a mainstream channel for sports fans. If they can pull big numbers on Versus, this would increase their chances of getting on Network TV (NBC).
Old 06-08-2011, 03:58 PM   #38
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCitySportsGuy
If the UFC was going to go big, I think they're better off putting it on a Versus card. I believe Spike TV currently has a bigger distribution than Versus but Versus is more of a mainstream channel for sports fans. If they can pull big numbers on Versus, this would increase their chances of getting on Network TV (NBC).
Spike has a bigger distribution and has been connected to the UFC for almost 7 yrs. People associate Spike with the UFC. Also, the UFC is still negotiating with Spike. Pulling a big number on Versus doesnt do much to encourage a good deal from Spike and would probably piss Spike off because they gave a UFC championship fight to Versus instead of them
Old 06-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #39
Rookie

Wobberknockle's Arena

OVR: 2

Percentage of this coming to fruition? Zero.

The UFC has vastly outgrown anything that Spike TV can do for them and putting one of their biggest money-makers (Jackson) in a title fight on free TV will do absolutely nothing for them. It just makes zero sense from all perspectives.

The word I am hearing right now is that Spike TV and UFC are at odds over several issues and negotiations on a new deal have seriously died down to the point that one is unlikely to be reached.

I think it is time the UFC moves on from Spike TV and targets a larger network, which Zuffa is presently trying to do.

Would it be cool to get a Jones/Jackson title fight for free? Absolutely. Will it happen? Negative.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:59 AM   #40
Rookie

Wobberknockle's Arena

OVR: 2

http://mmajunkie.com/news/23927/ufc-...le-station.mma

To add to what I said yesterday, Zuffa is reportedly trying to acquire a controlling stake in the television network G4, furthering my statements about the end of the UFC/Spike TV marriage.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »