Home

UFC 162 - Silva v. Weidman - July 6

This is a discussion on UFC 162 - Silva v. Weidman - July 6 within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #33
All Star

redsrule's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: UFC 162 - Silva v. Weidman - July 6

Weidman doesn't have the power double Chael does. He is MUCH more dangerous on top though. His chin has also never really been tested before. I remember him getting briefly stunned against Bongfeldt via head kick before subbing him a while back though.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #34
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsrule
Weidman doesn't have the power double Chael does. He is MUCH more dangerous on top though. His chin has also never really been tested before. I remember him getting briefly stunned against Bongfeldt via head kick before subbing him a while back though.
RR, I'm not saying I think Weidman will win. I just dont see him winning a stand up battle. The big question for me is how good of a wrestler do you have to be to take and keep Anderson Silva down?

If I recall correctly only four fighters have taken Silva down, Sonnen, Marquardt, Lutter and Henderson. I would say Sonnen and Henderson are top level MMA wrestlers. Lutter and Marquardt arent even though both are very good grapplers. I would argue that Weidman is a hybrid. He's not as good as Sonnen when it comes to the double leg or MMA wrestling but I dont know if you have to be a Sonnen level wrestler to take Silva down.

The people Silva has been able to stuff are BJJ guys with no stand up (Maia, Leites) and fighters with no wrestling (Bonner). Okami is the only wrestler that Silva was able to keep from taking him down and I always felt Okami fought that entire fight scared.

I question Weidman's ability to take a punch. The biggest strikers he's faced are Sakara and Munoz. Anyway, I cant wait for this fight.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #35
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Weidman actually has better strikes avoided than Silva, 68% to 62%. Weidman hasn't fought good strikers though, but I think they are similar there with Silva being better.

We haven't seen Weidman fight in 1 year, so who knows what he will look like. The way the guy learns, he may have learned a lot since then. He has been training for this fight for 1 year. I would like to see him finish Silva, so Silva has to leave the division to get big fights. If Silva wins, then the division is done until someone we don't know now steps up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #36
All Star

redsrule's Arena

OVR: 30

I think this is Anderson toughest test since Henderson. If Weidman goes into this fight with the mindset of going straight for takedowns he can win this. Anderson has a very good guard though, whether it be elbows or submissions. He has good cardio, and Weidman still has a lot of question marks too. His chin, how will he handle the ring rust, etc. I'm excited for this fight as well, and the card in general. Sucks Pettis got hurt and KZ/Lamas got called off.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #37
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMBrown
Could have sworn Silva stuffed the next Sonnen takedown attempt after the ref warned him. But anyway.
He did but he also grabbed the shorts again to do it. Ref stayed quiet.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:19 PM   #38
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

OVR: 31

I've come to the conclusion, watching their past few fights, that although Anderson is aging, he really has no excuses not to keep his belt. The best ever, the best MMA fighter to ever live, all his experiences with Sonnen's style, I expect him to win this.

Weidman has all the tools to challenge Spider and I fully expect Weidman to make Spider earn it but he's just really green. He's coming off a long lay off and his wrestling really isn't like Sonnen's. Weidman's striking is coming around but it shouldn't be enough.

I'm still excited for the fight because Weidman knows what it will take to beat Anderson, there aren't any secrets of what he needs to do. So his game plan should more or less be clear.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #39
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

good stats breakdown, I'm hoping Weidman wins, but I don't think I will be able to pick him

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles...-Weidman-53607
Old 07-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #40
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Any time I think Silva may be done, I watch one of his old fights. Dude is just stupid. NO ONE moves like the guy. Even when seemed to be caught, he still makes a way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »