Home

LorenzoDC's MyLeague Multi-Year Talent Balance Sliders

This is a discussion on LorenzoDC's MyLeague Multi-Year Talent Balance Sliders within the NBA 2K Basketball Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2016, 02:49 PM   #1
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3
LorenzoDC's MyLeague Multi-Year Talent Balance Sliders

Hat tip to trekfan and others in this thread for working together to figure out how to fix the talent imbalance problems with default MyLeague Settings.

The problems basically made the league way out of whack with elite shooters and few defenders within a few short years.

To implement the fix, you will have to set up your MyLeague with 30 team control. You can set automation for 29 teams if you want, but your initial setup will require 30 team control.

MyLeague Settings: All Default

Importantly, this set makes no changes to progression, regression, training effects, or injury related settings. This set uses default draft classes with default draft class strength of 50.

Changes to Team Training:

For every team, go to Team Training, go to Fundamentals, and change them to custom using the settings below. Or download the set from here:
  • XB1: "Balanced MyLeague" from gamertag "Joey Ram0ne" (that's me)
  • PSN: MikeLowe47, "Balanced MyLeague" from OS'er Mike Lowe
  • PC: Name: "LorenzoDC's Balance" under Username "BigTicket" (thanks to joosegoose) AND also under Username "The BNESS" with File Name: "MyLeague LorenzoDC" (hat tip to de_jesus)

Additional League Management & Manual Adjustments:
  • Every other year or so, go into your draft class and make an edit. Find one player with at least A- level potential and bump up his potential to A+ level.
  • That's because default draft classes give you the right amount of overall A potential talent and below, but not enough A+ guys. Do it on average half the years, but you don't have to follow a strict one year on, one year off schedule. Draft classes vary. Mix it up a little.
  • It's probably also a good idea to upgrade draft class guys who not only have at least A- potential, but who also have higher OVR ratings, probably 75 or higher. Otherwise they may have too far to catch up to reach their potential as 90+ level difference makers.
DO NOT BUMP DRAFT CLASS STRENGTH! If you do, here's what will happen:
  • For every extra A+ you create, you will create more A and B level guys. Your classes will become too stacked without enough misses.
  • Once those extra A and B level guys start getting second contracts, your CPU managed teams will make logic mistakes and run out of cap.
  • Once that happens, you will see more teams with very poorly balanced rosters through front and back court, player cuts that make no sense, and opening day free agents who should be starters somewhere.
Slider Test Results:

For you data geeks, here are some averaged results I used to develop this set. Looking at these numbers, you can see why I recommend the manual draft class edits to add an A+ every other year or so.

I ran all test simulations comparing October 28, 2016 against simulated leagues as of October 28, 2021. So, these are five year simulations.

Just so you know, I tried a few ways to vary the set with changes to player progression, player regression and in season training effects, all with the goal to get enough 90+ players in the league at once without screwing everything else up. I couldn't find any way to do it. The manual edit is so simple, it seems to me like the best approach.

Spoiler

Conclusion:

Use this slider set with these easy manual draft class edit practices and you should get a nicely balanced, tuned league that resembles the NBA over multiple years. You will see a full variety of player archetypes, realistic shooting attributes and a realistic number of players every year across the talent and potential distribution.

Feedback, comments, potential problems and such are all welcome in the comments. This is an OS community effort, and has been from the beginning.

Last edited by LorenzoDC; 10-01-2016 at 06:49 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2016, 02:56 PM   #2
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

re: LorenzoDC's MyLeague Multi-Year Talent Balance Sliders

Dammit, I didn't proof the title. If a mod would be so kind, please delete that extra "w" after my user name.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:57 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 1

Shocked that the difference is just 1.0 for the 3pt and Mid Range training. Amazing work!
Old 09-30-2016, 03:12 PM   #4
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauer4MVP
Shocked that the difference is just 1.0 for the 3pt and Mid Range training. Amazing work!
Yeah, I started testing at 0, then increments at 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5. . . so it surprised me too.

Even at 3 it's just a teeny bit maybe lower than the current NBA, but not significantly so. I like it better here than with a bump above 3.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:19 PM   #5
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

OVR: 0

Fascinating results. Your sliders aren't far off from me, at least in terms of point-spread.

I had my shot-mid-range and shot-3pt range set to 6.0, but tossed the "Open vs. Contested" slider to 65 for both, favoring contested shooting in the training. I set the Physical and Tactical sliders to emphasizing defense (but not too heavy like my initial try).

Further, I bumped up progression for rookies to 65, while keeping regression to 53, draft class quality at 50, and my initial results were really good. I got similar numbers from year 1 in the file to year 7. I agree that more a+ potential rookies are needed, I saw superstars (90 or better overall rated players) fall off by year 7 (only 9 in the league if I recall, I have it all saved in a CSV).

Great find here. I'll come back in a bit later with my most recent batch of results using my current "good" sliders that I cited above. It's possible my first run was merely a fluke and things get wacky later on, so I definitely will run at least three more tests to confirm my results.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2016, 04:18 PM   #6
Pro

ThatMichiganFan's Arena

You da man LorenzoDC!! Appreciate the hard work, as always!

2K18 Sliders:https://forums.operationsports.com/f...n-sliders.html
Old 09-30-2016, 04:51 PM   #7
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatMichiganFan
You da man LorenzoDC!! Appreciate the hard work, as always!
Kind words from the slider master. . .

Just downloaded your set last night, gonna give them a whirl this weekend.

I used yours all last year with a couple of tweaks for my play style.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:10 PM   #8
Pro

joosegoose's Arena

Re: LorenzoDC's MyLeague Multi-Year Talent Balance Sliders

First of all, hats of to you guys for doing the testing.

I'm surprised that it's such a relatively small departure from the included preset, though I suppose it makes sense since you're no longer catering to player type and making the 'rich richer' when it comes to already good shooters.

What do open vs contested ratings look like after a few years? I notice you didn't make a change from the default there.

Edit: Almost forgot! Uploaded on PC.
Name: LorenzoDC's Balance
Username: BigTicket

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekfan
Fascinating results. Your sliders aren't far off from me, at least in terms of point-spread.

I had my shot-mid-range and shot-3pt range set to 6.0, but tossed the "Open vs. Contested" slider to 65 for both, favoring contested shooting in the training. I set the Physical and Tactical sliders to emphasizing defense (but not too heavy like my initial try).

Further, I bumped up progression for rookies to 65, while keeping regression to 53, draft class quality at 50, and my initial results were really good. I got similar numbers from year 1 in the file to year 7. I agree that more a+ potential rookies are needed, I saw superstars (90 or better overall rated players) fall off by year 7 (only 9 in the league if I recall, I have it all saved in a CSV).

Great find here. I'll come back in a bit later with my most recent batch of results using my current "good" sliders that I cited above. It's possible my first run was merely a fluke and things get wacky later on, so I definitely will run at least three more tests to confirm my results.
I'll be very interested to test both and compare, keep up the good work!

Last edited by joosegoose; 09-30-2016 at 05:14 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders »