Home

Too many CPU points in the paint

This is a discussion on Too many CPU points in the paint within the NBA 2K Basketball Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-04-2017, 08:04 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 6
Too many CPU points in the paint

I just quit my player and am trying my league. Perhaps I am doing something wrong with my play but I have a basketball background and my dad was a high school coach. I am on HOF and have cranked up D awareness and help to max, but the AI seems to score 60PIP every game mostly on give and go backdoor cuts or off ball bsckdoor cuts. This happens whether I am on ball or off ball.

Generally you shouldn't be able to backdoor a defender who isn't in deny defense and I have even backed on and off ball back to moderate pressure without impacting this. Even when help arrived from bigs in gap the layup goes in with contact high and layup at 38. Any suggestions are appreciated since I feel like I'm coaching my daughters 6th grade team on defense!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2017, 07:35 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Too many CPU points in the paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraeon1224
I just quit my player and am trying my league. Perhaps I am doing something wrong with my play but I have a basketball background and my dad was a high school coach. I am on HOF and have cranked up D awareness and help to max, but the AI seems to score 60PIP every game mostly on give and go backdoor cuts or off ball bsckdoor cuts. This happens whether I am on ball or off ball.

Generally you shouldn't be able to backdoor a defender who isn't in deny defense and I have even backed on and off ball back to moderate pressure without impacting this. Even when help arrived from bigs in gap the layup goes in with contact high and layup at 38. Any suggestions are appreciated since I feel like I'm coaching my daughters 6th grade team on defense!
Look into this video, it's from NBA 2K12 but it still applies even to this day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouWQgR7F6ug

Here is an old OS article from NBA 2K13, still applies today.

http://www.operationsports.com/featu...-with-sliders/

You craft sliders on what you do well and what you do poorly. Your interior defense seems to be your weakness, lower the CPU's inside success and raise your block and hands attributes.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:08 PM   #3
Rookie

The game is cheating on hof. It's not because I think about it alone, but also someone who works for take two. The HOF all they seek is the difficulty not the reality. The points in the painting are the same as the steals, they are too many. All we can do is apply the sliders that the companions of this web offer us. Reality is not the same as HOF SIMULATION....
Old 05-11-2017, 05:36 PM   #4
Pro

I had this issue initially as well in offline HOF MyLeague.

A few things you need to do:

1. Defend outside of the restricted area. Once an offensive player gets into the restricted area the shot almost ALWAYS goes down. Do your best to keep guys outside of that. What I've started doing is floating my center into an out of the paint.

So I guard the ball-handler as they bring the ball up, and once their offense starts shifting I control my center or power forward, whomever has the weaker assignment, to ensure that no one breaks towards the basket or gets an easy look. I am willing to give up the mid-range or long two with an AI defender. Then if the shot clock gets to around 7 seconds I switch back the on-ball defender.

2. On shots inside, defend with the shot stick. It's SUPREMELY effective, and doesn't take you out of position like going for the block. If someone is posting you up, at any point in the paint, use the shot stick to contest. It even impacts shots in the restricted area pretty well. You should only try to block shots when your assignment is outside of the restricted area or is driving towards the basket and you're out of position.

I put my pro-stick defense on absolute for this very reason. It mentally makes me feel like I'm able to defend better.

3. Focus on boxing out immediately after a shot goes up. You'll start to find that a lot of the your opponent's interior offense comes from putbacks and offensive rebounds leading to 2nd and 3rd chances. Seriously, whether a shot is a miss or a make, box out. Just hold Left Trigger as soon as you see a shot go up. Most time in my experience you can keep even good rebounders from getting to the ball.

Don't immediately jump for any rebound either. Instead, position your players to block the other teams best rebounder with whomever you can, and just box him the hell out. This will sometimes mean your guard will have to hold off a center depends on how your defense broke down, but it should lead to a large number of defensive rebounds.

Suggestions:

1. Shot contest manual - as Automatic and Intense D will often put you in a bad positoin

2. Turn "Who to Guard" off - it creates too much confusion in my opinion.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:30 PM   #5
Rookie

SevenEleven11's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0Y37
The game is cheating on hof. It's not because I think about it alone, but also someone who works for take two. The HOF all they seek is the difficulty not the reality. The points in the painting are the same as the steals, they are too many. All we can do is apply the sliders that the companions of this web offer us. Reality is not the same as HOF SIMULATION....
Try out Crewe's sliders. I am having the best games with his set.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2017, 03:26 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 3

Its funny, in game points in the paint are "too high", yet in simulation its beyond low. You should be seeing 40-50 ppg in the paint to get the avg NBA teams point in the pain. With simulation game stats you can see as low as 20-30 per team.
Old 03-12-2021, 08:33 PM   #7
Slider Guru

cdcool's Arena

OVR: 2

CPU vs CPU, I believe there are too many points in the paint and it can't be fixed with sliders.
Old 03-12-2021, 10:40 PM   #8
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

OVR: 19

The issue is the lack of shooting fouls. This inflates CPU field goal attempts as well as points in the paint. 2K got shooting fouls right for the user, so why can’t they get it right for the CPU?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders »