Home

Who’s sticking with 2k23 this year?

This is a discussion on Who’s sticking with 2k23 this year? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-01-2023, 03:38 AM   #33
MVP

lakers24's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Who’s sticking with 2k23 this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRJ23
That’s true as well, football is more anonymous by nature and it isn’t nearly as cool to see Joe Montana wearing a helmet as it is seeing a detailed Michael Jordan. But I also think it’ ls due to the drastic changes to the game. A lot of people who like 80’s ball don’t see the todays game as the same game, and vice versa. People claim football “went soft” too but objectively it’s essentially the same game. Basketball is also highly popular due to off court drama and fashion while football is more serious about the game itself. For example, there’s a popular hbo show on 80’s basketball right now. I highly doubt we’ll see one on 80’s football teams or on 2020’s nba for that matter in the future.
Let's be real, everyone says the same things about any form of entertainment. Movies, music, sports, videogames, etc. Nostalgia will do that.

Look, the reality is basketball is the one sport that Eras work because it's the one sport that is star driven and it very much keeps its history alive. Jordan, Shaq, Magic, Kobe, Bird, LeBron, A.I., Vince Carter, KG, Kareem, Dr. J, Rodman, Pippen, etc. are all still very much in the spotlight. Like even people who aren't heavy into the sport know these guys. (Also notice there's no 60s or 70s era, thats because it's not worth it to go that far back).

The NFL is more popular but it's not a star driven sport outside of quarterback for the most part. That inherently makes it a tougher sell. How do you build a mode based on teams where no one will remember like 95% of the players? This doesn't even bring up the logistical problem of trying to recreate 53 man rosters.

The MLB is probably the 2nd best option for an eras mode, but it also has a similar issue to football. Another issue is that the era that would be the most popular due to all the home runs is tainted. Then the only other time that would be worth an era is so long ago it becomes not worth it.

Last edited by lakers24; 09-01-2023 at 03:44 AM.
Old 09-01-2023, 08:59 AM   #34
Rookie

I haven't paid full price for 2k since 2k18, it usually ends up being free or around $35. If it's free then why not but after fixing the same copy and paste roster mistakes for years I'm good on taking a break. Few years off will help me feel a "leap" hopefully.

Like others have said I'm interested to see what happens with fast breaks because 23 had it perfect at release then it vanished for me. Also the crowd has been dead silent for years. I can't hit another dagger just for 5 ppl to clap. See yall for 2k30 lmao

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2023, 11:08 AM   #35
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowie
Good stuff...are your sliders posted anywhere, or are you rolling straight default?

Dowie
I am rolling near superstar default. Made some tweaks here or there but it works for me. They are not posted anywhere. Not really enough changes to make it worth posting.

Currently Playing:

No Man's Sky (PS5)
Pokemon Violet (Switch)
Stardew Valley (PC)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2023, 03:10 PM   #36
Pro

Nomah5's Arena

OVR: 7

EVERY year i tell myself to wait until Black Friday as you can always find it for $25-$30 and EVERY year i can’t wait and buy it early.
Old 09-01-2023, 06:57 PM   #37
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers24
Let's be real, everyone says the same things about any form of entertainment. Movies, music, sports, videogames, etc. Nostalgia will do that.

Look, the reality is basketball is the one sport that Eras work because it's the one sport that is star driven and it very much keeps its history alive. Jordan, Shaq, Magic, Kobe, Bird, LeBron, A.I., Vince Carter, KG, Kareem, Dr. J, Rodman, Pippen, etc. are all still very much in the spotlight. Like even people who aren't heavy into the sport know these guys. (Also notice there's no 60s or 70s era, thats because it's not worth it to go that far back).

The NFL is more popular but it's not a star driven sport outside of quarterback for the most part. That inherently makes it a tougher sell. How do you build a mode based on teams where no one will remember like 95% of the players? This doesn't even bring up the logistical problem of trying to recreate 53 man rosters.

The MLB is probably the 2nd best option for an eras mode, but it also has a similar issue to football. Another issue is that the era that would be the most popular due to all the home runs is tainted. Then the only other time that would be worth an era is so long ago it becomes not worth it.
Star driven is true but I’d say the nba in particular is so intensely debated when it comes to eras (just turn on any talking head and they talk more about “Jordan vs LeBron” or “Magic vs Steph” than they do modern day matchups. This wasn’t happening in the 90’s, it wasn’t “Jordan vs Wilt” it was always “Jordan vs current rival”) that it has to do with how drastic the game has changed.

If you put someone from the 80’s in a Time Machine into today, they’d definitely notice the game is entirely different. 50 threes per team a game, less post play, 5 out, such blatant flopping they need to make yearly rules to try and mitigate it, etc.

Nostalgia is one thing, but the nba is so passionately intense about comparing eras that it literally scores the most social media activity, even more than current game debates. Which is why outlets like espn won’t shut up about it. Maybe it’s cause the media ran with such a cash cow “Jordan vs LeBron” narrative that started all this and no other sport has that. Also no other sport has near as dominant a popular figure as Jordan to stoke such passionate debates.
Old 09-01-2023, 08:20 PM   #38

m1ke_nyc's Arena

OVR: 7

I’ve been planning to pass on 2K24. But the closer we get to release, the more the add to cart button keeps taunting me.

Last edited by m1ke_nyc; 09-01-2023 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-01-2023, 08:33 PM   #39
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGamer89
Based on what everyone has seen so far with 2k24, is it enough for you to purchase it day 1?

Personally I will be waiting for a price drop or even wait and see if it will become free on PS plus, and sticking with 2k23. I’m an offline guy only, and they really haven’t made much of a change to MyNBA/eras for me to move on from last years game.
You should put a poll up.
Old 09-01-2023, 08:44 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 4

I’m a little torn. The LeBron era bookmark sounds neat, I like that player models will update, the presentation seems like a nice little touch, and the gameplay improvements sounds nice. On the other hand, the game will have probably been on sale for $10-15 off by the time decent rosters and draft classes are out. I think it’s ultimately gonna come down to whether or not getting the version that comes with League Pass feels like a good enough deal.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »