Home

Is the A.I. really that good?

This is a discussion on Is the A.I. really that good? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-02-2014, 09:43 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Is the A.I. really that good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by birthday_massacre
The other problem is when you get up by 10 or more on the CPU the CPU just starts to hit every shot and their FG goes up to 70% while the users FG goes to 35% and we start to miss all our shots even though our shot ratings are in the A's

The thing this game needs the most is good defense.
Indeed. The most crazy things happen (CPU hitting crazy, contested shots, human player missing open shots, passes going out of bounds for no reason etc.) so that in the end the FG % more or less reflects real NBA FG %. This stuff has been in the game for years and years and I hoped that this would finally be reduced in the next gen games.

Another thing that's been bugging me for years: somehow CPU defenders are able to "stick" to you with ease and prevent you from going to the basket even when you are the quicker, more agile player. After all these years I'm still not able to do anything remotely the same on defense, not even with elite defenders like Paul George or LeBron James. Again, I'd love to see CPU elite dribblers perform ankle breakers, but instead the CPU just blows by you or runs through you with ease.

And yet another thing that's been in the game for years: the CPU still has the tendency to blindly go to the basket, no matter how many defenders you have near the basket.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-02-2014, 11:12 AM   #26
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesmaster
Another thing that's been bugging me for years: somehow CPU defenders are able to "stick" to you with ease and prevent you from going to the basket even when you are the quicker, more agile player. After all these years I'm still not able to do anything remotely the same on defense, not even with elite defenders like Paul George or LeBron James. Again, I'd love to see CPU elite dribblers perform ankle breakers, but instead the CPU just blows by you or runs through you with ease.

And yet another thing that's been in the game for years: the CPU still has the tendency to blindly go to the basket, no matter how many defenders you have near the basket.
Yes to all of this. And when they go blindly to the basket they undoubtedly go unencumbered through traffic. It's amazing how inaccessible the middle generally is for the user on offense off the dribble versus the CPU's access off the dribble.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:35 AM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 5

100% agree with OP
whenever computer misses they are in perfect position for the rebound while you're still stuck in the shot contest animation

especially on hof. Computer doesnt make any mistakes and exploits every single little mistake you make even if its for a split second
Old 01-02-2014, 12:27 PM   #28
WTF
MVP

WTF's Arena

OVR: 50

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...g-amazing.html

This is 100% the reason that I'm no longer playing the game. I went back to play 1 additional game a little while back after patch 3, and the first play of the game, Rudy Gay dunked "through" my defender. Half of his body went through mine. When that type of stuff is going on each and every game, you can count me out.

I was hoping this type of stuff would be removed, or worst case scenario lessened to an extent for Next Gen.

The AI is cheap. Hopefully 2k see's what is going on from the videos, posts, etc and can actually implement a better AI. Like a post above mentioned, actually make the AI smarter, not cheaper.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:18 AM   #29
Just started!

OVR: 0

Not happy with it at all
Old 01-06-2014, 02:56 PM   #30
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookid
Yeah, the game tries to cheese me like that sometimes so I just cheese back and dunk and pick pocket so my team gets on fire.

Sprite Posterizers like 3 in a row since it's so easy for a 92 speed/quick PG to get around a defender to raise my team stamina by 15, then we are back on fire. I'm playing HOF sim too.

What I can't stand a when I'm down 10. Makes it borderline impossible to come back on HOF. My team just shuts down it seems like.
I played a game last night, and it was annoying, the computer was making a game back, I had 5 or blocks because the CPU loves to cheese inside crap, so what happens? two of them I blocked go flying out of bounds, the other 3 blocks, went right back to the CPU and they scored.

It seems iike when ever I get a block in this game 90% of the time it goes out of bounds so the cpu gets the ball back or they get the lose ball from the block.

Its even more annoying, when they get 3 or 4 offense rebounds in a row, when I am using Dennis Rodman and he can't get a rebound to save his life when the CPU wants to score.

Then at the end of the game, the CPU is down by 6 they score to make it a 4 point game with 3 secs left. So I go to pass the ball in and what happens? The player he passes it to, botches the ball and it goes off his leg and to the CPU who drains a three to get it down to one.

I call a TO to get it to half court, and luckily was able to run out the clock.

But it was rediclious how the CPU can make up a 6 point lead in 2 seconds but cheesing the user to botch a inbounds pass just so they can hit a three with someone in their face.

Last edited by birthday_massacre; 01-06-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:30 PM   #31
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by birthday_massacre
I played a game last night, and it was annoying, the computer was making a game back, I had 5 or blocks because the CPU loves to cheese inside crap, so what happens? two of them I blocked go flying out of bounds, the other 3 blocks, went right back to the CPU and they scored.

It seems iike when ever I get a block in this game 90% of the time it goes out of bounds so the cpu gets the ball back or they get the lose ball from the block.

Its even more annoying, when they get 3 or 4 offense rebounds in a row, when I am using Dennis Rodman and he can't get a rebound to save his life when the CPU wants to score.

Then at the end of the game, the CPU is down by 6 they score to make it a 4 point game with 3 secs left. So I go to pass the ball in and what happens? The player he passes it to, botches the ball and it goes off his leg and to the CPU who drains a three to get it down to one.

I call a TO to get it to half court, and luckily was able to run out the clock.

But it was rediclious how the CPU can make up a 6 point lead in 2 seconds but cheesing the user to botch a inbounds pass just so they can hit a three with someone in their face.
I think the only way to minimize this stuff is with sliders.

It seems like there are three ways the CPU builds momentum: players getting hot, when the user POE is not optimized for what the CPU is running, and when the underlying game engine does its dynamic changes based on the game score or just based on how long its been since the CPU went on a run.

If you get all those same forces running at once, it will effectively raise CPU performance sliders under the hood by, if I had to guess, 20 or more points, while possibly gimping the same user sliders by the same amount.

If you adjust CPU sliders down in some targeted areas just a bit, and maybe raise user in a few targeted places, I've been able to dull the degree of craziness in this stuff so that the game still feel like I'm competing or can win, even though I can still lose. I'm talking about just a couple of points either way.

But if you leave the sliders on default simulation, the game will get silly overpowered for the CPU sometimes. I play pro custom with variations off pro simulation, but I admit I'm not the best player around, I'm sure. The key is to develop the right slider balance for you.

The game will still do things that just make me laugh, how stupid and improbable they are. But not as bad, and not as often, and not for as long a stretch.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2014, 03:54 PM   #32
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoDC
I think the only way to minimize this stuff is with sliders.

It seems like there are three ways the CPU builds momentum: players getting hot, when the user POE is not optimized for what the CPU is running, and when the underlying game engine does its dynamic changes based on the game score or just based on how long its been since the CPU went on a run.

If you get all those same forces running at once, it will effectively raise CPU performance sliders under the hood by, if I had to guess, 20 or more points, while possibly gimping the same user sliders by the same amount.

If you adjust CPU sliders down in some targeted areas just a bit, and maybe raise user in a few targeted places, I've been able to dull the degree of craziness in this stuff so that the game still feel like I'm competing or can win, even though I can still lose. I'm talking about just a couple of points either way.

But if you leave the sliders on default simulation, the game will get silly overpowered for the CPU sometimes. I play pro custom with variations off pro simulation, but I admit I'm not the best player around, I'm sure. The key is to develop the right slider balance for you.

The game will still do things that just make me laugh, how stupid and improbable they are. But not as bad, and not as often, and not for as long a stretch.
yeah I turned down the CPU 3PT rating because they were hitting 3PT at a 50% clip. I had two games in a row where the CPU was down and hit 3 after 3 while being doubled teamed to come back and win. So I moved the slider from 50 to 35 which seems to have evened it out. Now the CPU never shoots more than 40% which is about right.

I just think its funny I kept my 3PT rating at 50 and usually shoot around 35% tops. I can be wide open and get perfect rating and perfect shot selection with Jordan or Kerr and still miss if its near the end of the game and the CPU is down.

The best thing I ever did was turn down the CPU playing passing lanes. I turned that way down because the CPU would pick off every single pass if I tried pass from the top of the key to anyone that was near the basket even near the 3 pt line.

They still do pick them off somme of the time, but its not 90% of the time like it was when it was set to 50.

Im using the 95-96 bulls in my season mode and I am 7-3. I had to start over a few seasons because the CPU would keep cheating to win. With the defaults all at 50 i started 0-4 in one season, and 1-3 in another.

I just got tired of being up by 4 to 10 points in the 4th only to start shooting 35-40% and the CPU shooting 70% in the 4th, and cheesing to victory.

They still do it a little at my current settings but its not nearly as bad.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »