Home

Do players develop based on production?

This is a discussion on Do players develop based on production? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-17-2014, 07:25 AM   #17
MVP

dwayne12345's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Do players develop based on production?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkknightrises
Yeah 2k thinks guys decline at like 27-29 when it is more like 31-32 in real life and they think they are over the hill at like 30-31 instead of like the 33-35 in real life and they think that no one can be great over 31 even though you have guys that still play at a high level in real life like kobe, duncan, ect.
You realize Kobe, Nash, Duncan, and the like are the exception and not the rule. I really agree the progression system is broken but guys taking sharp declines in their late 20's early 30's is not it I don't think.

My problem is more with guys who don't play at all progressing as normal.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:33 AM   #18
Pro

joosegoose's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne12345
You realize Kobe, Nash, Duncan, and the like are the exception and not the rule. I really agree the progression system is broken but guys taking sharp declines in their late 20's early 30's is not it I don't think.

Yes, players remaining elite late into their careers is an uncommon exception.

How many players are there, though, who were never particularly great but are still valuable role players at age 30+? A good few on pretty much every team, right? It's impossible in 2k15--that's the problem.

I was actually just playing MyLeague and spotted 31 year old Omer Asik at 63 overall; he shouldn't be sniffing any team's 15th spot. This happening to a few guys would be fine (and realistic) but it happens to almost every player who wasn't a star. Even stars (the kind who aren't currently veterans) are rarely worthy of being a 6th man at age 32.

The worst part is that shooting and iq magically disappears--JJ Redick in his age 32 season was a worse shooter than Ricky Rubio in my franchise. I can't begin to describe how hard that makes me laugh.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:50 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Don't be foolish. Stats and a good season are the parameters most players use to get overpaid. It's not perfect but the fact that you can sign a player to a big contract and have him decline sharply shortly thereafter is on par with reality.

How do you think Kendrick Perkins, Brendan Haywood, Jeremy Lin, Amare Stoudemire, Andrea Bargnani, Joe Johnson, and many others have come to be known as "bad contracts" or "overpaid?"

A guy has a 20-10 season gets a big contract and immediately sharply declines shortly thereafter. Best real world example of this is OJ Mayo's 3 year 8 mill per year deal.

The system was designed to force the cpu (and unsuspecting users) into signing bad contracts.

If you have a problem with Kevin Love's declining 3 point rating change his training regimen to focus on outside shooting. That's what that option is there for. If you don't like Danny Green or Patrick Beverly declining sharply after year 1 it's a simple fix. Go into the roster editor and raise their potential rating to be at least 1 point higher than their overall rating. That way their sharp decline happens later on and not after the first season.

As far as when players decline it's not uniform. Ricky Rubio for example won't start sharply declining until his mid 30's and won't reach his potential until his late 20's (that was how he was in 2k14). 2K has a hidden attribute that dictates that and it's different for each player.
LOL all these tweaks that you manually have to do yourself essentially show how broken the game is to begin with.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:52 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 4

I had Goran Dragic fall off a cliff at the age of 31 in MyLeague. Went from an 82 game starter to barely being able to handle 19 minutes a game. His statistical output is about the same per 36 however.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:58 AM   #21
Rookie

Riggins's Arena

Just wanted to point out that Kendrick Perkins, Brendan Haywood, Jeremy Lin, Amare Stoudemire, Andrea Bargnani, and Joe Johnson are ALL one dimensional players and were overpaid from the get go. Not so much Iso Joe, but it still wasn't a good contract.

I just think player development should be based soley on production. If Stoudamire starts averaging 20+ points a game again guess what's gonna happen, his rating next year (or in an update obviously) will be higher.

Fratagonia on YouTube, Fratagonia Sports Gaming.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2014, 11:23 AM   #22
Rookie

dmankey1's Arena

I don't think players should have to get ample playing time in order to progress. Should the player be rewarded for a good statistical year? Yes. Equally they should regress with a poor year. I think the main progression should come from practice and potential grade. Players don't have to get playing time to become good. They practice every day just like the starters so all their lacking is the actual experience of being on the court. What would the threshold be if a player had to get playing time to progress? They had to become good enough somehow to get minutes in the first place. Most players start their career by coming off the bench. Would they have to just excel every time and outplay the average production level to progress? That just doesn't seem fair or right to me. A player should progress based on many factors and practice should be the heaviest, Potential somewhere in the middle and PT being the lowest. Just my thoughts.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:11 AM   #23
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:

I know that not all guys play at a high level at 33-36 but very few guys decline before 30 in less they have a lot of injures or get in trouble with the law or something. Most guys are going to decline around 31-32 and most guys are not going to have a big decline in till like 33-35. Even though not ever player is going to be like 35 and still playing great there are pletty of people at like 32-34 that are still solid players. In this game 32-34 is like over the hill. In this game 32-34 is more like 35-37 in real life. In the NFL a RB being 30 is like a NBA player who is 35-36. In this game right now guys are decline at 30 like a RB declines at like 30 that is the problem.

Last edited by darkknightrises; 11-18-2014 at 02:16 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:56 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkknightrises
I know that not all guys play at a high level at 33-36 but very few guys decline before 30 in less they have a lot of injures or get in trouble with the law or something. Most guys are going to decline around 31-32 and most guys are not going to have a big decline in till like 33-35. Even though not ever player is going to be like 35 and still playing great there are pletty of people at like 32-34 that are still solid players. In this game 32-34 is like over the hill. In this game 32-34 is more like 35-37 in real life. In the NFL a RB being 30 is like a NBA player who is 35-36. In this game right now guys are decline at 30 like a RB declines at like 30 that is the problem.
The average NBA player plays 4.8 years in the NBA. The Average NBA player that is selected as an All-Star retires after 11.36 seasons, so between 28-30.

Here's a very short article, based on the book "Stumbling on Wins" that more thoroughly explains this;
http://wagesofwins.com/nba-players-age-like-milk/
Keep in mind that the average drop in stats between 32-34 is;

32 - 22% less than the year before.
33 - 35% less than the year before.
34 - 57% less than the year before.

Those are averages from all NBA players that even make it to being that old in the league. From 33 to 34 they drop by more than half of their year 33 stats, which had already dropped a third from the year before that. That's crazy statistically, and well represented in the game

I would say 2k's method of dropping all players is terrible, but it's pretty accurate. Less than 5% of NBA players (all the examples of those 5% are most likely HoF players, keep that in mind) play well all the way through their careers, or even remotely as efficiently as they did when they were in their expected prime of 25-27. You can't pull up examples of Hall of Fame players and say, "well they didn't drop off" because there are literally hundreds of players that did fall off in that same time. They're HoF for a reason brosephs.

Anyway, 2k handles this poorly, but reading this thread a lot of you have very skewed perceptions of the careers that NBA players have, or statistically how well they do throughout them.

Last edited by nry20; 11-18-2014 at 02:02 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »