Home

Would anyone else like to see a randomize potential option?

This is a discussion on Would anyone else like to see a randomize potential option? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-20-2015, 07:00 PM   #25
Pro

joosegoose's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Would anyone else like to see a randomize potential option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtownwaves
This is why I play my gm more than my league. With a good enough gm(sim through a bunch of franchises, like 10 years a piece), you can develop anyone, except someone too old. This adds a depth to the game that cant be achieved in my league by removing potential from the equation really. You can literally take ANY player, no matter the rating, and turn them into a star, with enough time. So when I play my gm, I only get the youngest players that never really develop or take too long(Bruno Caboclo, gianis before they started boosting him, same with mirotic) and I boost their progression through my gm badges.

Its become a hobby to take terrible(55overall) size freaks(always write down wing span, cant see it again after draft), and moving them down a position(IE 6'11 sf into sg)... Developing that person who's potential was supposed to be a 65 at best, into a guy after 2-3 years on my team now a 95 potential, can be a key contributor/star somewhere. This talent "didnt exist" before my gm made it possible. You get what you wanted from my league in my gm, if you use your powers for good instead of evil. One could just as easily horde the best talent and keep them on top of their game for 20 years. The higher the potential, the slower the descent, plus all the other boosts you've gained throughout your career...
You do realize you can accomplish that in MyLeague as well, right? You can edit anything about any player, at any time. You can take random scrubs from other teams and boost them however you want. It's actually much easier, if that's what you're into.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2015, 07:17 PM   #26
Pro

No. This is worse than the attribute boxes. If I buy a game I want control. I don't want to have to generate a player based on random stuff. Not in a basketball game where those things mean a lot. You can't randomize a player's potential. Potential isn't really random.

Potential is essentially how consistent you play at a certain level. If you consistently out perform your peers. That's not a coicidence. It's not random. It's because you were better prepared to excel. Therefore people would content your potential is high because you have consitently performed above the competition. Potential is what is expected based on your previous achievements. IMO

I understand your assement of Whiteside but Truth be told it was like Rudy Golbert where he played in the D league. Whiteside and Golbert were drafted to do what they are doing now. It just takes some guys longer to get it. Doesn't mean people didn't potentially expect them to do these things. The main thing that should change is just because your potential is high doesn't mean you will perform well. It just means people expect you too. Im sure Pat Riely expected Whiteside to pan out. That's why he kept him on the team. If he didn't he would have just cut him like a lot of players end up being. Even with all his off court issues they kept him because they knew potentially he could have some big moments and he has.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:15 AM   #27
MVP

OVR: 8
Icon7 Re: Would anyone else like to see a randomize potential option?

Maybe an option to turn it on or off in the different modes? That would seem to satisfy both camps.

I personally like the idea of a potential range and the idea of players not realizing potential due to bad situations. But much like technicals and flagrants were left out for years, coding a particular team, city, or player (such as playing with a particularly selfish scorer or malcontent) is probably something the league would frown on.

But I would definitely like to see more randomization. It would be nice to see a couple 2nd rounders turn into Chandler Parsons, Paul Milsap, or Wes Mathews. It would be nice to see some first round busts like Darko or Chris Washburn or Michael Olokowandi. And I'd like to see some guys simply take their game to the next level like Jodie Meeks did with the Lakers last year or JJ Reddick did in Orlando. Not necessarily becoming superstars but after a couple years of not being real good, finding their games and becoming very servicable rotation players or even solid starters. And of course the occasional non-drafted free agent gem, e.g. Robert Covington.

MyLeague does seem somewhat scripted with the same young players reaching the same levels each time you play through a few years. You don't generally see someone fall off a cliff performance wise like a Danny Granger or a Gerald Wallace or a Ben Gordon unless they have severe injuries. While I can understand how some people wouldn't like having a player they invested in "randomly" have their game go south, I would. That is basketball (as a Pistons fan I've seen Darko, Ben Gordon, Charlie V., Josh Smith, Andre Drummond, so I know how guys can be worse or better than expected).

While I realize that 2k developers have limited time so they have to make choices, I think randomized potential of sorts (more so than what we see now, although I realize their system is designed to occasionally have guys not realize their potential) would be a great addition to a future version, particularly with an on/off feature for those who would be unhappy with this feature. I think the challenge would be that if you did do the "range of potential" option with somone having a 70-85 potential option, you would need two sets of roster data and possibly mess up editing options. But that kind of technical issue is beyond my pay grade.

That said, I would love to see the D-league return with a way to develop players, whether under the current system of potential, or under some of the more randomized options discussed in this thread.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:05 AM   #28
MVP

dwayne12345's Arena

Quote:
Its become a hobby to take terrible(55overall) size freaks(always write down wing span, cant see it again after draft)
To see wingspan of NBA players after the draft go into Player Comparison. Go over a few tabs to where it has their height/weight. It has the real wingspan of every player as well as what team originally drafted them.

Sorry I don't have the game in front of me to say exactly where the player comparison tab is but it's there. I think it's the tab between front office and scouting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosegoose
You do realize you can accomplish that in MyLeague as well, right? You can edit anything about any player, at any time. You can take random scrubs from other teams and boost them however you want. It's actually much easier, if that's what you're into.
That's not what we're talking about above. That's just editing a player mid franchise which isn't something that players who want a challenge really like doing.

Building a winner should be difficult but in a sensible way. Injuries, chemistry issues, hiring the wrong coaching staff, Player getting overpaid in free agency by another team, player leaving a small market because they want to play in a bigger one (i.e. Indiana to L.A./NY), a player getting better than expected and forcing his way out to be the star of his own team (Hello Reggie Jackson). Those are the variables I want to keep the mode interesting.

I don't want to have to edit after I start the mode to achieve that level of drama for my franchise. However I do want the ability to edit before I start player's motives and EXPECTED potential if they are put in a great situation.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:14 PM   #29
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtownwaves
This is why I play my gm more than my league. With a good enough gm(sim through a bunch of franchises, like 10 years a piece), you can develop anyone, except someone too old. This adds a depth to the game that cant be achieved in my league by removing potential from the equation really. You can literally take ANY player, no matter the rating, and turn them into a star, with enough time. So when I play my gm, I only get the youngest players that never really develop or take too long(Bruno Caboclo, gianis before they started boosting him, same with mirotic) and I boost their progression through my gm badges.

Its become a hobby to take terrible(55overall) size freaks(always write down wing span, cant see it again after draft), and moving them down a position(IE 6'11 sf into sg)... Developing that person who's potential was supposed to be a 65 at best, into a guy after 2-3 years on my team now a 95 potential, can be a key contributor/star somewhere. This talent "didnt exist" before my gm made it possible. You get what you wanted from my league in my gm, if you use your powers for good instead of evil. One could just as easily horde the best talent and keep them on top of their game for 20 years. The higher the potential, the slower the descent, plus all the other boosts you've gained throughout your career...

With training you should be able to do the same thing in My League, as long as he performs well, as it sounds like performance now means something.

I like the idea of GM mode, but I like to keep things realistic and that's impossible in My GM, so that's why I wont play it. If they allowed 30 team control in My GM so you could stop a stupid unrealistic trade along with being able to adjust a lineup for a team if need be, I would be all for playing My GM, as I like the idea that you can be fired from a team.

The 1 thing I hate about using 30 team control in My League is the fact that you have to do all trades for teams, where as on the old consoles you could do 30 team control, but set it so you didn't have to do everything for every team, and you could just manage the team you wanted to.

Unfortunately that's not possible so doing 30 team control in My GM makes it so you have to do everything for every team, but My GM only allows for 1 team control, so you ened up with stupid moves.

So only option for those like myself that want realism your only option is My League. While I love all the new additions to it over the old Association, I hope in the future they make it so using 30 team control you can set what you want to do for each team and what you want on auto, with the ability to play commish and nix trades like they have it now in My League.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 03-23-2015, 02:42 AM   #30
MVP

dwayne12345's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseIH
With training you should be able to do the same thing in My League, as long as he performs well, as it sounds like performance now means something.

I like the idea of GM mode, but I like to keep things realistic and that's impossible in My GM, so that's why I wont play it. If they allowed 30 team control in My GM so you could stop a stupid unrealistic trade along with being able to adjust a lineup for a team if need be, I would be all for playing My GM, as I like the idea that you can be fired from a team.

The 1 thing I hate about using 30 team control in My League is the fact that you have to do all trades for teams, where as on the old consoles you could do 30 team control, but set it so you didn't have to do everything for every team, and you could just manage the team you wanted to.

Unfortunately that's not possible so doing 30 team control in My GM makes it so you have to do everything for every team, but My GM only allows for 1 team control, so you ened up with stupid moves.

So only option for those like myself that want realism your only option is My League. While I love all the new additions to it over the old Association, I hope in the future they make it so using 30 team control you can set what you want to do for each team and what you want on auto, with the ability to play commish and nix trades like they have it now in My League.
Why don't you just control 1 team in MyLeague? Then you can up the trade frequency and have the option to block trades on.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:41 PM   #31
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne12345
Why don't you just control 1 team in MyLeague? Then you can up the trade frequency and have the option to block trades on.

I thought about that, but I like the 1st season to follow whats going on IRL, with injuries and all. That's why I liked how old Association was wit the option to do or not do things, rather than having to do everything, or just control 1 team.
I also hate that the game auto saves after each game, because in the past if you didn't like the outcome of the game, you could back out of your Association and start over. I always like making sure that teams that stink IRL stink in my league, and good teams are good. Only team I don't worry about is my team and if I stink I stink even if they are good, or vice versa.

I know, Im very OCD, and Im sure that sounds weird to a lot of people how I like to play that 1st season,lol. Wish I could just enjoy the game and let it play out however, but every time I do that, I end up not enjoying it.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2015, 08:32 PM   #32
Pro

joosegoose's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseIH
I thought about that, but I like the 1st season to follow whats going on IRL, with injuries and all. That's why I liked how old Association was wit the option to do or not do things, rather than having to do everything, or just control 1 team.
I also hate that the game auto saves after each game, because in the past if you didn't like the outcome of the game, you could back out of your Association and start over. I always like making sure that teams that stink IRL stink in my league, and good teams are good. Only team I don't worry about is my team and if I stink I stink even if they are good, or vice versa.

I know, Im very OCD, and Im sure that sounds weird to a lot of people how I like to play that 1st season,lol. Wish I could just enjoy the game and let it play out however, but every time I do that, I end up not enjoying it.
Are you in the camp that misses the ability to start a franchise at the current date? I know I am.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »