Home

College Basketball in NBA 2K16? Here's What We Know...

This is a discussion on College Basketball in NBA 2K16? Here's What We Know... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-20-2015, 04:41 PM   #57
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Could NBA 2K16 Feature Real Colleges? We Dissect...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
If college games ever make a return, it will most likely be with entirely generic rosters due to the current threat of litigation. So, yearly roster updates won't have to be taken into account because they're just going to be generic updates anyways. That makes me wonder if a FIFA World Cup model might work for College Hoops and release one every 4 years. Now, obviously, FIFA World Cup comes out every 4 years because it's riding the excitement and anticipation of the upcoming World Cup ... College Hoops wouldn't have a highly anticipated event like that to boost interest. So maybe you put it on a 2 year cycle. But in any case, make it a big event when a new College Hoops game comes out. Make the game something that college fans will be looking forward to, but also make it a rare enough event that its novelty will draw in some NBA fans who might not care otherwise.

You're not dumping tons of resources into making a yearly release. You're basically just taking the NBA engine and slapping a college coat of paint over the top every 2-4 years (which is probably much more involved than I'm making it sound). As much as I love college basketball, it really is a niche sport with the majority of people really only caring about the tournament. If it ever returns as its own game, a 2-4 year cycle could help limit development costs and make it more exciting when a new game does come out. Just make sure that any NBA 2K's that come out on off-years are still compatible with the most recent College Hoops so you always have that yearly tie in with MyCareer/MyLeague mode.

I'll take anything I can get college basketball related at the moment though. I'm eager to see what 2K does with college basketball implementation this year. I'm hoping for a situation where your team has made it to the "Sensational 16" at the "National College Basketball Tournament" and your performance dictates what kind of draft stock you have if you decide to turn pro that year.
These are my sentiments exactly! We have to square the reality of what/where college basketball ranks in America vs how profitable such a video-game venture would be. This isn't college football. But like you said, I think that model could work on both fronts. College Hoops is a game you need a few years to delve into, anyway. Then it being compatible with whatever versions on NBA 2K released just keeps it relevant. Either way, I'm absolutely stoked about anything college. For that reason I am looking forward to NBA2K16's MyCareer mode, even though I generally stay away from it. Cant wait to see what they do with it.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:26 AM   #58
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27
I will be absolutely amazed if I ever see another college video game published.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:36 AM   #59
MVP

TheVinylHippo's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: College Basketball in NBA 2K16? Here's What We Know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
I will be absolutely amazed if I ever see another college video game published.
They'll come back. Eventually. I hope.

I can't wait for the day -- if it ever comes -- when College Hoops 2K??/NBA 2K?? can link up MyCareer modes, assuming they'd do a MyCareer mode for a College Hoops game. That would be awesome.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:25 AM   #60
MVP

lakers24's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVinylHippo
They'll come back. Eventually. I hope.

I can't wait for the day -- if it ever comes -- when College Hoops 2K??/NBA 2K?? can link up MyCareer modes, assuming they'd do a MyCareer mode for a College Hoops game. That would be awesome.
Yeah, it'd be sick especially since AAU circuit and the one and done has essentially taken over college bball now. Hype surrounding freshmen is unreal now unlike how it was even 7-8 years ago when 2k8 came out. Durant and Oden were the first year I can really remember them starting to run college.

Imagine starting your Mycareer in the summer between your junior and senior season of HS, then after that you choose which college you'll attend and it'll skip to your senior year playoffs and after you'd start college. They could have games where you know scouts are there and it can improve or hurt your stock, etc.

Last edited by lakers24; 08-07-2015 at 02:29 AM.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:01 AM   #61
Rookie

doublek's Arena

OVR: 4

I mean it is an even more scripted story this time around with Spike Lee. My guess would be for you to pick a university to play for and then have generic players whose going to have characteristics that affects your MyPlayer. For example, your center might be the leader of the team who serves as your mentor and then insert a rival player who plays ahead of your position... etc
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2015, 03:20 PM   #62
Pro

OVR: 9

I hate to say it, but having this in the game is the only way I will be purchasing this year. As a former college hoops 2k fanatic, it's been a lonely 8 years. I don't expect much, but if you gave me the ability to stay in college for 4 years, even if that only meant I got to play 12 NCAA games before going pro, I'd do it, and love every second of it if the presentation was nailed properly. I loved how in NCAA Football, they had you play a full HS season to build up your scholarship offers, and I think they could tie a lot of that into career mode, HS for scholarship offers, college to build stock, pros to earn money. Money needs to mean something though, cars and homes, parties and vacations, etc. It needs to be more RPG, and less linear and forced. It's asking a whole heck of a lot, but as a Celtics fan who refuses to buy a 2k game until they use most of their 125 1st round draft picks because frankly, the NBA bores me to tears, this is their way of keeping me in. Unfortunately, I'm sure I'm a minority but man, the possibility is there and I'm praying it's delivered.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:54 AM   #63
Just started!

Lots of info about modes but what I'm not seeing is details about improving critical areas of GAME PLAY such as:

1. Passing
2. Defense
3. Post Play
4. Animations
5. Better Pick N Roll
6. Online Play

Just a little concerned that all the additions are story line and visual tweaks or non gameplay related additions. I love the game despite all the problems but legacy issues have had me putting "14 & "15 down after a month or two.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:25 AM   #64
Pro

Crystar500's Arena

No likenesses... Logos and brands only... Top colleges...

MyLeague?

Think how cool that would be. And how efficient scouting would be if there was a college season alongside the regular NBA season. You could see guys play before you draft them! You could be assured you were drafting someone you want. And the colleges you don't watch could make you miss out on talent. I'd love that. International players will be just as much of a mystery as real life as well. They already post the stats and scouting on social media in MyLeague... I'd say, "Why not?"

Of course, the missing spots that players in the draft class are not in, in terms of the college roster, can just be filled in with "John Davis" guys.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »