Home

Green Releases Much Rarer in NBA 2K16, No Longer 100% - More Details From Mike Wang

This is a discussion on Green Releases Much Rarer in NBA 2K16, No Longer 100% - More Details From Mike Wang within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2015, 09:37 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Green Releases Much Rarer in NBA 2K16, No Longer 100% - More Details From Mike Wang

Mike Wang, Gameplay Director for NBA 2K16 mentioned on Twitter that green releases are much rarer in NBA 2K16 and they will no longer be 100%.

He also mentions the following (in post #22):

Quote:
There have been battles even internally over missed green releases, especially now that they're so hard to get. I really think it's an unsolvable problem. The best news I can give you is that our shots engineer has made just about every knob I use to tune shooting modifiable on the server side post release just like a roster update. So if there's something the community isn't happy with I can tweak the system and update your games without the need for a patch. So what happened with patch 4 last year will never happen again.

UPDATE: Mike has chimed in on this topic with more details, to clear up any confusion (post #211)

Quote:
Let me clear up a few things as there's a lot of speculation going on right now. This is why I hate Twitter. But anyway...

I have not removed "user skill." There's still a great deal of weight applied to shot timing. So knowing your players' releases is still a key success factor. It's just that shot quality is much more important this year so you have to take good shots.

For those wondering how we made green releases more rare. It's done based on shot %. So if you take a low quality shot, you basically won't be able to achieve an excellent release. As your shot quality improves, the window for an excellent release grows. So again... take good shots.

Last year, green releases were meant to be 100%. If you saw one miss, that was a bug. A good bug... but a bug nonetheless. This year, the shot bonus for greens is still pretty high and it's based on the shot %. So the higher the %, the greater the excellent timing boost. This is basically how our shot system has always worked, I just tuned it. It's kind of a mix between what we had in 14 and 15. And yes, it does kind of suck to miss a green release, but over time, it feels right. Still, I might tweak the system after getting more feedback from everyone... but nobody is really complaining about it internally.

And why don't we just remove the shot meter? Too many people like it and it's still a valuable tool. Not everyone has the time (or desire) to memorize the shot timing for hundreds of players in the league. And if you like to play with lots of teams, or just want to experiment with a new team, the shot meter is very helpful. You can always turn it off if you want.

Last thing, we CAN tune offline differently from online. So I'll be monitoring feedback closely once you guys have the game to make sure everybody's happy.

He also added this on Twitter...

Quote:
New Shot Meter option for #NBA2K16 called "Feedback Only." Meter won't draw while shooting, only after release to show how close you were.
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox One
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2015, 09:50 AM   #2
All Star

OVR: 32
Re: Green releases are much rarer in NBA 2K16 and also no longer 100%

Wonderful news. A tremendous change.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:53 AM   #3
Pro

Gilley's Arena

OVR: 5

I just hope this will last and doesn't get changed in a patch.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:17 AM   #4
MVP

jk31's Arena

OVR: 0

I hope they tune down penalty for not hitting green though...In online play on HoF it's really really hard to get a green release.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:24 AM   #5
All Star

Mintsa's Arena

OVR: 17

Great news. I also hope this doesn't get changed in a patch during the season.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2015, 10:26 AM   #6
Rookie

JohnnyCash2015's Arena

No 100% is really all we needed, thanks wang

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2015, 10:31 AM   #7
Rookie

I guess this is cool but I see this leading to a return of people complaining that the perfect release grade doesn't mean anything which was part of the reason they put the shot bar in the game in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2015, 10:34 AM   #8
Banned

Definitely wanna see how this plays out. People gonna have a love/hate relationship with this one.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »