Home

NBA 2K16 Review in Progress IGN

This is a discussion on NBA 2K16 Review in Progress IGN within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-23-2015, 04:53 PM   #73
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K16 Review in Progress IGN

The guy who does the review at least does know what "zig-zag" and "cheese" is, so more than most people who review NBA2K.

But the gameplay did no impress me, not sure if they played bad or if its a general problem.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:55 PM   #74
Pro

TheDuggler's Arena

The guy using the Bulls looked like it was his first time playing a 2K game ever, and I think the guy using the Warriors was holding back because he definitely was a much better player.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:58 PM   #75
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReichesMacht
The guy who does the review at least does know what "zig-zag" and "cheese" is, so more than most people who review NBA2K.

But the gameplay did no impress me, not sure if they played bad or if its a general problem.
I didn't see him call a single play
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2015, 05:04 PM   #76
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornindamecca
I don't want to derail this into a "how I would fix MyCareer" thread, so I'll leave it at this:

The scope and limitation of the perspective is already set within the NBA backdrop. In the first few years of MyPlayer, despite its flaws, people were able to fit much more closely into the kinds of player archetype they wanted to be. Since current gen began, 2k has opted for a path of giving less choices to the player under the idea that it allowed them to create more content.

This is categorically untrue. There is a way to design this mode with cutscenes, voice acting, immersion AND freedom without locking yourself into an infinity of branches and content that people would never see. It requires a lot of thinking and planning, but the issue is that 2k isn't trying to do that. They're moving in the direction of Fight Night Champion.

That's enjoyable as a side thing, but it doesn't reflect the experience of creating a player and making the tough on court and off court choices that simulates and dramatizes an NBA career.
I do prefer the approach of last-gen MyCareer which included the Combine, Summer League, D-League, etc. and focused on the path to the league. It was experience driven without the need for cinematics, and this left narrative to the imagination of the player.

Cinematics within the mode could have a universal appeal IMO as sequences, cutscenes and events that are centered around the life and experiences of a basketball player. But when the story starts delving into particulars, such as family, environment, upbringing etc., it inherently becomes exclusive on some level(unless there is a broad level of customization there)... so I do agree that the current approach presents an issue.

From what I can see, 'Livin Da Life' has specific elements within its story-line and for all intents and purposes, we are 'Frequency Vibrations' in this game... so for me I wasn't expecting an immersive experience from the standpoint of the story this year. I think at least that once the story is no longer central to the mode(by the second season I've heard), a greater sense of immersion may be available to all players.

Last edited by eko718; 09-23-2015 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-23-2015, 05:08 PM   #77
MVP

lakers24's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by eko718
I do prefer the approach of last-gen MyCareer which included the Combine, Summer League, D-League, etc. and focused on the path to the league. It was experience driven without the need for cinematics, and this left narrative to the imagination of the player.

Cinematics within the mode could have a universal appeal IMO as sequences, cutscenes and events that are centered around the life and experiences of a basketball player. But when the story starts delving into particulars, such as family, environment, upbringing etc., it inherently becomes exclusive on some level(unless there is a broad level of customization there).

From what I can see, 'Livin Da Life' has a specific elements within its story-line and for all intents and purposes, we are 'Frequency Vibrations' in this game... so for me I wasn't expecting an immersive experience from that standpoint of the story this year. I think at least that once the story is no longer central to the mode(by the second season I've heard), a greater sense of immersion may be available to all players.
Basically at it's core this year, the first part of the mode is essentially a "He Got Game" Spike Lee type movie. Once past that initial 90 minutes of cutscenes it becomes what it's been for years with some improvements.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:16 PM   #78
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers24
Basically at it's core this year, the first part of the mode is essentially a "He Got Game" Spike Lee type movie. Once past that initial 90 minutes of cutscenes it becomes what it's been for years with some improvements.
Exactly, and that was my expectation. In fact, it seems to be returning to the depth of last-gen and in a way outdoing it from the perspective of the available basketball experiences/options, from the inclusion of high school and college, to the addition of all the 'off-day' elements. I would love if the Combine, Summer League, Dleague and Euroleague were/could once again become a part of the experience. If they could get the story aspect right for the masses, the mode would be incredible.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:24 PM   #79
MVP

lakers24's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by eko718
Exactly, and that was my expectation. In fact, it seems to be returning to the depth of last-gen and in a way outdoing it from the perspective of the available basketball experiences/options, from the inclusion of high school and college, to the addition of all the 'off-day' elements. I would love if the Combine, Summer League, Dleague and Euroleague were/could once again become a part of the experience. If they could get the story aspect right for the masses, the mode would be incredible.
Most definitely, I think after this year it'll be more like last gen as far as the depth besides just playing games. The next thing would be to add all the different paths you can take (overseas, D-League), I'm not sure they'll ever have a full storyline without dictating things a little too much, but they could always keep cutscenes for things like announcing decisions, draft day, introductions, meetings, activities, winning awards, etc.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:26 PM   #80
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26
NBA 2K16 Review in Progress IGN

That was hard to sit through, but as everyone else can see these guys aren't the best players lol.

I did like some of what I saw though, the passing looked particularly improved, as did the shooting animations, defense and a few other things.

At this point, I'm just waiting for midnight tomorrow night. The shoddy gameplay videos and heresy aren't doing it for me anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »