Home

Sim, is it even real anymore?

This is a discussion on Sim, is it even real anymore? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-18-2015, 10:08 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0

Honestly, I was the guy who had the 20 plus lines of rules. But in video gaming, what is sim really? If we were to see a true Sim NBA game, we would have to see 12 minute quarters and really have the CPU play on its own. Nowadays, sim is just a bunch of rules that tailor gameplay around a particular type of player. But i dont feel like the truly represent the follow NBA basketball experience.

Key rules like PIP (points in the paint), and fastbreaking dont actually represent true play in todays NBA. Those two particular rules state for PIP, you can only score a set amount of points in the paint (usually around 50% with deductions). And You can only fastbreak off turnovers...

Real life basketball shows teams who advance the ball up court, utilizing the young athletic talent they may have. Miami Heat's transition game was one of the most potent offenses in there Champion runs. You cant tell me that teams with post studs limited there post play to 50% of their offense.

These rules are in conflict with the fact that they limit the true feel of NBA basketball. But the idea is to limit cheese and exploits. SO to me, its not about what you do, its how you do it. Example, if you have Shaq, you are crazy if you arent running post plays directed to him. And for me, if you kill me with 100% skilled post moves (not catch n turbo bs), its on me. You should force me to either play straight up or double. If i have a weak halfcourt team, i should be able to runs you in transition, the same if you have the rebounding advantage...

Basketball is about adjustments, and as long as its not exploitation it should never be an issue. Unfortunating the Sim world today isnt about that. So i am no longer Sim Style, but Real Style....

I welcome opinions, but please dont be rude.....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2015, 10:36 PM   #2
Rookie

RedStickGamer's Arena

Re: Sim, is it even real anymore?

I'm with you on that. Having rules for a set amount of points in various scoring ways isn't realistic. Can you imagine the game being tied at the end and you already hit your PIP limit.... The best rules you can have is an age restriction and to be kind and courteous to your opponent when winning or losing. Communication and getting to know your fellow league members are what make a great league last and prosper. I hate losing, but winning isn't everything.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Check out the squad - https://www.youtube.com/user/RedStickGaming

Old 11-18-2015, 11:10 PM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStickGamer
I'm with you on that. Having rules for a set amount of points in various scoring ways isn't realistic. Can you imagine the game being tied at the end and you already hit your PIP limit.... The best rules you can have is an age restriction and to be kind and courteous to your opponent when winning or losing. Communication and getting to know your fellow league members are what make a great league last and prosper. I hate losing, but winning isn't everything.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
The only real rules i have is On ball Defense. In reality real humans guard real humans. The only way to simulate this is to be the on ball defender everytime.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:13 PM   #4
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMurphys_Law
Honestly, I was the guy who had the 20 plus lines of rules. But in video gaming, what is sim really? If we were to see a true Sim NBA game, we would have to see 12 minute quarters and really have the CPU play on its own. Nowadays, sim is just a bunch of rules that tailor gameplay around a particular type of player. But i dont feel like the truly represent the follow NBA basketball experience.

Key rules like PIP (points in the paint), and fastbreaking dont actually represent true play in todays NBA. Those two particular rules state for PIP, you can only score a set amount of points in the paint (usually around 50% with deductions). And You can only fastbreak off turnovers...

Real life basketball shows teams who advance the ball up court, utilizing the young athletic talent they may have. Miami Heat's transition game was one of the most potent offenses in there Champion runs. You cant tell me that teams with post studs limited there post play to 50% of their offense.

These rules are in conflict with the fact that they limit the true feel of NBA basketball. But the idea is to limit cheese and exploits. SO to me, its not about what you do, its how you do it. Example, if you have Shaq, you are crazy if you arent running post plays directed to him. And for me, if you kill me with 100% skilled post moves (not catch n turbo bs), its on me. You should force me to either play straight up or double. If i have a weak halfcourt team, i should be able to runs you in transition, the same if you have the rebounding advantage...

Basketball is about adjustments, and as long as its not exploitation it should never be an issue. Unfortunating the Sim world today isnt about that. So i am no longer Sim Style, but Real Style....

I welcome opinions, but please dont be rude.....
1) i dont think there is a problem with traditional sim rules if that is what a person enjoys, although i dont think they are very realistic.
2) i personally think the game has given people the tools to stop things like pip and fastbreaks, without rules.

I think this is a great topic and one that has slowed the advancement of sports gaming. Allowing developers to blame a playstyle for unrealistic results, is a way of diverting attention from the flaws of the game. Great post.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Old 11-18-2015, 11:22 PM   #5
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Feels like the whole idea of sim has been lost over the years by some...

Things like not passing to a wide open man down low to meet some kind of PIP is whack to me...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2015, 11:22 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
1) i dont think there is a problem with traditional sim rules if that is what a person enjoys, although i dont think they are very realistic.
2) i personally think the game has given people the tools to stop things like pip and fastbreaks, without rules.

I think this is a great topic and one that has slowed the advancement of sports gaming. Allowing developers to blame a playstyle for unrealistic results, is a way of diverting attention from the flaws of the game. Great post.
I agree with this. And now we are given the tools to counter. Its all preference, and I just dont want to play a team like TWolves running screens for Wiggins. That just doesnt make sense to me. If Im the Sixers, how else can I get my shooters open at a greater rate outside of playing inside out with Jahlil?
Old 11-18-2015, 11:39 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMurphys_Law
The only real rules i have is On ball Defense. In reality real humans guard real humans. The only way to simulate this is to be the on ball defender everytime.
There's already a huge thread about this, but for the record I completely disagree.

Quick example, if I'm manning the PG, and the PG passes off to the C beyond the arc, it's WAY more imperative to me as a defender to stay with the PG than it is to switch off and man the C. Like, not even close. Sorry.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:50 PM   #8
Banned

If you play 12 min quarters shoot your self

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »