Home

Dribbling Mechanics Going Forward

This is a discussion on Dribbling Mechanics Going Forward within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-29-2015, 11:43 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0

Where do you guys think we are as far as the handle goes? I think its improved in some ways but taken some disappointing steps back in others (or simply remained stagnant). I think a good deal of it has to with the way players move at base level. We have a good ways to go on that front I think.

I hear the word "subtle" used quite a bit in describing it and in some cases you can get some fairly nuanced results:

Overall though I think things get bogged down with strange launch angles and too often unresponsive inputs. Here's a good example:

Everything looks very good initially. The setup into the crossover looks good from Wall and he gets Delly to bite in the crossover. The animation that plays out for Delly is perfect. It's not over the top and looks like what you'd normally see if someone is hit with a good crossover. It not a "broke em" play but its good enough. Things break down after that though. When I've finished the crossover I'm sent on an awkward, ill-advised, space wasting path. Instead of a hard angle towards the basket my path is rounded out and extended so I'm headed towards the sideline.

I can see this happening and to compensate for it (and the fact that it will allow Delly to recover) I start hitting down on the stick to get a behind the back move. No dice, the input is ignored in spite of the fact that I've got plenty of space to make the move. In the end, because of the bad angle I was forced to take initially and the lack of response to my inputs my defender does recover in spite of being hit with a move what typically will result in a clear path to the basket.

The most frustrating thing is that it doesn't always go that way. The scenario does play out properly sometimes.But I have no control over the angle I take to the basket:

Maybe there's something I can do in these situations that I've missed. What do you guys think?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2015, 04:50 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 3
Re: Dribbling Mechanics Going Forward

I think there needs to be moves for all speeds: walking, jogging, running, sprinting.

Also there needs to be moves in tight areas with talented ball-handlers.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:56 AM   #3
Rookie

Sleepy59's Arena

Every year you have less and less control over what you actually want to do. On-ball D broken, directional pass broken, driving broken. It's sad that people have to make tutorials on passing lol. Fact is, it's broken.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:20 AM   #4
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Not knowing, unwilling to learn how to do something doesn't mean it's broken...

To the OP, good thread. What camera do you play on? A lot of times that can help with the angles you take. I couldn't understand why I could blow by guys on 2k cam more effectively then broadcast, which is my preferred camera. It was the wide angles you're talking about. I've learned how to cut down some of the extra space a bit.

Posted this last night, but the motion of moves like this naturally put you at a wide angle....

https://vid.me/4Y5Q

I agree with the crossovers in tight spaces. That's where 2k's 'cadance' dribbling system hurts....needing to make a quick move in tight spaces to get yourself out of trouble isn't as effective. Hopefully they can work on that for next year.

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 12-30-2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:33 AM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_headedmonster
I think there needs to be moves for all speeds: walking, jogging, running, sprinting.

Also there needs to be moves in tight areas with talented ball-handlers.
I'm with you. In some cases you can see the potential for more natural scenarios to play out. All those animations are there (some can be improved) but the transitions from one to the other is often awkward and in some cases downright strange:

Last edited by Scofield; 12-30-2015 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Vid
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2015, 09:38 AM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Not knowing, unwilling to learn how to do something doesn't mean it's broken...

To the OP, good thread. What camera do you play on? A lot of times that can help with the angles you take. I couldn't understand why I could blow by guys on 2k cam more effectively then broadcast, which is my preferred camera. It was the wide angles you're talking about. I've learned how to cut down some of the extra space a bit.

Posted this last night, but the motion of moves like this naturally put you at a wide angle....

https://vid.me/4Y5Q

I agree with the crossovers in tight spaces. That's where 2k's 'cadance' dribbling system hurts....needing to make a quick move in tight spaces to get yourself out of trouble isn't as effective. Hopefully they can work on that for next year.
I've bounced between 2k cam and broadcast. The game looks better on broadcast but 2k cam seems be easier to play on.

I'll have to go back and look but I think 2k13 did a good job of mixing in more "off-cadence" dribble moves in addition to the standard options.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:41 AM   #7
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

2K13 was easily the best version of isomotion after tweaking it all these years....then like that, it's gone....
Old 12-30-2015, 11:02 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

This is a good thread.. I have the same experience with the vids you posted... your first vid with jwall taking wide angles... to be honest it doesn't happen all the time its off and on as you stated. I believe it may have something to do with if your user team has the momentum over the cpu team slightly. "Every notice when you start to get a lead and pull away the cpu team makes every and 1 attempt"?? lol ss/sim 12min btw. This happen to me along with the game not taking my input commands at times because the ai has already decided the outcome for you in which in this case they have decided that jwall would not get a easy layup instead he will be bodied up... I would have done the ame as you with the btb move input ... but my first choice would be a quick spin back toward the middle to take advantage of the defenders momentum. however it has risk of the ball just getting knocked loose due to plp who play online complaining about cheesers... what 2k failed to realize is those who play ofline are now affected aswell in a negative way.

the second vid is just pure cheese from the ai looks like..in know scenario IRL woul d a post defender trail hi guy like that as if he were in kindegarden line an the teacher said follow your buddy in front of you. lol.

To put it simple... 2k made this game tis way and allowed it to be released this way and they don't care to acknowledge or fix it.

24 I agree when you say somethings shouldn't be called broken because a person hasn't took the time to figure out the mechanics... and I appreciate that the majority of your post are neutral you see the good and bad... I believe there are lots of guys who are seeing core problems with this game and not all of them are new to 2k.

Think about it, every year they change the dribbling mechanics for marketing purposes. So they can say its new and improve. hat it does is make us have to re learn It all over again... they should take a page from EA madden and leave the core components of the game alone 2k13 was fine. madden stopped changing the juke buttons spin hurdle and stiff arms years ago... its the same and we like it just fine. to make matters worse 2k is very complex I tell all new commers to be patient and watch youtu be.. 2k doesn't have to print very detailed manual but they could easily have a dedicate youtube channel to explain why the game works the way it does. with Q and A vids responses, how too vids for the "more complex" side of things. the 2ktv stuff is mostly basic.

the game recycles annually why do we have to spend soo much time trying to understand how the game works we should be able to enjoy the game each year with minimal changes to core gameplay.? that's less time for me to enjoy the product I paid $60 for.. I use to start a dynasty every November but since the last few years I have to wait until the game is patched 4 times and start my dynasty late dec. or jan in this case bc every year they change a few things that wasn't broke and I have to learn how to do a simple cross over again to get by my defender lol. and then we all scream about it on OS and an the someone makes a post about it trying to teach others how it works this year...lol

I beat 6 months salary they will **** with it again in 2k17 and change something that's fie and call it new and improved.

Last edited by phlipmode; 12-30-2015 at 11:07 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »