Home

Does Steph Curry Justify Greater Than an 99 Overall Rating?

This is a discussion on Does Steph Curry Justify Greater Than an 99 Overall Rating? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-10-2016, 05:20 PM   #41
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: Does Steph Curry Justify Greater Than an 99 Overall Rating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
the eye test tells me that Curry, this year, hands down is the best player. He's on another level-this year.
He's fluid on a daily basis. He's only had a handful of bad games this year.

He may not be Jordan, but he's having a Jordan type year.

every player has a chance of having that game where they are in th zone, But Curry this year has exceeded this,
he's definitely having a special year, and is worthy of a high rating
This post is right on. No one is saying Curry is Jordan in terms of career. But Curry is at his peak right now and it is at the same level or above Jordan's peak year or other players like Wilt.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2016, 05:22 PM   #42
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Does Steph Curry Justify Greater than an 99 Overall Rating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauer4MVP
Jordan was the better defender, but Curry's the better offensive player.
Pointless debate but Jordan era had handchecking rule, this era doesn't have that. Theoretically speaking do you ever wonder how would Curry score against those bully/aggresive defenders, or how would Jordan rate in today's 'everything's foul' era of basketball. Take that into account and don't look solely on numbers because numbers don't always tell the whole story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkHI1hGvWRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v6JUzxWoGw
Old 05-10-2016, 05:30 PM   #43
Hall Of Fame

cima's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
And that was a fantastic season, but I'd argue Curry's was better. Also not sure how making only 7 threes a year somehow makes it a better season. Just just means he wasn't as efficient as Curry scoring the basketball.
I don't know how you can argue his season was better when Jordan won MVP and DPOY, something only Hakeem has also done. Obviously this debate is going nowhere. Curry is God-like on offense but he's average on defense. End of discussion.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:31 PM   #44
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyClaxton
Pointless debate but Jordan era had handchecking rule, this era doesn't have that. Theoretically speaking do you ever wonder how would Curry score against those bully/aggresive defenders, or how would Jordan rate in today's 'everything's foul' era of basketball. Take that into account and don't look solely on numbers because numbers don't always tell the whole story.
Definitely something to consider but he'd likely be fine. Most of his scoring comes from outside the paint and hand-checking was really to impede progress to the basket. That's still a part of his game, but he'd probably just get more screens or shots off-ball.

Also, people like to think that things weren't called fouls back in the day but Jordan did average over 10 free throw attempts in his back to back 35 ppg plus seasons.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:34 PM   #45
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cima
I don't know how you can argue his season was better when Jordan won MVP and DPOY, something only Hakeem has also done. Obviously this debate is going nowhere. Curry is God-like on offense but he's average on defense. End of discussion.
So you obviously didn't read my posts. Have a great day!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2016, 05:34 PM   #46
MVP

SuperSeahawks's Arena

OVR: 14

Well if MJ isn't above a 99 overall, I don't see why Curry should be IMO.

PSN: SeahawkFan11OS

GT: SuperSeahawks

Twitch
Old 05-10-2016, 05:37 PM   #47
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Definitely something to consider but he'd likely be fine. Most of his scoring comes from outside the paint and hand-checking was really to impede progress to the basket. That's still a part of his game, but he'd probably just get more screens or shots off-ball.

Also, people like to think that things weren't called fouls back in the day but Jordan did average over 10 free throw attempts in his back to back 35 ppg plus seasons.
I can tell you that at least 1 of those 10 averaged fouls back then would be straight flagrant nowadays, refs just don't allow physical game and players with nimble movement just use that to score more, like Harden. Game just became too soft overall, no real rivalries, no real trashtalk everything is just too friendly. Missing old rivalries that were borderline hate & aggresive.

PS: You know league became too soft when Villanueva commenting on Westbrook & Payne was considered 'trash talk' lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkHI1hGvWRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v6JUzxWoGw
Old 05-10-2016, 06:07 PM   #48
MVP

Couldn't you also argue that hand checking helped Jordan be a great defender? And sure that may be true. I guess I'm just saying I doubt Jordan would average many more free throw attempts.

Also, let's not pretend there weren't rules that benefitted Jordan. He was great in post ups and in that era, rules made it tough to defend the catch. It was either completely double team or let them go one on one.

Last edited by Mauer4MVP; 05-10-2016 at 06:13 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »