Home

NBA 2K17 MyLeague CPU Roster Logic Still Really Bad

This is a discussion on NBA 2K17 MyLeague CPU Roster Logic Still Really Bad within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2016, 05:54 AM   #9
Rookie

flo182's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K17 MyLeague CPU Roster Logic Still Really Bad

FIFA has the same problem and it ruins the career mode.
Luckily 2k gives us 30-Team control, this year it's even nicer because you can just do the free-agency and then let the AI play the season.

Anyway, I'm always wondering if it's really that hard to give the AI some kind of blueprint that controls how they build teams.
e.g. 3-4 bigs, 3-4 wings, 3-4 guards.

If they'd stick to such simple rules we wouldn't get teams that spent 90% of their salary on 5-6 centers and 1-2 guards rated in the low 60s...
Old 09-24-2016, 06:27 AM   #10
Banned

It is 20 times quicker than years past.

It's a minor price for your sanity
Old 09-24-2016, 07:08 PM   #11
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

If there was any doubt the CPU was bad at its job, this should put it to bed. I'm just looking to see what I might get for Gordon for laughs and here's Boston ...

I'm an expansion team, 8 games under .500, and Gordon isn't happy that I benched him. He's on a 1-year deal and Boston has no injuries, they're sitting pretty at 30-22. There's no reason for this trade, especially considering the glut of guards Boston already has.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2016, 10:40 PM   #12
MVP

Gramps91's Arena

OVR: 22

Yea, this is kind of a big deal for me. I'm almost exclusively an offline MyLeague player and I usually just devote all of my time to one team. It's disappointing to see unrealistic rosters form like this over the years. Really hope they can patch this. I'm loving the gameplay and a lot of the new features and presentation but things like this can really effect my experience with the title in a negative way.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:55 PM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaterofworlds888
Yea, this is kind of a big deal for me. I'm almost exclusively an offline MyLeague player and I usually just devote all of my time to one team. It's disappointing to see unrealistic rosters form like this over the years. Really hope they can patch this. I'm loving the gameplay and a lot of the new features and presentation but things like this can really effect my experience with the title in a negative way.
The worst thing of all is in my eyes that the say every year the same thing. "We'll make a great improvement for AI-things in MyLeague". Literall every year. And the following edition kept the same issues over and over.
Hope they can fix a few things with a patch.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:52 AM   #14
MVP

BluFu's Arena

OVR: 4

CPU trades are always subjective to me in terms of what's realistic or not for the most part. The big (and should be fixable) issue is CPU positional stacking. When the CPU is stacking up 5 PGs in free agency when they don't have a big man.. it's a clear logic issue. That absolutely needs to be fixed.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:13 AM   #15
Pro

joosegoose's Arena

Close to the theme of this thread, contract amounts have been discussed at length, with the general consensus being that amounts are almost universally low across the board and there are way too many $1-2m deals. That being said, I think/thought I found an additional consequence of these low valuations.

I was looking through free agency for youngish players I could throw a little money at, when I saw:

Spoiler

They...declined his team option? Wait a minute, there are a ton of rookies with declined options on their rookie contracts...do teams really value players that little, where $2-4m isn't worth it? Well not quite...

Spoiler

Uh...yeah. They declined his option, making him a UFA (giving up YEARS of control in the process) only to pursue him in free agency? Honestly there's nothing more to say here.

There are plenty other players like this. Another sort of category of weirdness:

Spoiler

Seems way too high (never thought I'd say that) for an unproven player, right? Well consider that there's no reason he should even be a free agent right now anyways, that's only because his stupid team declined his option only to throw all their money at him.

A different example:

Spoiler

LOL. So many things wrong with this. First of all, those numbers are absurdly low (minimum I'm pretty sure). Second, they're all 1 year contracts for a 26 year old quality role player. Third, they're all THE SAME. Nobody is trying to outbid the others, and it's not like these teams are all capped out. Just a couple thousand dollars at this point could 'outbid' the other teams. Fourth, he's an RFA. Really, that's how you're going to prevent his team from matching? UGH.

Speaking of RFAs, I still don't think they work properly. Sure, as a user we have the option to match when another team signs our player to an offer sheet, but I'm pretty sure CPU teams don't have this basic functionality. I'm have a good feeling an RFA is no different from a UFA as far as they're concerned. Not to mention the fact that the offer sheet/match is instant, no 3 day period where money is tied up until the other team decides to match (kind of like cap holds which don't exist, but I'm much forgiving on these features not being in the game yet until the basic stuff actually works).

Another quick hitter, I hate decisions on team options coming all at once in the offseason, rather than a deadline we have to meet the prior season. It results in almost none of the players that would typically be trade actually available to trade on draft day, because they are 'about to become free agents'. This is a big contributor to draft day trades making no sense, I think.

I really could have gone on and pointed out everything that didn't add up, dissect every signing that didn't make sense. But honestly, so few things went at all like one would expect in the real NBA, it got overwhelming. It's just so bad in the current state; I guess I would start with increasing contracts to their proper amounts and getting rid of the abundance of $1m deals. Even that will have problems though unless teams actually value their cheap rookie contracts though, as teams will eat up their cap space signing these guys in early free agency leaving little to no room to sign the actual free agents.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2016, 09:30 AM   #16
MVP

Gramps91's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosegoose
Close to the theme of this thread, contract amounts have been discussed at length, with the general consensus being that amounts are almost universally low across the board and there are way too many $1-2m deals. That being said, I think/thought I found an additional consequence of these low valuations.

I was looking through free agency for youngish players I could throw a little money at, when I saw:

Spoiler

They...declined his team option? Wait a minute, there are a ton of rookies with declined options on their rookie contracts...do teams really value players that little, where $2-4m isn't worth it? Well not quite...

Spoiler

Uh...yeah. They declined his option, making him a UFA (giving up YEARS of control in the process) only to pursue him in free agency? Honestly there's nothing more to say here.

There are plenty other players like this. Another sort of category of weirdness:

Spoiler

Seems way too high (never thought I'd say that) for an unproven player, right? Well consider that there's no reason he should even be a free agent right now anyways, that's only because his stupid team declined his option only to throw all their money at him.

A different example:

Spoiler

LOL. So many things wrong with this. First of all, those numbers are absurdly low (minimum I'm pretty sure). Second, they're all 1 year contracts for a 26 year old quality role player. Third, they're all THE SAME. Nobody is trying to outbid the others, and it's not like these teams are all capped out. Just a couple thousand dollars at this point could 'outbid' the other teams. Fourth, he's an RFA. Really, that's how you're going to prevent his team from matching? UGH.

Speaking of RFAs, I still don't think they work properly. Sure, as a user we have the option to match when another team signs our player to an offer sheet, but I'm pretty sure CPU teams don't have this basic functionality. I'm have a good feeling an RFA is no different from a UFA as far as they're concerned. Not to mention the fact that the offer sheet/match is instant, no 3 day period where money is tied up until the other team decides to match (kind of like cap holds which don't exist, but I'm much forgiving on these features not being in the game yet until the basic stuff actually works).

Another quick hitter, I hate decisions on team options coming all at once in the offseason, rather than a deadline we have to meet the prior season. It results in almost none of the players that would typically be trade actually available to trade on draft day, because they are 'about to become free agents'. This is a big contributor to draft day trades making no sense, I think.

I really could have gone on and pointed out everything that didn't add up, dissect every signing that didn't make sense. But honestly, so few things went at all like one would expect in the real NBA, it got overwhelming. It's just so bad in the current state; I guess I would start with increasing contracts to their proper amounts and getting rid of the abundance of $1m deals. Even that will have problems though unless teams actually value their cheap rookie contracts though, as teams will eat up their cap space signing these guys in early free agency leaving little to no room to sign the actual free agents.
Wow man, nice job paying attention to this stuff. I probably wouldn't have realized it. Hopefully they can patch some fixes on these things. I'm almost strictly a MyLeague guy and really don't want to have to control all teams.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »