Home

The MESS that is 2K17's help defense... How to fix THREAD

This is a discussion on The MESS that is 2K17's help defense... How to fix THREAD within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2016, 11:11 PM   #17
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: The MESS that is 2K17's help defense... How to fix THREAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insight23
I feel like they stick for a few plays then revert back. I've chosen push the pace in the timeout screen & noticed the change for a very short period of time. It's broken & my changes don't stick, but I still keep ACE off. Seems to prevent the CPU from being the same as any other team. Surprised this wasn't patched when the Superstar/HOF sliders were.
Im sure that ACE setting (the on/off one) only effects your team. The CPU would always be using ACE.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:22 PM   #18
bls
MVP

bls's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Funkhouser
I know, but if you go to the timeout screen you'll see that the adjustments aren't the ones you chose in game.

Don't worry about the time out screen. Just continue to do it in game. On ball is the way to go so far this year. Your defense AI will take care of themselves if you've adjusted to the right settings for who your going up against. You get the offensive player your guarding to pick up his dribble. It's a good chance he's gonna throw an errant pass and your headed the other way.

The right stick is your friend. Moving the right stick when playing on ball has a direct effect on how the offensive player your guarding moves, even when your not too close upon him. Of course players with better ball handling is less effected. But I'm always using the right stick and funneling the player I'm guarding to my bigs. I hardly ever use the block button now. You can get plenty of blocks, strips, contest with your hands up. I've even tapped the ball back out on a rebound with the right stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2016, 11:38 PM   #19
MVP

Insight23's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirkin Dirk
Im sure that ACE setting (the on/off one) only effects your team. The CPU would always be using ACE.

Just realized I worded that all wrong. I meant the user.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:22 AM   #20
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

I think I may have to retract my earlier post; I think Sam Pham may have found the "solution" to the defensive headaches. From the limited test samples, it seems like what Sam Pham cooked up works. Still a trial run for the time being. I still need to test out what happens when I do switch to playing off-ball and on-ball defense.

Played two games (12 minute quarters, hall of fame, broadcast camera, play now games) with Sam Pham's new setting. He didn't mentioned whether or not ACE should be off or on. I turned ACE off. With ACE (ON), the CPU sometimes who automatically change my matchups (i.e. Durant on Tony Parker, etc), which sometimes would confuse me on who I was suppose to be guarding (since I was playing point guard). Honestly, it wasn't that bad with ACE (ON) using Sam Pham's new setting (still need to give ACE (ON) a full game test run though).

I purposely controlled the point guard position and let the game handle all my other teammates off-ball coverages. Wanted to see if my teammates would play absurd defense. Fortunately, I didn't see any questionable tactics.

(Note: I am one of those claiming the game pre-Sam Pham settings had questionable defense, where players would purposely run away leaving their man wide open for shots, and simply not pick up their assignment. I had the impression the game was simply more challenging because it was absolutely necessary to play both on-ball and off-ball defense, which in hindsight, was NOT because of a smarter CPU offense in a manner of speaking. It was simply because my offline hall of fame teammates were playing questionable sketchy defense.

Pre-Sam Pham settings, I needed to control off-ball defense because my teammates were simply playing questionable elementary defense if you would even call it that. The implementation of Sam Pham's setting no longer requires me to monitor any of my teammates on the floor. I could if I wanted to, but the two games I played back to back didn't require me to touch my off-ball defenders.

NBA2k17 with Sam Pham's new defensive settings now makes the game playable and pushes the fun factor to a 15/10. Now, I can legitimately start a MyLeague file without having to wait for a defensive patch.

Still a trial period, but Sam Pham seems to have resolved the defensive concerns.

I still need to test out what happens when I do switch to playing off-ball defense and on-ball defense.

However, this doesn't resolve some of the questionable opposition CPU defense. It happens infrequently but it does happen with the CPU.

Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 09-25-2016 at 05:32 AM.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:03 AM   #21
MVP

OVR: 15

WOW! These settings WORK! Someone please get this video over to a developer. Hopfeully they can hard code these settings in for CPU controlled teams (and maybe make them default for everyone, since most people who play this game are not on OS or watch 2K youtube vids)

I was about ready to put this game down, but with these settings the AI controlled defenders play phenomenally well. This shows the developers do have the system in place for great defense. They just have their settings out of whack and its causing the AI to go haywire..

For those that did not watch the video, see below for step by step..

Beginning of the game go into Gameplan- Defensive settings..

1. Make all adjustments on the first screen so it applies to everyone.
2. Switch Rules- Use "Switch All".. *Do not leave on AUTO* (This is what is causing the big men and other defenders to just wander off from their man)
3. Pre-Rotate- Switch to "NO (All)"
4. Screen Help Rules- "Help and No Rotation (All)"
5. Help Rules- "Help (All)

Now here is the second step and this is key! Change the individual settings for all opposing team Centers to what you see below..

1. Pre-Rotate- Yes
2. Screen Help Rules- Auto

Boom! Try this and watch how much better your team AI plays. Its literally night and day. Thank you Sam Pham!

Once again, someone please send this to the developers. These changes need to be hard coded in the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2016, 08:08 AM   #22
72-10

MarkWilliam's Arena

I found this to be of tremendous help.

I know what certain basketball terms mean, but how they translate in game is the main thing for me. So it was good to watch and then try some of this stuff.

Particularly the part where he has Davis coming over and helping, pre-rotating etc.

Great stuff.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:11 AM   #23
72-10

MarkWilliam's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
WOW! These settings WORK! Someone please get this video over to a developer. Hopfeully they can hard code these settings in for CPU controlled teams (and maybe make them default for everyone, since most people who play this game are not on OS or watch 2K youtube vids)

I was about ready to put this game down, but with these settings the AI controlled defenders play phenomenally well. This shows the developers do have the system in place for great defense. They just have their settings out of whack and its causing the AI to go haywire..

For those that did not watch the video, see below for step by step..

Beginning of the game go into Gameplan- Defensive settings..

1. Make all adjustments on the first screen so it applies to everyone.
2. Switch Rules- Use "Switch All".. *Do not leave on AUTO* (This is what is causing the big men and other defenders to just wander off from their man)
3. Pre-Rotate- Switch to "NO (All)"
4. Screen Help Rules- "Help and No Rotation (All)"
5. Help Rules- "Help (All)

Now here is the second step and this is key! Change the individual settings for all opposing team Centers to what you see below..

1. Pre-Rotate- Yes
2. Screen Help Rules- Auto

Boom! Try this and watch how much better your team AI plays. Its literally night and day. Thank you Sam Pham!

Once again, someone please send this to the developers. These changes need to be hard coded in the game.
Thanks for this post man! Nice to have it in writing aswell. Handy.

(me copy/pasting into notepad haha)
Old 09-25-2016, 08:51 AM   #24
Rookie

Staffan54's Arena

OVR: 0

Sam, do you have ACE off?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »