Home

NBA 2K17 - The Grind

This is a discussion on NBA 2K17 - The Grind within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-12-2016, 05:22 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: NBA 2K17 - The Grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernte
what? no one cares about the park. mycareer is a grind, even if you don't set one foot into the park.
I play walk on pro am and team pro am, i loved park in 16 but hate it in 17

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2016, 05:23 PM   #18
Banned

SirGaryColeman's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxflier
I don't mind the grind at all. No one is forcing you to do it, you can head out to the park without badges. But if you want to have a better player, you should have to put in some work for it IMO.
Nobody is forcing us to do it, but it still sucks.

Character progression can be fun if you have an imagination about it... especially in a sports game where there's tons of fun to be had.

It makes me think that they need a separate Dev team to develop creative ideas.

My best comparison is a game like Zelda. You gotta earn all kinds of junk, but its all fun and enjoyable - its not "hit a Training Dummy with your sword 5,000 times to earn the ability to swing swords" or else nobody would play that game.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:24 PM   #19
Banned

Quote:
I don't mind the grind at all. No one is forcing you to do it, you can head out to the park without badges. But if you want to have a better player, you should have to put in some work for it IMO.
Not everyone has time to do vertical jumps for 1000 times when it's not worth it. Your character is already a bum so more upgrades help, but it process to get them is excruciating.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:29 PM   #20
Banned

SirGaryColeman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablexdeadpool
MLB the Show has the best career mode. There is no grind. No cheesy story. No time sucking cut scenes and the gameplay is actually good.
How does MLB work? I haven't played it, but can 2k steal it?

I feel like the least creative, but easiest fix is this:

You earn Experience Points just by playing... the same way you earn VC. Go play however you want (Play Now, MyPark, Offline, etc.) and you earn EXP.

Then, you spend this EXP on anything you want, INCLUDING on your MyPlayer and all of his attributes and badges.

This way, I can go play park all day and earn 5,000 EXP that I dump into my Dunking (or whatever it is I am trying to earn).

And hell, put the damn EXP for sale - I don't care. Let some guy spend $100 on EXP and get amazing in 5 minutes - I don't care. Just don't make me grind anymore.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:37 PM   #21
Rookie

Quote:
Work?

This is a game...it is supposed to be fun...

What is fun about averaging 50 assists a game to get HOF Dimer?

What is fun about run back and forth at the 3 point line and throwing the ball away just to get Defensive Stopper and Chasedown Blocker?

A lot of this game is just unnatural grinding...

It's not even powerleveling...it is straight miserable grinding.

If 2k can make the game EXP based then yeah, it might be fun.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-12-2016, 05:41 PM   #22
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGaryColeman
How does MLB work? I haven't played it, but can 2k steal it?

I feel like the least creative, but easiest fix is this:

You earn Experience Points just by playing... the same way you earn VC. Go play however you want (Play Now, MyPark, Offline, etc.) and you earn EXP.

Then, you spend this EXP on anything you want, INCLUDING on your MyPlayer and all of his attributes and badges.

This way, I can go play park all day and earn 5,000 EXP that I dump into my Dunking (or whatever it is I am trying to earn).

And hell, put the damn EXP for sale - I don't care. Let some guy spend $100 on EXP and get amazing in 5 minutes - I don't care. Just don't make me grind anymore.
MLB the Show you get EXP in the game and then you have a chance to get extra EXP through drills that teach you how to play the game.

First you go through the minor leagues and there you play against subpar competition and you attain EXP...

Get a high enough overrall, you go into the majors.

Then your skills can decline if you don't put EXP into it.

2K used to be like that...until VC and 2K got greedy and now you have MyCareer as a massive time sink.

MLB the Show has an amazing career mode.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:45 PM   #23
Banned

SirGaryColeman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablexdeadpool
MLB the Show you get EXP in the game and then you have a chance to get extra EXP through drills that teach you how to play the game.

First you go through the minor leagues and there you play against subpar competition and you attain EXP...

Get a high enough overrall, you go into the majors.

Then your skills can decline if you don't put EXP into it.

2K used to be like that...until VC and 2K got greedy and now you have MyCareer as a massive time sink.

MLB the Show has an amazing career mode.
That sounds nice and fun.

And I think the greed (vc) is the problem, but if they make its so you can pay $$ for EXP, they can still make money (probably even more).

Can you earn EXP online too? Because that would be the major benefit of EXP - I could just only play Park or Pro-Am (my 2 favorite modes) and build my character that way.

I wouldn't even mind some offline stuff, but 5,000 box jumps (with tons of loading in between) ain't my idea of a fun game.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:52 PM   #24
MVP

ph33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGaryColeman
I'm at the point where I'm willing to PAY real Money to get me out of the grind.

Can I just pay $60 and get a finished character with full badges? The badges take forevvverrr and all those little +1 things I've still never gotten around to doing.

Instead of paying for just VC, lemme buy the dude lol

I don't wanna grind with chores. I'll "grind" learning the controls and the moves, I'll "grind" trying to get Ws in ProAm or Park, but I really hate the "do this really boring thing 1,000 times to earn X" system.
This right here. Not only does maxing out a player cost a ridiculous amount of money on top of the game, you have to spend HOURS doing mindless drills that I do not feel like helps people get engaged into basketball properly. I disagree the "You don't have to do it" argument because that doesn't address the fact that what you do to grind is a huge waste of time. And I'm not a fan of making you only earn badges from higher difficulty; if I just want to play online, I don't want to have to spend a bunch of time in a separate mode when I should be grinding for rep or Pro-AM wins, whatever your flavor is.

Road to the Show is really great but that doesn't let you take your player online.

I think a great model to follow would be FIFA Pro Clubs:
1. You can change your player's height and weight to however you want. Whatever you choose affects your base physical attributes (Speed, Strength, Agility, etc.)
2. You can also pick a position and player type in that same menu, and this changes your base skilled attributes. Similar to archetypes. But the difference is, you increase your player's skilled attributes by playing online. So if I attempted lots of short passes, he gets a small boost in this, and if I'm not mistaken there's a cap on those ratings eventually but I'm not sure. So you won't have an all-99 player just because you played many different positions.
3. In FIFA, I think you get 24 "skill points" to choose from, and this gives you your boost. It's essentially the equivalent of a 2k badge. But, some skills cost more than others, such as increasing speed/stamina/ball control. Others like "Giant Throw in" cost less. In 2k, skills like dimer and defensive stopper could cost more points than something like flashy passer. You do have to sort of grind to eventually earn all skill points, but your created player is always good enough to compete online.

I like this system because I'm sure there's a ton of us who have played the game for a bit now and have thought to ourselves "I wish I made my player a little differently" We can't do it because of the time and money we already invested, but having it be like FIFA would allow us to find our most comfortable build rather than guess and regret.

For example if I like being a light and fast rim protector I can do that, or if I end up not feeling it, I can be more of the bruising kind if I feel like playing that way. Or if I want to be more of a post up guard one game and then be a floor spacer the next. Maybe you find that 220 feels better than 210 for your style, and you can change it.

Last edited by ph33; 12-12-2016 at 05:55 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »