Home

NBA 2K17 - The Grind

This is a discussion on NBA 2K17 - The Grind within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-13-2016, 10:09 AM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K17 - The Grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGaryColeman
We should tweet them links to threads like these. I feel like they mostly listen to twitter (they used twitter votes to decide slider changes).
i'm not using twitter, but if someone who does would do it and there's a chance that they would pay attention, then why not?
Old 12-13-2016, 01:37 PM   #34
MVP

ph33's Arena

I don't think it's been mentioned, but another thing that makes the grind worse is that every year the game is released, everything is an UNKNOWN. We don't know how many times we have to do something to get a badge. We don't know if we're doing the right thing to get the badge. We don't know if there's a minimum attribute requirement or a minimum game requirement to get such badge.

Hell, knowing how practice gyms worked and how team practices worked was something that was left to the community to figure out. Didn't figure out till weeks later that you could upgrade free throws and offensive consistency. And that you didn't have to do drills, and that it was good to do all weight room drills in one sitting. I've ended up wasting a lot of time doing a practices not realizing the things I could have done since the beginning.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:45 PM   #35
Pro

The grind is super real this year but I could've swore people on this forum were complaining about other players getting to 99 overall too quickly in previous 2k's. 2k actually makes you grind for once and people still complain. We go back and fourth every year lol.

The main thing that killed it for me this year was the inability to skip cut scenes. The HOF badges were definitely a grind too. I hope next year the requirements to obtain certain badges aren't that high.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2016, 05:22 PM   #36
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korrupted
The grind is super real this year but I could've swore people on this forum were complaining about other players getting to 99 overall too quickly in previous 2k's. 2k actually makes you grind for once and people still complain. We go back and fourth every year lol.

The main thing that killed it for me this year was the inability to skip cut scenes. The HOF badges were definitely a grind too. I hope next year the requirements to obtain certain badges aren't that high.
I can live with the cutscenes, even though they were painful at times, but going to practice, rejecting the offer of an activity, then going barrel jump, weights, squats, vertical, agility, in the hope of getting a +1 in stamina, then waiting for 50 seconds whilst the gatorade game takes place for a +1 reaction time, and then doing that X3 so I can get my hands rating up for my slasher. My friend, that is the video game equivalent of purgatory. If I could go back in time and tell my young self that in the future, video games would be amazing, the graphics unimaginable, and the technology beyond comprehension; yet I'd spend a good portion of my gaming time at the end of 2016, trying to upgrade my player by doing exactly just that, I'd never have believed it!

I never understood that too quick to 99 complaint that started in 2k14. You could upgrade your player quickly with all the vc you could earn, I had mine up to a good level pretty quickly in that game, then as soon as I got through my first season, i funded multiple careers by playing only key games in my main career on HoF. Then 2k15 added the 7 games to upgrade past a certain level, then 16, added in the first practice grind for attributes and attribute boosts; but man, they've taken it to a whole other level this year.

I genuinely do think, and rightly so, that this is the last year that career and park/pro-am will be linked, so I expect a much more reasoned approach next year. career guys don't want anything to do with park to reach your full potential in career, and park guys don't want to repeat the same actions thousands of times on rookie to, HoF-badge-out their players, I only have 2 saves this year, a slasher and a sharpshooter that I only use for career. I'd love to try an olajuwon type of player, and I'd really love to try out a shot creator, but no way in hell am I doing those practices again.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:31 PM   #37
Pro

nddot's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablexdeadpool
I think I actually hate myself for even getting this game.

I just like basketball.

All I wanna do is play basketball with a created player against other created players.

2K ruined that for me, because you have to GRIND.

And the grind isn't even fun or enjoyable. It's insanity inducing.

If I wanted to torture someone, I would make them grind for badges on MyCareer 24/7.

Like it's a sports game...I don't need a story...I don't need to watch my guy work out...I just wanna play the damn game.

If I wanted a story and all of that, I would play Final Fantasy.

MLB the Show has the best career mode. There is no grind. No cheesy story. No time sucking cut scenes and the gameplay is actually good.

2K on the other hand, you grind, you have a cheesy story, you have a massive time sink with cut scenes and the computer AI and the computer coach sucks.

yep
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablexdeadpool
Work?

This is a game...it is supposed to be fun...

What is fun about averaging 50 assists a game to get HOF Dimer?

What is fun about run back and forth at the 3 point line and throwing the ball away just to get Defensive Stopper and Chasedown Blocker?

A lot of this game is just unnatural grinding...

It's not even powerleveling...it is straight miserable grinding.

If 2k can make the game EXP based then yeah, it might be fun.

and this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korrupted

nah breh. im not against "grinding" but the way it is set up in this game, its way too much of a hassle and way too boring
Old 12-14-2016, 04:34 AM   #38
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nddot
yep
nah breh. im not against "grinding" but the way it is set up in this game, its way too much of a hassle and way too boring

I am totally against grinding. It is one of the worst gameplay mechanics in video games. It is not fun. It is not enjoyable. It is not rewarding.

I play games to relax and have fun...not work.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:58 AM   #39
Pro

NoLeafClover's Arena

The grind was put in place to frustrate people into buying VC, it's not really debatable at this point.

The last couple of years it's been that way, but this year it's more blatant than ever.

I feel bad for the teenagers on low incomes who are forced to grind the whole time... Main reason I have only made 1 character in MyCareer this year, it's just completely unfun when you spend more time in a basketball game not playing than playing basketball.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:39 PM   #40
MVP

HowDareI's Arena

I just find it funny how the "best" players you meet online, meaning the ones who abuse every "cheese" move you've encountered, have never played on Hall of Fame.

These Park stars and guys on high-ranked Pro-Am teams bought VC and "grinded" through Rookie-leveled My Career for badges just to go straight online and abuse screens and speed boosting and whatever it is people do now lol.

But I hate the grind because it allows behavior like this; borderline encourages it. If, like some have said, you could only get high-level badges by playing on Hall of Fame difficulty maybe we'd have better balance and competition online.

I always play on higher difficulties because, 1) I need the VC, and 2) it's, you know, actually a challenge. It's not repetitive: throw up 50 three's, score 100 points and have a quadruple double.

I mean I understand why people do it: you wanna be competitive you have to. But some of these guys who have no actual understanding of the fundamentals of basketball, who's games resemble stuff you used to do on NBA Street...it's annoying it's successful because they aren't even playing the game they're just gaming it.

I just think it would be funny if these guys who already had 100+ park games played and were 90+ overalls with 20 badges in the first week actually had to ....well idk....show they had some skill at the game before they had these OP players.

Basically what I'm getting at is there's absolutely ZERO reward for those of us who try and play through My Career the traditional way. But tbh there never was....

2K10 and 11 you had a huge grind...your guy was abysmal to start. But people just modded 7'11 pg's to be 99 overall. So to be fair the mode was founded on unpunished shortcuts.

Maybe My Career, My Player, was never meant to be fair. lol

-Allen Iverson

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »