Home

NBA 2K17 - The Grind

This is a discussion on NBA 2K17 - The Grind within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-11-2016, 02:38 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
NBA 2K17 - The Grind

I'm almost 70 games into mycareer and everything (besides the actual basketball part) about this game feels like a horrendous grind (now that i think about it, even the cut scenes within the games are kind of a grind, since you cannot skip them initially and you keep on hammering the x button...). you grind for vc, you grind for upgrades, you grind for these skills that you cannot improve via upgrades, but only via practices...

who at 2k believed that it would be a good idea to have the players doing the same, boring, repetitive stuff over and over and over and... again? it's okay in the beginning, like the first 3 or 4 times. then you get bored of it. and then you have these stupid gameplay/design decisions, which make the grind even more annoying. e.g. when you attend a practice, you usually want to hurry directly to the vertical drill, cos that's the quickest way of getting done with it, right?. but you can't, cos you have to wait till you are being asked to participate in some other training with your team mates and to decline the request. and when you are done, the loading screen takes ages to get you back to your gym, where your guy takes ages to come in and drop his bag. and only then you can start the next practice grind session.

i just hope that for 2k18 they come up with something more motivating. something that let's you focus on the actual basketball part. instead of 70 games into my career, i would probably be done with my first season + playoffs if it wouldn't be for these grinding sessions.

Last edited by Bernte; 12-11-2016 at 04:41 PM. Reason: backbag
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-11-2016, 04:38 PM   #2
MVP

redsfan4life's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: NBA 2K17 - The Grind

The practice/loading screens are absolutely BRUTAL. That bag man...the amount of time I've watched MyPlayer pick up/drop that bag is ridiculous.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:24 PM   #3
Rookie

With any other XP based game, I feel like I would be much further along than I am in 2k.

To have to go to so many practices to get an attribute upgrade is insane. It would be better if you could earn attribute upgrades after a certain number of games played. That way, you could grind for badges and get upgrades at the same time. At times, it feels like a vertical jump simulator with some basketball mixed in.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:03 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsfan4life
The practice/loading screens are absolutely BRUTAL. That bag man...the amount of time I've watched MyPlayer pick up/drop that bag is ridiculous.
If you are behind the pool table or bar when you go to practice / game you skip the pickup the bag cutscene..... it's not a huge time saver but (IMHO) it is at least a sanity saver.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:16 PM   #5
Rookie

I think I actually hate myself for even getting this game.

I just like basketball.

All I wanna do is play basketball with a created player against other created players.

2K ruined that for me, because you have to GRIND.

And the grind isn't even fun or enjoyable. It's insanity inducing.

If I wanted to torture someone, I would make them grind for badges on MyCareer 24/7.

Like it's a sports game...I don't need a story...I don't need to watch my guy work out...I just wanna play the damn game.

If I wanted a story and all of that, I would play Final Fantasy.

MLB the Show has the best career mode. There is no grind. No cheesy story. No time sucking cut scenes and the gameplay is actually good.

2K on the other hand, you grind, you have a cheesy story, you have a massive time sink with cut scenes and the computer AI and the computer coach sucks.

Last edited by cablexdeadpool; 12-11-2016 at 11:19 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-12-2016, 02:23 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 8

I don't mind the grind its fun to me

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2016, 02:29 PM   #7
MVP

redsfan4life's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2001
I don't mind the grind its fun to me

As someone who's got HOF dimer on a SF and PG I'll just say this...

Agree to disagree.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:38 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 8

Ok

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »