Home

Are secondary archetypes the way to go in 2k18?

This is a discussion on Are secondary archetypes the way to go in 2k18? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-23-2017, 01:57 PM   #9
MVP

ph33's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Are secondary archetypes the way to go in 2k18?

I'm in favor of any system that doesn't require me to spend 25+ hours playing an offline mode, including many hours spent loading the same repetitive "practice" and "drills", so I can be on a similar playing field to the rest of the competition when I go online
Old 01-23-2017, 02:34 PM   #10
MVP

Hustle Westbrook's Arena

Give me 2K16s Inside, Outside, Balanced system and stop trying to force me into this eSports crap.

I don't take my MyPlayer online so let me enjoy my player however I see fit.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:39 PM   #11
All Star

turty11's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtim301
So everybody can just max out their stats? Have 7'3 big men with Kyrie handles and Zach Levine bounce huh? Yeah sounds fun
I thought having stat/animation limits due to position was obvious...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2017, 03:41 PM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turty11
I thought having stat/animation limits due to position was obvious...
You just described your person from last year having max stats in 4 categories tho, I dont see how thats competitive or fun if I can run around with a God mode player. Its fine how it is, your weaknesses get exposed and you have to actually rely on your teammates

Edit: What 7'3 center in the game has maxed out layups and dunks, defense, and rebounding and still has room to grow?

Last edited by Bigtim301; 01-23-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:16 PM   #13
MVP

VAWereWolf65's Arena

Quote:
You just described your person from last year having max stats in 4 categories tho, I dont see how thats competitive or fun if I can run around with a God mode player. Its fine how it is, your weaknesses get exposed and you have to actually rely on your teammates

Edit: What 7'3 center in the game has maxed out layups and dunks, defense, and rebounding and still has room to grow?

you have no idea how much VC and player upgrades i needed to grind for that. Like i said, it wasn't easy. For people who are willing to put in the work, they should be rewarded with a good player.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:43 PM   #14
All Star

turty11's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:

That was me lol. And it's called developing a post game or jump shot
Old 01-23-2017, 04:49 PM   #15
Banned

SirGaryColeman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAWereWolf65
I don't see what was so bad about how it was in 2k16. If you put in the time and the effort, you should be able to max out more than one category. Like my 7'3" center had maxed out layups and dunks, defense, and rebounding. He was a beast but it's not like it was an easy thing to achieve. It still requires a lot of hard work and grinding.
Everyone was a 7'3" god... was really stupid.

Why would you even make your guy shorter than 7'3" when they can do all that? Also, you're not really putting in any more effort than anyone else that is grinding. Everyone has to grind it out.

I like the idea of Archetypes, but it needs more work. Sports games are tricky because the Physical aspect of sports doesn't exist in a video game. You don't get tired or have to build muscle mass - you're just holding a controller.... the trick is figuring out a way to let people make 7'3", but also balance it out so there's still a reason to make a 6'0" dude.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2017, 05:42 PM   #16
Rookie

I think they just need to tweak the current system and ADD A PLAYER COMPARISON of who the archetype is modeled after.

For example, they could have Post Player 1 and Post Player 2 where one would be KAT and the other Demarcus Cousins and tweak the caps a bit depending on the model. Online, it would just show "Post Player" and that would leave your defender guessing as to what your strengths and weaknesses are.

Another example using the OP's player is Stretch Big 1 and Stretch Big 2 (Dirk vs Serge Ibaka...arguably). One has a boost in shooting and the other has a boost in defense. I guess this would also mean that although you choose a stretch big, it doesn't necessarily mean your shooting will max out.

I realize this is a new idea for 2K and there is definitely room for improvement. My main gripe about the current system is that it doesn't duplicate a lot of the NBA's premiere players and that's who I want to model my player after.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »