Home

Test: Dribble Penetration

This is a discussion on Test: Dribble Penetration within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-19-2017, 11:00 PM   #9
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Test: Dribble Penetration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir
Yeah I tried that in this clip--and promptly got walked to the basket. Rating obviously plays a HUGE role (Derozan is a 92, Redick a 79) but this is much of what you're seeing across the board. It was no different when I switched Covington on him, save 2-3 poke-away steals.

I’d like to test it out a bit myself. That clip it looked like he got the first step, so the hip riding made sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 09-19-2017, 11:17 PM   #10
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

1. Add more charges.

2. Allow more reachins to knock the ball loose on weak handlers.

3. Allow more lost dribble animations on weak handlers.

4. LEAVE EVERYTHING ELSE ALONE

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Old 09-19-2017, 11:54 PM   #11
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
1. Add more charges.

2. Allow more reachins to knock the ball loose on weak handlers.

3. Allow more lost dribble animations on weak handlers.

4. LEAVE EVERYTHING ELSE ALONE
This Basically. No one's saying change what makes it GREAT--because my God the game flows so well...add some tweaks that make Dribble Penetration risk/reward so guys aren't turboing into defenders and being rewarded for it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2017, 01:39 AM   #12
Rookie

Please DO NOT change dribble penetration.

Dribble penetration was a BIG issue in 2k17 that I wanted changed. You kept on being cut off by the CPU unreasonably. When the CPU got even an arm in front of you, and you dribbled into the arm (not the CPU's set defensive stance and body), you got blocked off.

2k18 has absolutely fine dribble penetration.

There is NO need to change charges or reach-ins and ESPECIALLY no need to change the CPU's ability to cut you off.

IF you want changes, just tweak up lateral quickness for the CPU. I find it very fair, as the CPU cuts me off as much as I cut them off.

I disagree with this thread entirely.

EDIT: Take a look at all the 2k17 slider threads. Most (if not all) the major reputable slider makers turned down body-up sensitivity for the purpose of increasing (i.e. promoting) dribble penetration because it was difficult to do in 2k17.

Now that 2k18 has allowed us more dribble penetration, I am extremely thankful to 2k for that. Please do not change it when it has been an improvement on 2k17.

I don't want to go back to the situation in 2k17 when the body-up sensitivity slider had to be at 0 to make the game enjoyable. 2k18 is making steps in the right direction, in my opinion, in terms of gameplay.

Last edited by fakeassc; 09-20-2017 at 01:47 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:05 AM   #13
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakeassc
IF you want changes, just tweak up lateral quickness for the CPU. I find it very fair, as the CPU cuts me off as much as I cut them off.
I have the CPU's On-Ball Defense, Defensive Awareness, and Lateral Quickness all at 75 (playing on sliders customized from Hall of Fame preset), and I still dust the CPU's defender almost at will, even against elite perimeter stoppers like Kawhi and Roberson. Kawhi makes it a little tougher, but he's the only one I've noticed a difference against.

What did you set your Lateral Quickness to for the CPU?
Old 09-20-2017, 05:20 AM   #14
MVP

Thetruth9012's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir
I'm more focused on him getting into the lane by turboing into the defender because Demarcus Cousins WON'T MISS those shots, and WILL DRAW those fouls, feel me? And believe me...I support you having fun with the game. I think mismatches are important too...but systems that lack a risk and reward will be broken/spammed by players.
Last year patches showed that this kind of changes need to be worked in next year titles , i dont think they ready for the changes you suggested so the patch probably would be so aid fix which we dont want.

Bigs can cover to much ground on defense(they are too fast)

Late contest on laups matter too much.

Random blocks doing pumpfakes.

Leaning shots for guys who have catch and shoot badge should be removed.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:56 AM   #15
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

First, I agree that this is the next logical step...not sure if it's possible this year.

but this is why its really important that 2k doesnt nerf the live ball....2k has done a good job of making users pay for dribbling into crowds this year...and it's a great way to combat this....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 09-20-2017 at 06:01 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2017, 05:59 AM   #16
Pro

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakeassc
Please DO NOT change dribble penetration.

Dribble penetration was a BIG issue in 2k17 that I wanted changed. You kept on being cut off by the CPU unreasonably. When the CPU got even an arm in front of you, and you dribbled into the arm (not the CPU's set defensive stance and body), you got blocked off.

2k18 has absolutely fine dribble penetration.

There is NO need to change charges or reach-ins and ESPECIALLY no need to change the CPU's ability to cut you off.

I disagree with this thread entirely.

EDIT: Take a look at all the 2k17 slider threads. Most (if not all) the major reputable slider makers turned down body-up sensitivity for the purpose of increasing (i.e. promoting) dribble penetration because it was difficult to do in 2k17.

Now that 2k18 has allowed us more dribble penetration, I am extremely thankful to 2k for that. Please do not change it when it has been an improvement on 2k17.

I don't want to go back to the situation in 2k17 when the body-up sensitivity slider had to be at 0 to make the game enjoyable. 2k18 is making steps in the right direction, in my opinion, in terms of gameplay.
I agree that I like where the game is at currently. More free-flowing. The NBA is a physical game and while I agree players should not be barreling into defenders all the time it happens more often than not in the NBA.

2k has proven to be very heavy-handed when assessing things like this and I would rather it stay the way it is than to have a patch revert back to the stonewalling and baby oil turnovers... A very slippery slope.

This is as close to as perfect as we have had to a playable basketball game out of the box maybe ever? And people want to start chiseling at things. Maybe they can tune a slider but DO NOT GO INTO THE GAME CODE AND START CHANGING STUFF.

I dont want a tweak to occur where every time somebody breaths on someone they lose the ball or a charge occurs. We have seen how this plays out before. I like the current system and there should be more of a fine line than a broad brush.

Last edited by rhein77; 09-20-2017 at 07:41 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »