Home

How I would 'fix' badges in 2k19

This is a discussion on How I would 'fix' badges in 2k19 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-15-2018, 06:38 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 33
Re: How I would 'fix' badges in 2k19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayOTT
We already had Offensive/Defensive Rebound attributes. This is far from the only example but is the most blatant one. And to answer the earlier post...

My counter-argument is B Fresh. If they thought she was a good idea, I'd say they're capable of adding other pointless stuff in and thinking that's good too. Like badges that do the same thing as attributes but give the illusion of depth.

I'm sorry, I don't want to be overly critical of the development team, because I know it's not their fault 2k18 has gone down as the worst 2k ever in the eyes of many. But in badges I see an idea that somehow got mutated into 'arcade' power-ups rather than the situational boosts they were claimed to be when introduced. I guess this problem has always existed though (again, Dimer seems like a gimmick).
Nah, hustle rebounder badge is as it is, the only way to make small yet incredibly great rebounders better than other great but taller rebounders, think of Rodman and Barkley (vs) Drummond or Howard.

If there were no badges, the last 2 would get consistently more rebounds than the first 2.

I like badges, but, as ratings do, they need to properly be given in order to cause the effect wanted.

All this for offline purposes ... for online, IMHO, there should be no HOF badges or very tight restrictions to handle it, like considering height, speed, defensive and shooting ratings as caps to be able to achieve them.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:38 AM   #18
MVP

howardphillips214's Arena

OVR: 0

I'm sorry, but as someone who has played at least 6 different wing slashers in the park and pro am (highest posterizer I've ever had was gold even on my pure) the dunking on this game is severely lacking. I mean there's no end to how many times I've felt cheated playing those characters. They're almost laughable this year. Unless you're a tweener (6'10) SF or PF with HOF posterizer you're not getting very many contacts with a 99 in almost every finishing category. If you're not a wing with a 3 in pro am you're not finishing. Period. They will sag and leave their man and have the recovery to get backs home in shooters. The only real clean looks at the basket are when you're in transition or if you have a NICE pick and pop action with the 4 or 5 to bring one big out of the paint. Any nerfing to finishing characters will kill them entirely. My pure slasher 6'6 is an animal. I love him. And if I ever get him to HOF posterizer/relentless and he makes my every dream come true and be the Jordan I always wanted, I know I'm going to get square and triangle spammed and doubled and ran into and triple teamed because no one wants to be in a highlight clip. The problem with that is, I'm paying this game and grinding and I'm guarding sharps with HOF everything because they throw prayers all day err day I WANNA BOOOOIOOM. give me more badges. Give me better defense. Give me better animations. Stop rewarding spamming, start rewarding back door cuts and alley oops. Start bringing back the athleticism. I can't make a giannis but rookie Jordan with no 3 gets hoed SOOOOOI much compared to sharps. Make the game fun again. Not cartoon. Fun. I can't make Westbrook. Hell, Westbrook doesn't play like Westbrook on TV. Jordan with HOF every finishing badge can be stopped on this game. It's wrong. Consolidation is wrong, expansion, diversity is key.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:35 PM   #19
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

[howardphillips214] you're the first in a long time I have heard complain that the Slasher is not effective enough.

About 30 to 60 days back, there was a list of complaints from builds that "weren't finishing like they should." It was related to dunking tendencies and Mike Wang rolled out an update on September 20th that helped to alleviate some of this trouble.

Most were fixed after that fixed but anybody that made a new build after that date basically was getting a player with improved dunking tendencies.

I say all this to question if maybe you made your Slasher build before September 20th? It was also PG builds who suffered the most with the lack if dunking tendencies.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2018, 05:38 PM   #20
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaacc03
Nah, hustle rebounder badge is as it is, the only way to make small yet incredibly great rebounders better than other great but taller rebounders
Again, isn't that supposed to be the point of having an offensive and defensive rebounding attribute? They should take the badge out, boost the effect of the attributes if they have to, and rework the ratings they give out in rebounds based on how many boards players get per/36 relative to other players in their height range.

That's my argument. There's so many examples of a badge and an attribute for essentially the same things that it feels like faux complexity for complexities sake.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:41 PM   #21
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzsomehanz
[howardphillips214] you're the first in a long time I have heard complain that the Slasher is not effective enough.

About 30 to 60 days back, there was a list of complaints from builds that "weren't finishing like they should." It was related to dunking tendencies and Mike Wang rolled out an update on September 20th that helped to alleviate some of this trouble.

Most were fixed after that fixed but anybody that made a new build after that date basically was getting a player with improved dunking tendencies.

I say all this to question if maybe you made your Slasher build before September 20th? It was also PG builds who suffered the most with the lack if dunking tendencies.

The layup and dunk packages equipped can make a huge difference to how often contact dunks trigger. I've been experimenting with my 6'11 Two Way Athletic Finisher and found that contact dunks trigger more often when having the Long Athlete layup package instead of the default smalls equipped. I only use the Under Basket Regular and the Darryl Dawkins dunk package, its probably the most athletic dunk packages avaible for bigmen and SF's can get it as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2018, 08:58 PM   #22
MVP

Quote:

Gold posterizer doesn't trigger the animations as much as I'd like. But even then when the contact animation does trigger people can square mash and triangle mash to pull you out of it. Or help will come and they'll smack you from behind. Or good forbid a **** back animation triggers and they smack you on the way down.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:20 PM   #23
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardphillips214
Gold posterizer doesn't trigger the animations as much as I'd like. But even then when the contact animation does trigger people can square mash and triangle mash to pull you out of it. Or help will come and they'll smack you from behind. Or good forbid a **** back animation triggers and they smack you on the way down.
Interrupting dunks is popular in 17 but not 18. Posterizing is much more dependable in 18. I get it though, you're not having a solid experience with your build. I can't argue your position on the experience.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:04 PM   #24
MVP

Quote:
Interrupting dunks is popular in 17 but not 18. Posterizing is much more dependable in 18. I get it though, you're not having a solid experience with your build. I can't argue your position on the experience.

I mean, when it works it's awesome. But I can get some video for you if you need clarification to what I'm talking about.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »