Home

How to prevent being punished for using the post?

This is a discussion on How to prevent being punished for using the post? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-31-2018, 07:08 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: How to prevent being punished for using the post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
You can't have that. What happens is the users just keeps trying to make these single out comes? It's not about the fouls here. It's the fact that the user focus becomes getting a foul. You might have seen my video from the last thread from 2k16 where the user keeps taking Rondo into the paint. Backing down Curry trying to get me to jump. Over and over for 3 possessions. It's not sound game play if it's automatic.

That's what I said. And have been trying to say for a few threads now. The best part is he's doing this without badges!

The post up game is my baby. It's been my baby since the beginning. I remember posting a video showing all 4 post moves from 2k10 with KG lol. That's when we had Reel Maker. Made things so easy for me lol.

Smak, have you looked into using post up jab steps?

We are going into competitive gaming. All they ask you is to create space.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Then the offensive player will keep wasting possessions trying to do that stupid pumpfake while the defender stands there with his hands up, looking at the offensive player like he’s an idiot.

People did it in 2k16 because they KNEW that the game would eventually take over the defender and make them jump with no user input. Otherwise, they’d either rack up 3-second calls, or stagnate their offense. Period. I’m not trying to hear any other excuse as to why a defender constantly leaving his feet on punpfakes isn’t smacked with foul after foul.

But I guess that, to some of you, the defender should just be able to popcorn jump in the paint freely, and kick the ball out of your hands, fall all on your player, get rewarded with blocks/steals on OBVIOUS non-shots while coming down, etc with absolutely no consequence.

Last edited by Caelumfang; 01-31-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2018, 07:39 PM   #26
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelumfang
Then the offensive player will keep wasting possessions trying to do that stupid pumpfake while the defender stands there with his hands up, looking at the offensive player like he’s an idiot.

People did it in 2k16 because they KNEW that the game would eventually take over the defender and make them jump with no user input. Otherwise, they’d either rack up 3-second calls, or stagnate their offense. Period. I’m not trying to hear any other excuse as to why a defender constantly leaving his feet on punpfakes isn’t smacked with foul after foul.

But I guess that, to some of you, the defender should just be able to popcorn jump in the paint freely, and kick the ball out of your hands, fall all on your player, get rewarded with blocks/steals on OBVIOUS non-shots while coming down, etc with absolutely no consequence.
If we're doing extremes, I guess some of you feel defenders should dissapear into thin air because they pressed Y and it should be a guaranteed score...

For all the talk of 'real basketball'.....Yes, you are allowed a neutral jump in the post as a defender....

The good post players learn footwork and identifying where defenders are and finishing accordingly, and the bad ones end up with their faces in people's stomachs, stuck because they took the wrong angle after a fake...this is literally a drill they teach you in AAU as a big....

As I much as we preach wanting defenders bodies to be respected- it seems we want to completely disregard it as far as the post goes....I don't want a canned two man up and under animation- I like the idea that I have to counter a jump in the correct fashion.

I'm not advocating spamming jump being rewarded....just somewhere in the middle where actual thought still has to be put into what your doing down there....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 01-31-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:04 AM   #27
Pro

olajuwon34's Arena

I think most of us need to agree to disagree with this subject, because there's been multiple threads on this, and it always comes down to the same people commenting on these things. I think that it doesnt portray the post game properly , other people dont care about that and know how to use the post in this game so they dont question the fact that its not portrayed properly. Its not this guys fault for coming on here and posting saying why am i being punished for playing basketball, the way you should play basketball... this game just has a way of deceiving you in terms of the way basketball does work, and the way it works in this game.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:10 PM   #28
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by olajuwon34
I think most of us need to agree to disagree with this subject, because there's been multiple threads on this, and it always comes down to the same people commenting on these things. I think that it doesnt portray the post game properly , other people dont care about that and know how to use the post in this game so they dont question the fact that its not portrayed properly. Its not this guys fault for coming on here and posting saying why am i being punished for playing basketball, the way you should play basketball... this game just has a way of deceiving you in terms of the way basketball does work, and the way it works in this game.
Which is why I keep saying it. And I'll say it again and again. "Stop comparing real life to video game basketball". This isn't because we don't think it's not real. It because we took the time to learn it. A lot of people are under the impression. The closet to the basket. The easier it is to score. There are flaws in real life that will be exposed in a video game.

It's like the other thread I've seen thrown around here a few times this season. ON-Ball Steals....They basically made on ball steal with the steal button very rare. "I'm timing all my steals", "The ball needs more live phyics", and "Look at my hand go through the ball". Just like you can't reward timed steals all the time. It throw the game unbalanced and cause users to focus on pressing that button as many times as possible. Same goes for the post fake and under n' up.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:21 PM   #29
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

Quote:

I'm not sure what your talking about and getting sucked in. But the below is one of the many times I faced that tactic that year. The funny thing was all the players users. As you can see. He doesn't care about anything else because he's probably done this to like 5 guys before me. Lucky I knew what I was doing. But even with that fact. He could still do it over and over again. It's not fun. Or real in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
If we're doing extremes, I guess some of you feel defenders should dissapear into thin air because they pressed Y and it should be a guaranteed score...

For all the talk of 'real basketball'.....Yes, you are allowed a neutral jump in the post as a defender....

The good post players learn footwork and identifying where defenders are and finishing accordingly, and the bad ones end up with their faces in people's stomachs, stuck because they took the wrong angle after a fake...this is literally a drill they teach you in AAU as a big....

As I much as we preach wanting defenders bodies to be respected- it seems we want to completely disregard it as far as the post goes....I don't want a canned two man up and under animation- I like the idea that I have to counter a jump in the correct fashion.

I'm not advocating spamming jump being rewarded....just somewhere in the middle where actual thought still has to be put into what your doing down there....

Exactly!! Truly turns it into a skill. Not because I pressed a button and my opponent pressed a button. And I should be rewarded no matter what. Even on a fast break the other way. Should a basket count so easily.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:05 PM   #30
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter

Okay, now show me where someone continues to jump repeatedly in rapid succession in order to contest a shot.

Not only is spam jumping not being called for a foul, it's literally being rewarded when the defender falls on top of the offensive player. Blocks are being registered when the player isn't even ATTEMPTING to shoot (even on non-pumpfakes), and steals are being registered by the defender falling down into the offensive players' hands/arms/bodies. And the worst part? People aren't just hitting triangle, they're using the AGGRESSIVE block, which is R2+Triangle (or whatever it is on Xbox), which REALLY should result in fouls.

When you don't punish extremely bad tactics, they will get spammed. If you've played 2k games long enough, you should know exactly what I'm talking about. Mindlessly rushing the paint for dunks in 2k13 (because dunks couldn't be blocked), overdribbling relentlessly with no sort of penalty (multiple 2k titles), popcorn jumping in the paint (multiple 2k titles), etc. Because there's no penalty, you can have 1-4 people just spamming jump down low. And before you say 'just pass out', you know as well as I do that the game will sometimes wrap you up in inevitable animations to where your button input isn't even respected/registered.

I can attest to this with a Pure Rim Protector, when most of the time I'm not even ATTEMPTING to shoot/score down low, and I'll STILL get caught in stupid animations that shouldn't happen without a foul being called because 2-3 clowns ran at me and just started jumping.

Last edited by Caelumfang; 02-02-2018 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:14 PM   #31
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

Quote:
Okay, now show me where someone continues to jump repeatedly in rapid succession in order to contest a shot.

Not only is spam jumping not being called for a foul, it's literally being rewarded when the defender falls on top of the offensive player. Blocks are being registered when the player isn't even ATTEMPTING to shoot (even on non-pumpfakes), and steals are being registered by the defender falling down into the offensive players' hands/arms/bodies. And the worst part? People aren't just hitting triangle, they're using the AGGRESSIVE block, which is R2+Triangle (or whatever it is on Xbox), which REALLY should result in fouls.

When you don't punish extremely bad tactics, they will get spammed. If you've played 2k games long enough, you should know exactly what I'm talking about. Mindlessly rushing the paint for dunks in 2k13 (because dunks couldn't be blocked), overdribbling relentlessly with no sort of penalty (multiple 2k titles), popcorn jumping in the paint (multiple 2k titles), etc. Because there's no penalty, you can have 1-4 people just spamming jump down low. And before you say 'just pass out', you know as well as I do that the game will sometimes wrap you up in inevitable animations to where your button input isn't even respected/registered.

I can attest to this with a Pure Rim Protector, when most of the time I'm not even ATTEMPTING to shoot/score down low, and I'll STILL get caught in stupid animations that shouldn't happen without a foul being called because 2-3 clowns ran at me and just started jumping.
I'm so disappointed in this post. You didn't reply to my post.

Last edited by jeebs9; 02-02-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2018, 04:25 PM   #32
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
I'm so disappointed in this post. You didn't reply to my post.
I'll get to yours when I get home.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »