Home

Evidence why next gen pick and roll and help defense needs lots of work still

This is a discussion on Evidence why next gen pick and roll and help defense needs lots of work still within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Madden 24 Rumors: A Little Too Quiet...
Three Ways MLB The Show 23 Has Added Realism
How to Quick Pitch in MLB The Show 23
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2020, 07:48 PM   #9
Rookie
 
sperlz_99's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Feb 2016
Re: Evidence why next gen pick and roll and help defense needs lots of work still

Quote:
Originally Posted by EccentricMeat
It is and it isnít. Try the settings I posted and let me know if itís any better. It canít hurt, right?
I get your point but I've never been a big fan of the sliders. I believe the devs make the game how they do because they feel that by doing that you have the best balanced game for what the game engine will allow at that time. If you start messing with the sliders then you are effectively fixing one thing but potentially breaking another.

I believe the issue here is not necessarily the players being too fast but the defense not having the ability to react quickly enough to deal with quick players off the pick and roll.

I did do a bit if messing around with the sliders and put acceleration to zero for human controlled players and I still managed to get to the bucket frequently.
sperlz_99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:06 PM   #10
Rookie
 
sperlz_99's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Feb 2016
Re: Evidence why next gen pick and roll and help defense needs lots of work still

Quote:
Originally Posted by EccentricMeat
It is and it isnít. Try the settings I posted and let me know if itís any better. It canít hurt, right?
Just tried them and I'm getting the exact same results as before. Give the ball dangelo russell. Call a screen, attack the basket and no resistance from the defence. The help defense is just watching him throw in an easy layup each time
sperlz_99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:31 AM   #11
Cade Cunningham
 
rudyjuly2's Arena
 
OVR: 75
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Kingsville, ON
Posts: 14,670
Blog Entries: 110
Re: Evidence why next gen pick and roll and help defense needs lots of work still

I love sliders. Great way to tweak the game based on your particular skill set. That said, I donít see how sliders are going to fix this issue. I donít try to abuse things but there are 3 issues I have:
1) Screens are too effective. The on ball defender gets taken completely out of the play too easily. Let them slip easier or have them trail closer.
2) The off ball defender is a moron. They should be dropping more imo. And if you do drop stay closer to the basket and take away the easy bucket for both players. Dare the mid range shot.
3) If the off ball defender doesnít drop and either switches or hedges the game needs a third defender to cheat closer to the basket for help. If it stays a two man PNR it gives the offense a huge advantage.
rudyjuly2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-27-2020, 09:16 AM   #12
Pro
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Nov 2020
Re: Evidence why next gen pick and roll and help defense needs lots of work still

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I love sliders. Great way to tweak the game based on your particular skill set. That said, I donít see how sliders are going to fix this issue. I donít try to abuse things but there are 3 issues I have:

1) Screens are too effective. The on ball defender gets taken completely out of the play too easily. Let them slip easier or have them trail closer.

2) The off ball defender is a moron. They should be dropping more imo. And if you do drop stay closer to the basket and take away the easy bucket for both players. Dare the mid range shot.

3) If the off ball defender doesnít drop and either switches or hedges the game needs a third defender to cheat closer to the basket for help. If it stays a two man PNR it gives the offense a huge advantage.


Itís improved a ton...... itís not a glaring advantage like it was........ Czar has said that these things have to be handled delicately as a ďfixĒ could break the game if not implemented properly.......... if it was a easy fix to make it perfect it would be done already and on top of that I donít want PnR to be perfect because itís not perfect in real life


Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
strosdood is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:33 AM   #13
MVP
 
OVR: 15
Join Date: Aug 2006
Re: Evidence why next gen pick and roll and help defense needs lots of work still

DaCzar is now responsible for AI defense. I would say the defense will be in great shape by 22’ or 23’.

In addition to AI improvements, I would like the animation team to add a ton of contextual animations for both on-ball and off-ball defense.

Last edited by ch46647; 11-27-2020 at 10:18 AM.
ch46647 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 04:53 PM   #14
Rookie
 
sperlz_99's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Feb 2016
Re: Evidence why next gen pick and roll and help defense needs lots of work still

Quote:
Originally Posted by strosdood
It’s improved a ton...... it’s not a glaring advantage like it was........ Czar has said that these things have to be handled delicately as a “fix” could break the game if not implemented properly.......... if it was a easy fix to make it perfect it would be done already and on top of that I don’t want PnR to be perfect because it’s not perfect in real life


Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
What you can see with my video I have posted is that unfortunately with some quick players, such as deangelo russell, it is a glaring advantage. On 12 minute quarters I can put up 80+ points in the paint a game on hall of fame difficulty by calling a simple screen.

The defense cannot handle these kind of quick on the ball players currently in the game and for me that makes it impossible to play the game at this moment. When I had been playing before with different players I didn't spot this but just try with russell of Timberwolves and call a screen and see how easy it is to get to the hoop time and time again with the defense showing no kind of resolve to stop him.
sperlz_99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:16 PM   #15
Pro
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Nov 2020
Re: Evidence why next gen pick and roll and help defense needs lots of work still

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperlz_99
What you can see with my video I have posted is that unfortunately with some quick players, such as deangelo russell, it is a glaring advantage. On 12 minute quarters I can put up 80+ points in the paint a game on hall of fame difficulty by calling a simple screen.

The defense cannot handle these kind of quick on the ball players currently in the game and for me that makes it impossible to play the game at this moment. When I had been playing before with different players I didn't spot this but just try with russell of Timberwolves and call a screen and see how easy it is to get to the hoop time and time again with the defense showing no kind of resolve to stop him.


The little piece of your video I watched u continually just spammed the PNR untill u got the result u wanted.......I think if u search for a way to cheese the game u can do that and always will...... however if u play sim basketball and donít attempt to cheese then it can be a fairly well played game with slider tweaks........ itís not perfect but itís a lot better than it was a couple weeks ago


Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
strosdood is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-27-2020, 05:43 PM   #16
Rookie
 
sperlz_99's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Feb 2016
Re: Evidence why next gen pick and roll and help defense needs lots of work still

Quote:
Originally Posted by strosdood
The little piece of your video I watched u continually just spammed the PNR untill u got the result u wanted.......I think if u search for a way to cheese the game u can do that and always will...... however if u play sim basketball and donít attempt to cheese then it can be a fairly well played game with slider tweaks........ itís not perfect but itís a lot better than it was a couple weeks ago


Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Not at all it was an example of how pick and roll doesn't work against quick players. I don't play that way normally but showing for the purpose of the video
sperlz_99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:35 PM.
Top -