Home

Has 2K Next Gen been abandoned?

This is a discussion on Has 2K Next Gen been abandoned? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 08:50 AM   #17
Pro

OVR: 1
Re: Has 2K Next Gen been abandoned?

I feel the same way as the OP.

As a rec game, I find the Next Gen experience completely broken. And also, like the OP, the silence from those who work on the game is alarming. To address a couple points of criticism, you don't think Ronnie2K doesn't get paid to promote the game? You clearly have no idea how this works. As someone who works for a commercial software company, people are actively encouraged to post promotional stuff on social media and it certainly helps your career to actively do so, but we aren't a game company. At a game company, where social media posts are 100 times more effective you can guarantee its considered part of their job description. I mean, isn't that Ronnie's job??? I mean he literally has his position in the 2K universe because he's the hype man for 2K. I believe that 2K has probably asked told them to stop posting because the game is a train wreck and they've decided disengagement is a better strategy than getting into tweet wars with the fans. Either that or they've stopped posting because they are embarrassed 2K made them push out this half baked game and don't really want to have to try and defend it.

I think they are confronting the fact that they pushed the game out early to make launch, and some of the issues (like the terrible balance in mycareer, the broken contact dunks, interior D, shooting, etc) they honestly have no idea how to correct without alienating a huge chunk of their player base.

I've gone back to 2k21 last gen and while it has its faults it at least maintains a certain degree of internal consistency, where things like defense, floor spacing, rim protection and shot selection matter.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:53 AM   #18
MVP

simbayless's Arena

OVR: 2

I bet if enough people did the hashtag. #Fix2k. Somebody will leave their wine and cheese party to calm things down.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:46 AM   #19
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erithtotl
To address a couple points of criticism, you don't think Ronnie2K doesn't get paid to promote the game? You clearly have no idea how this works.
Ronnie is paid to promote the game. That's his job description. Ronnie isn't a developer. We're talking about the social media engagement of people that actually work on the game. But by all means, let's talk about who has an idea about how things work.

Quote:
As someone who works for a commercial software company, people are actively encouraged to post promotional stuff on social media and it certainly helps your career to actively do so, but we aren't a game company. At a game company, where social media posts are 100 times more effective you can guarantee its considered part of their job description.
Unfortunately, you are wrong. It isn't part of the job description. We have a developer who for YEARS had a weekly Radio & YouTube show designed to get constructive criticism & feedback for the game. Not because the company encouraged him to do so. He chose to do it of his own volition, on his own free time, because it made him better at his job. And because he loves what he does.

Those videos weren't for the purpose of mass exposure/promotion, they were seen by 100-200 people each week.

Quote:
I believe that 2K has probably asked told them to stop posting because the game is a train wreck and they've decided disengagement is a better strategy than getting into tweet wars with the fans.
"Fix the Servers Ronnie2K" is literally a meme and has been for two decades. You expect us to believe NOW that 2K is going dark in the face of criticisms?

Quote:
Either that or they've stopped posting because they are embarrassed 2K made them push out this half baked game and don't really want to have to try and defend it.
OR - they're working on the game. The bus driver typically doesn't talk to the passengers about what's going on upstairs. (Or they could just be waiting until more than 10 people own the PS5).

Nobody is saying NBA 2K21 is a perfect game. It never is. Yet it's also far from a BAD one.

It also released on schedule in a year where sports leagues were canceled/postponed and the entire movie industry shut down, to name a few industries. You and others are CRYING about the game not being "up to par" in what was easily the worst year of our generation.

Did any devs lose family or experience any health issues this year? Were there issues with child schooling? Who gives a ****? Where's my internet pitch fork? I know this is a place where people love to get high and mighty about their favorite video game but christ, read the room.

It's like watching the NBA and freaking out about games being postponed due to lack of available players, or teams "not competing" and losing by 30 w/ half the team missing. Teams are just trying to make it through the year.

"Embarrassed". That rhetoric shows how little understanding you actually have of how things work.

Quote:
I think they are confronting the fact that they pushed the game out early to make launch
They didn't push the game out early. They maintained a deadline that their billion dollar licensing agreement set.
http://youtube.com/real2krosters

Last edited by Real2KInsider; 01-19-2021 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:51 AM   #20
MVP

Hustle Westbrook's Arena

OVR: 0

I’m just going to assume they’ve moved on to 2K22 earlier because of the pandemic. I don’t think PNR Defense is getting patched this year either.

Honestly outside of an OP dribble move or jumpshot they don’t really patch gameplay like they used to, ever since 2K17. They dropped a ton of gameplay patches that year and it really messed up the game, particularly passing speeds. The community complained a ton and they’ve toned down on the patches since then.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:15 AM   #21
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real2KInsider

Nobody is saying NBA 2K21 is a perfect game. It never is. Yet it's also far from a BAD one.
Lol. You must be trolling. It’s literally the worst game they have ever released. The most unrealistic, unbalanced, arcadey, fake, repetitive, mind numbingly boring version of a 2K game by far...ever. It’s genuinely embarrassing that this is the game they released for next gen console gaming.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2021, 11:38 AM   #22
Pro

Vroman's Arena

Anybody still believes gameplay mechanics are made from the ground up like they promoted before release ?
Old 01-19-2021, 11:40 AM   #23
MVP

edaddy's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroman
Anybody still believes gameplay mechanics are made from the ground up like they promoted before release ?
How that even formed out there mouth to say that still leaves me baffled.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:45 AM   #24
Rookie

milin's Arena

OVR: 2

All of this is the result of lack of competition in the sports gaming market.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »