Home

I don’t wanna hear Devs talking about making defense Fun… just make it Functional

This is a discussion on I don’t wanna hear Devs talking about making defense Fun… just make it Functional within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2021, 11:17 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: I don’t wanna hear Devs talking about making defense Fun… just make it Functional

Quote:
Originally Posted by EccentricMeat
If 2K split the game into two different gameplay bases (“Sim” for offline play and “Competitive” for the online arcade crowd), and could patch/tune these two bases separately, it would go a very long way in fixing the issues with conflicting feedback from offline and online players.

“Sim” could have realistic defense, fouls, and shooting that doesn’t rely on green-or-miss mechanics; “Competitive” could have the dribble spam, defensive turnstiles, and the green-or-miss mechanics. When online players complain about issues against other players 2K can independently tweak the “Competitive” base without effecting the “Sim” base, and vice versa.

Offline modes would allow you to choose if you want to play Sim or Competitive, online modes would be Competitive only except for online MyNBA which would give the commissioner the choice.
As long as this sim mode also applies to PNO
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2021, 07:09 AM   #26
MVP

daveberg's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: I don’t wanna hear Devs talking about making defense Fun… just make it Functional

Quote:
Originally Posted by EccentricMeat
If 2K split the game into two different gameplay bases (“Sim” for offline play and “Competitive” for the online arcade crowd), and could patch/tune these two bases separately, it would go a very long way in fixing the issues with conflicting feedback from offline and online players.

“Sim” could have realistic defense, fouls, and shooting that doesn’t rely on green-or-miss mechanics; “Competitive” could have the dribble spam, defensive turnstiles, and the green-or-miss mechanics. When online players complain about issues against other players 2K can independently tweak the “Competitive” base without effecting the “Sim” base, and vice versa.

Offline modes would allow you to choose if you want to play Sim or Competitive, online modes would be Competitive only except for online MyNBA which would give the commissioner the choice.
This. 100% THIS.
Old 08-06-2021, 02:22 PM   #27
Banned

So currently they bought that other studio which is now working on the current gen 2k and the original 2k studio is working on next gen.

This to say, HOPEFULLY, when current gen gets phased out they will be able to use that additional team for one aspect (the city/rec/myplayer for example) and have the other studio with devs like Da Czar focus on accurate 5 on 5 basketball.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:53 AM   #28
MVP

jk31's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemarflacco
So currently they bought that other studio which is now working on the current gen 2k and the original 2k studio is working on next gen.

This to say, HOPEFULLY, when current gen gets phased out they will be able to use that additional team for one aspect (the city/rec/myplayer for example) and have the other studio with devs like Da Czar focus on accurate 5 on 5 basketball.

So that means that basically this year we have guys that never had anything to do with the game work on the game for us PC people? I get less and less hyped every day.....
Old 08-09-2021, 08:59 AM   #29
Rookie

SwankSinatra's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk31
So that means that basically this year we have guys that never had anything to do with the game work on the game for us PC people? I get less and less hyped every day.....

That same dev team worked on 2k21 current gen. 2K22 would be their second year

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 08-10-2021, 04:10 AM   #30
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
And please start making all these point guards pay for their bad decision making and poor ball control.

I've lost count of how many times this year a PG has dribbled the ball through my defender's hand/body, but that number is definitely in the hundreds, if not the thousands.

Plays like this need to result in loose balls, at worst, and turnovers, at best:

Spoiler

PGs in 2K21 will just come down the floor and punch in the same dial-a-combo all game long like it's their homegirl's phone number because they have ZERO fear of the defender's ability to disrupt their dribble spam.

The ball handler should need to have some SPACE before he's able to get fancy with his dribbles. But 2K21 has these Ed Bighead PGs looking at every lockdown like they're Casper the Friendly Defender.

2K21 is out here protecting these bad apples' dribble moves like the courts are out there protecting out-of-line officers' unjustifiable actions. End qualified immunity in 2022, and end ball handler immunity in 2K22.
lmao

10char
Old 08-10-2021, 01:17 PM   #31
MVP

jk31's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankSinatra
That same dev team worked on 2k21 current gen. 2K22 would be their second year

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Thats not making it better. 2k21 was the worst NBA 2k I ever played on PC gameplaywise.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2021, 04:16 PM   #32
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
2K21 is out here protecting these bad apples' dribble moves like the courts are out there protecting out-of-line officers' unjustifiable actions. End qualified immunity in 2022, and end ball handler immunity in 2K22.
It's not ballhandler immunity, it's casual-player immunity. They outnumber sim players significantly, and I don't see that changing any time soon. And as unfortunate as it is for us, 2K would be fools to not cater their game to the largest portion of their fanbase.

The best thing I can think of (well, not me technically) is what EccentricMeat said; basically splitting the game into two separate experiences and treating each like its own independent game, with its own settings, patches, etc.

You'd also have to have online lobbies/matchup options for both sides, and I remember back when I played a lot online around 2K7, the 12-minute quarter lobbies were lonely as hell, so there's always the caveat that it might be difficult to find a game sometimes (I know not all sim players want 12-minute quarters, just using that as an example).

Also, just throwing this out there, but for people who say the help defense isn't good, you have to change your team's defensive scheme. Off-ball pressure for individual players is the biggest one. I think the AI will stay at home more often than not (off-ball) on default settings, so you have to tell them who you want to help off of by using Gap or Leave on bad shooters or people you can live with getting open threes.

Last edited by VictorMG; 08-11-2021 at 04:30 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »