Home
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2009, 02:15 PM   #1
Rookie
 
OVR: 2
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Columbia, MD
My Player Progression Strategy

I've been playing 2K10 now for about a week and I'm addicted to the My Player mode. I'm in the middle of the first season now, and the Blazers just knocked my down to the D-League. The good thing though is I'm killing them in the D-League, so I'm getting a lot of skill points.

So, it made me think... for the people playing this mode, what's been your strategy for your skill points? I'm a scoring point guard, so I started first trying to up all of my shooting ratings into the mid 70s. At this point I've decided to balance how I distribute the ratings so I can try to up everything at the same pace. But I'm starting to wonder if it would make more sense to just focus on a couple of ratings and max those out and then move onto another set, max them out, etc. etc.

What are you guys doing?
exodus0313 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
Rookie
 
OVR: 4
Join Date: Aug 2003
Re: My Player Progression Strategy

See this is what I'm wondering.....what strategy is best for me.

I'm a 6'5" athletic SF. 23 games into my 1st year.....avoided the clone glitch and all.

What I did initially was put most of my skill points into the physical attributes (vertical, speed, quickness, stamina, etc)

Stamina is crucial because the longer you have energy, the more effective you can be. When you're tired you get subbed, slower, and have overall less influence on the court.

Being athletic, I also started to put points that add to the overall athleticism, like layup, dunk, and standing dunk especially.

Now my offense is pretty potent, it isn't the greatest, but i can usually shoot around 50%. But it's time to add to the defensive side of things. Had a game against Indy and Granger lit my a** up. Couldn't stay in front to save my life.

I'm just wondering would it be better to let skill points stack for a few games? As of now i've been upgrading after every game. Would really like to get my speed up (only 81 right now) but the points are uber expensive.

I'm on 10 min quarters currently, and getting real good scores.
weylum is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
MVP
 
OVR: 20
Join Date: Sep 2008
Re: My Player Progression Strategy

First off, how did you avoid the clone glitch? This is the one terrible thing about the game.

As for points, if you want to be a dominant player right away it is best to choose one area and go with that. The easiest way to do this is offense, either shooting, driving, or posting. One thing that really helps any offensive game is consistency. it really helps you keep your player from going cold and keeps you from having off games. Once you get that to where you can really attack most defenses then either round out your offense to make you a more consistant, dominant scorer or try to go defense.

If you want to have the best overall rating then improve the mental ratings. This won't make you a great player but it will boost your overall for cheap.

Personally I try to balance it more so my player improves in all areas and is the best all around player he can be. This might limit my ability to dominate and take over games at first bu it allows me to put up decent all around numbers.

The last player I tried was a 6'10" back to the basket PF. By mid december I was a 60 overall, starting, scoring over 20 most games and having one with 38, grabbing double digit rebounds about half the time and being close the rest of the time, blocking a few shots here and there, around .8 per game, averaging over 2 assists per game and less than a turnover per game.

What I was doing was adding 5 points to an offensive rating, then 5 to defense, then 5 to physical, then 5 to mental. Most of my offensive ones went to the post game since that was my bread and butter but I put some into shooting and offensive rebounding as well. Defensively I spread it out between rebounding, blocks, post defense, and a little on ball defense. Physical I went mostly with stamina but put a little into vertical to help with the rebounding and shot blocking and a little into speed to help guard the occasional SF that I got stuck on and a little into strenght to help with the post defense. Mentally I went mostly with consistancy and a little into clutch offense.
kcarr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:06 PM   #4
Rookie
 
OVR: 2
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Columbia, MD
Re: My Player Progression Strategy

Quote:
Originally Posted by weylum
I'm on 10 min quarters currently, and getting real good scores.
How were you able to change the games to 10 minute quarters? I'm stuck playing 5 and couldn't figure this out to save my life!
exodus0313 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
MVP
 
OVR: 20
Join Date: Sep 2008
Re: My Player Progression Strategy

Quote:
Originally Posted by exodus0313
How were you able to change the games to 10 minute quarters? I'm stuck playing 5 and couldn't figure this out to save my life!
To do it you have to have the DC and import a player from there. They are fixing that with the patch. To do it set all the settings how you want, save the settings, and the import your player.
kcarr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2009, 05:35 PM   #6
Rookie
 
OVR: 4
Join Date: Aug 2003
Re: My Player Progression Strategy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
First off, how did you avoid the clone glitch? This is the one terrible thing about the game.

As for points, if you want to be a dominant player right away it is best to choose one area and go with that. The easiest way to do this is offense, either shooting, driving, or posting. One thing that really helps any offensive game is consistency. it really helps you keep your player from going cold and keeps you from having off games. Once you get that to where you can really attack most defenses then either round out your offense to make you a more consistant, dominant scorer or try to go defense.

If you want to have the best overall rating then improve the mental ratings. This won't make you a great player but it will boost your overall for cheap.

Personally I try to balance it more so my player improves in all areas and is the best all around player he can be. This might limit my ability to dominate and take over games at first bu it allows me to put up decent all around numbers.

The last player I tried was a 6'10" back to the basket PF. By mid december I was a 60 overall, starting, scoring over 20 most games and having one with 38, grabbing double digit rebounds about half the time and being close the rest of the time, blocking a few shots here and there, around .8 per game, averaging over 2 assists per game and less than a turnover per game.

What I was doing was adding 5 points to an offensive rating, then 5 to defense, then 5 to physical, then 5 to mental. Most of my offensive ones went to the post game since that was my bread and butter but I put some into shooting and offensive rebounding as well. Defensively I spread it out between rebounding, blocks, post defense, and a little on ball defense. Physical I went mostly with stamina but put a little into vertical to help with the rebounding and shot blocking and a little into speed to help guard the occasional SF that I got stuck on and a little into strenght to help with the post defense. Mentally I went mostly with consistancy and a little into clutch offense.

Wow man you have this down to a science.

I definitely hear you on the consistency tip, I have mine at 99 and it totally prevents your player from having off nights.

But to answer your question, I avoided the clone glitch by doing this: Once I finished my summer league games, there was a screen asking me to select which team's training camp I wanted to attend. At that screen, I didn't select anything, and instead exited straight out of the game to the xbox dashboard. I restarted the game and once I loaded my player, it said that I was invited to Cleveland's training camp, which was the same team I did summer league with, thus avoiding a duplicate player on another team. As of now, this is the only workaround until the patch.

But again man I dig your strategy. How far into the season are you? Only gripe I have is that now I get the starting nod over LeBron some games, and I think we could be more effective if LeBron and I started. His minutes and status are well below what he's accustomed to. I'm only putting up 21 and 8 boards, playing strictly within the offense.

Let's here some more strategy/stories fellas! I'm an addict for this mode!
weylum is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:15 PM   #7
MVP
 
OVR: 20
Join Date: Sep 2008
Re: My Player Progression Strategy

Yeah, it sucks that they won't let you start out of position even though you can play out of position. In my latest one with washington at first the starting lineup was arenas, foye, butler, jamison, and oberto. However, I really should have been starting at the center spot even though I was a power forward and every game I would get subbed in at power forward at the fist dead ball. There was a stretch of 10 games where I actually tracked the times I got put in in the first quarter and the longest it took them to put me in was 28 seconds. Most of the time I was in within 15 seconds and was playing starter minutes at the center spot and not playing power forward at all.

They then started having me start rather than jamison and at the first dead ball they would sub him in and move me over to the 5. They need to be able to actually set up the starting lineups like this when it would make for the best lineup.

Also, they need to really look at trying to have the CPU use the matchup thing so that if for instance when I am playing boston if I am our best post defender they match me up with KG no matter what position he is playing. I hate going up against him for a little bit, keeping him from taking over the game and doing what I can to slow him down and then either him or me moving over from the 4 to the 5 or vice-versa and him dominating oberto or jamison and getting hot then having to switch back and stop him when he is already rolling. Now that I am starting one as an athletic 3 I can see this really being a problem with some of the big athletic 2s and 3s like kobe, melo, wade, bron etc once I become a real defender.

I am actually going to start a new one now to avoid the clone glitch, too annoying when I am putting up over 20 points and my average of 15 is dropping because my clone is playing but not scoring. Now I am just waiting for 2ks servers to work so I can get started, sure with we could do this without having to depend on their servers.

My first one I made it a little ways into december with houston and decided that I wanted to up the minutes a little bit so had to start over. My latest one I was 26 games in with washington and had them in position to be in the playoff race and was in contention with griffin and harden as a possible ROY canidate despite my clone killing my averages.
kcarr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:07 PM   #8
Rookie
 
OVR: 4
Join Date: Oct 2006
Re: My Player Progression Strategy

If you're a wing player I like to start out by upgrading speed + layup, you can get a number of easy-non-cheesy buckets just by filling the lane correctly on fastbreaks.
Synchromesh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:51 AM.

Top -