Home

Offensive schemes and tactics

This is a discussion on Offensive schemes and tactics within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-05-2017, 05:03 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Offensive schemes and tactics

Sorry if there is already a thread for this, but I haven't seen one and I didn't want to blow up the dynasty thread...

What kinds of offenses do y'all run? I mean stylistically, principle-wise, formations, etc.

I have a predisposition toward spread-I stuff and my most recent playbook creation is an attempt to marry Dan Mullen and Gus Malzahn's systems, though I haven't run a lot of no huddle because of the lack of offensive line depth on my squad.

Most of my playbook is zone running, including lots of zone-read and motion triple-option, but there are also counters and some straight-ahead QB run stuff. Wrap, blast, etc.

My passing game is pretty simple. Lots of play action screens, slip screen, a few play action reads, and different vertical looks.

I try to run the ball about 60% of the time.

I don't use any under-center. Primarily gun with three pistol formations. I'll post the playbook by formation later.

What sort of schemes do you guys like to operate?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2017, 10:01 PM   #2
Pro

MJDrocks's Arena

Re: Offensive schemes and tactics

I've been running the current Oklahoma State "Air-Raid." I put Air-Raid in quotations because it's actually a pretty decently balanced attack. There are a lot of good running plays and running out of 4 WR Sets can really open up some lanes and keep the defense off-balanced. There are also a decent amount of Pistol Formations in the OSU book to give your offense a duel-identity.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:09 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

I used to always be an under center pro-style guy thanks to watching Miami so much and that being all I knew firsthand. I started doing more and more spread stuff and now in my UMASS dynasty I am all spread with a flex-bone wrinkle added into it that I use when I don't have the hogs to run over the other team in short yardage situations.

I typically stay with 3 WRs and the TE out of the gun or pistol. I use a ton of jet motion to get the defense shifting before the snap and because so much can come from it. Fake handoff for a run up the middle, give on the jet, run a triple option off of it, run a speed option off of it, run a pa pass off of it, etc. It's been a lot of fun running a new system, but I definitely need a few years to get my guys in there to make it more efficient.

― Plato
Old 12-07-2017, 02:16 PM   #4
MVP

USC was very under-center-oriented for a long time, but I got into college football when Pat White and Dennis Dixon and Tim Tebow were all taking off. So even in the PS2 days I would tend to incorporate a little read option stuff in a playbook that would be primarily Ace/I-form.

I've definitely gotten away from under center these more recent days though. My playbook, off the top of my head:

Gun
Nrml flex wk
Normal offset
Nrml offset WK
Split offset
Split slot
Spread
Spread HB WK
Spread flex
Spread offset
Trio 4wr
Trio 4wr WK
Trio offset
Wing trio offset
Wing trips
Wing trips offset
Empty spread
Empty wing offset

Pistol
Fullhouse
Wing trio
Wing trips

Goal line
Heavy (shotgun)

I want to incorporate some wildcat, but I'm not sure which formations
Old 12-07-2017, 02:48 PM   #5
Pro

sikolec's Arena

OVR: 8

I really enjoy Baylor's playbook in the game. I usually run out of the Spread and Spread Flex formations (4 wide). I'll also throw in some of the variety of trips formations and occasionally go Ace. Great playbook and I'm about 50/50 on pass/run.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2017, 03:13 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikolec
I really enjoy Baylor's playbook in the game. I usually run out of the Spread and Spread Flex formations (4 wide). I'll also throw in some of the variety of trips formations and occasionally go Ace. Great playbook and I'm about 50/50 on pass/run.
What sets do you run out of Ace?
Old 12-07-2017, 05:12 PM   #7
Pro

sikolec's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofx94
What sets do you run out of Ace?
I usually go Ace F Wing Twins. I like to keep as many WRs on the field as I can. I really like the Counter run play. There is also a great PA pass (I'd have to look it up again), but basically the second TE (strong side, might actually be a FB) releases and is wide open if the LBs bite on the PA. I usually formation sub the TE/FB with a back-up RB that has some impact block ratings. This player can get some great yards receiving, but also needs to be able to seal off the block on that Counter.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:17 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikolec
I usually go Ace F Wing Twins. I like to keep as many WRs on the field as I can. I really like the Counter run play. There is also a great PA pass (I'd have to look it up again), but basically the second TE (strong side, might actually be a FB) releases and is wide open if the LBs bite on the PA. I usually formation sub the TE/FB with a back-up RB that has some impact block ratings. This player can get some great yards receiving, but also needs to be able to seal off the block on that Counter.
That's a good use of the h-back position. I know in recent years Urban Meyer has used people at h back that also get carries and catches.

I like f wing twins for the ability to use 21 personnel out of Ace, but I think I've found twin TE slot to be more malleable.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »