Home

What 2K Can Learn From Blitz: The League

This is a discussion on What 2K Can Learn From Blitz: The League within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2020, 03:30 PM   #1
Owner and News Editor
 
Steve_OS's Arena
 
OVR: 77
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: OS Eastern Office
Posts: 28,479
Blog Entries: 556
What 2K Can Learn From Blitz: The League



As we all roll with the haymakers and below-the-belt shots that 2020 hurls at us, the...

Written By: Elliott Jenkins

Click here to view the article.
__________________
Steve Noah
CEO / Executive News Editor
http://www.operationsports.com
Follow me on Twitter
Steve_OS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2020, 04:14 PM   #2
Banned
 
AUTHENTICNFLNBA's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Jan 2020
Re: What 2K Can Learn From Blitz: The League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS


As we all roll with the haymakers and below-the-belt shots that 2020 hurls at us, the...

Written By: Elliott Jenkins

Click here to view the article.
Hell no..... Get rid of these articles!! Get it out y'all mind... Visual Concepts did not make a deal with the NFL to make a goofy booty game.. BLITZ/STREET/PLAYGROUND is dead... Read between the lines... SPORTS GAMERS ONLINE dumping vids for clicks and it's no where near the road less traveled!!! EXPECT APF ( TYPE ) GAME with more details you can fathom and a mobile game!!! QUIET AS KEPT: THE NFL WAS BLOWN AWAY BY WHAT THE DEVELOPMENT TEAM HAD COME UP WITH and you can bet your *** that as soon as the NFL LICENSE runs its course, the NFLPA will stick their fingers in the pie too.. Stop it OS!!! Y'all know something unbelievable is coming and it's not no arcade ****... NON-SIMULATION means something totally different. The only reason why EA spoke out was to keep their investors involved.. The NFL handled their business and VC will swoop in for the kill AUGUST 2021... JUST WAIT UNTIL YALL HERE ABOUT THE TV LICENSING 2K MANAGED TO COME UP WITH!! That'll confirm that they aren't working on some rinky-dink game!! watch and see..

Last edited by AUTHENTICNFLNBA; 03-27-2020 at 04:23 PM.
AUTHENTICNFLNBA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 05:19 PM   #3
MVP
 
tsbmolina's Arena
 
OVR: 2
Join Date: Feb 2012
Blog Entries: 1
Re: What 2K Can Learn From Blitz: The League

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTHENTICNFLNBA
Hell no..... Get rid of these articles!! Get it out y'all mind... Visual Concepts did not make a deal with the NFL to make a goofy booty game.. BLITZ/STREET/PLAYGROUND is dead... Read between the lines... SPORTS GAMERS ONLINE dumping vids for clicks and it's no where near the road less traveled!!! EXPECT APF ( TYPE ) GAME with more details you can fathom and a mobile game!!! QUIET AS KEPT: THE NFL WAS BLOWN AWAY BY WHAT THE DEVELOPMENT TEAM HAD COME UP WITH and you can bet your *** that as soon as the NFL LICENSE runs its course, the NFLPA will stick their fingers in the pie too.. Stop it OS!!! Y'all know something unbelievable is coming and it's not no arcade ****... NON-SIMULATION means something totally different. The only reason why EA spoke out was to keep their investors involved.. The NFL handled their business and VC will swoop in for the kill AUGUST 2021... JUST WAIT UNTIL YALL HERE ABOUT THE TV LICENSING 2K MANAGED TO COME UP WITH!! That'll confirm that they aren't working on some rinky-dink game!! watch and see..
What tv licensing do you speak of? ESPN?
tsbmolina is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:32 AM   #4
Rookie
 
BarfytheOwl's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Upstate New York
Re: What 2K Can Learn From Blitz: The League

I still play Blitz and Blitz II sometimes. They're good games, but I don't think 2K is aiming for something like that long-term.

Also I still love the soundtracks for both games. KoRn & Nas, Swollen Members, Skindred, B. Real, Bayside, etc., hell yes.

As much as I love the new styles of music and new artists, most sports games soundtracks are stale as hell, and don't have enough diversity. I'd love for a return to the days where OutKast, Wylde Bunch, and Nappy Roots were mixed in with UnderÝath, Mastodon, and Serafin.
__________________
Buffalo Bills, Toronto Blue Jays, Ottawa Senators, Milwaukee Bucks.

Currently listening to: Dance Gavin Dance.

PSN: Sentient_Ooze
BarfytheOwl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:44 PM   #5
Rookie
 
JayhawkerStL's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,419
Re: What 2K Can Learn From Blitz: The League

From the success of the Blitz franchise, I think the game has more of what not to do. It’s not like it became a part of our annual tradition. I’m sure it is good, but 2K is not taking up this fight for two poor selling games.

That’s why I don’t think we are going to see it be arcade on that level. It will be 11 on 11, but it’s lack of simulation of the NFL is going to have to do primarily with not replicating the NFL. They will have real players, with legends mixed in, but the game will lack the teams, schedule, and probably the stadiums. I would expect the presentation to get upgraded, and it will be a bit more over the top than APF 2K8. There will not be a way to customize the game into an NFL season.

I won’t pretend to have a clue how good the game will be. No idea on if they are reskinning 2K8, or building from the ground up. No idea who is working on it, or if they have the chops to roll out a brand new football game engine.
__________________
XBL: JayhawkerStL

----

"I think a lot of the anger some fans have toward video games they fear will disappoint them are rooted in unrelated desires for basic existential validation. And I get that. But no video game (or movie, or book, or song) is ever going to fill that hole." - Arthur Gies

Last edited by JayhawkerStL; 03-29-2020 at 04:28 PM.
JayhawkerStL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2020, 05:47 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame
 
illwill10's Arena
 
OVR: 31
Join Date: Mar 2009
Re: What 2K Can Learn From Blitz: The League

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
From the success of the Blitz franchise, I think the game has more of what not to do. Itís not like it became a part of our annual tradition. Iím sure it is good, but 2K is not taking up this fight for two poor selling games.

Thatís why I donít think we are going to see it be arcade on that level. It will be 11 on 11, but itís lack of simulation of the NFL is going to have to do primarily with not replicating the NFL. They will have real players, with legends mixed in, but the game will lack the teams, schedule, and probably the stadiums. I would expect the presentation to get upgraded, and it will be a bit more over the top than APF 2K8. There will not be a way to customize the game into an NFL season.

I wonít pretend to have a clue how good the game will be. No idea on if they are reskinning 2K8, or building from the ground up. No idea who is working on it, or if they have the chops to roll out a brand new football game engine.
I wouldn't mind another Blitz game on its own. I thought Blitz the League was fun. Not for 2k though, plus NFL wouldn't want to be associated with blitz style play anymore.
Yeah I don't think it will be arcade like that or too over the top either. My worse case would be NFL Playground. I'm sure it would be "fun" but not my thing. My max arcade style would be NFL Street. I do think they could get 11-on-11 football, but would have a replicating the NFL in a different way. Like you said, maybe not use stadiums. They haven't signed a deal with the NFLPA yet, which could happen in coming months. But maybe they don't use real players and just the teams. Or how the way they approach off season could be different. Maybe not a traditional free agency or draft. Where I feel the simulation restrictions might not have to deal with gameplay it self, maybe just have the NFL is replicated.
We don't have a clue on how game engine would be built. I don't know if they could/would re-skin 2k8 to a more modern look and feel. We don't know if they have any developers that are still around from those days. Plus 2k8 game engine was an upgraded 2k5 engine. When the 6th to 7th generation transition happened, 2k keep the game engines in tact unlike EA who had their sports games build from the ground up. But at same time, I don't know if they would build from ground up if they are planning to release in a year. When they reveal the license deal a couple weeks ago, NFL said 2k was in "early development". We don't know how "early" 2k is in development. I think 2k would drop their game in July in order to get a month ahead of Madden. So is 16-18 months enough time to build a game engine from ground up. Even then, you have shave months off that timeline since they will be hyping up game from 3-4 months out so game engine would have to be done. So would essentially 12 months be enough time. My hope would be either re-skin 2k8 engine. Or at least take a lot of inspiration from that engine.
illwill10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:31 PM   #7
Rookie
 
JayhawkerStL's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,419
Re: What 2K Can Learn From Blitz: The League

My guess is still that they are going in an APF direction, so a full NFLPA agreement isnít as necessary. Cost wise, it might be cheaper to target who they want than get everyone. They may even use 2K8 style generic guys to round out rosters. Or, the NFLPA agreement might still happen.

It could get interesting if 2K puts a dent in Maddenís Ultimate Team revenue.

Just like Microsoft realizing that by expanding where gamers could play, it reduced the importance of console sales. They sell Xbox Live Gold and Gamepass to more gamers, increasing revenue without needing to increase console sales. Obviously, the hope is to cut into Sonyís sales, but mostly, itís just to increase their own revenue.

So 2K could use their version of MUT to gain mindshare and drive revenue without matching EAís sales of Madden.

This is mostly what I see happening. What Iím hoping to see is custom online leagues.
__________________
XBL: JayhawkerStL

----

"I think a lot of the anger some fans have toward video games they fear will disappoint them are rooted in unrelated desires for basic existential validation. And I get that. But no video game (or movie, or book, or song) is ever going to fill that hole." - Arthur Gies
JayhawkerStL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:02 PM   #8
Banned
 
AUTHENTICNFLNBA's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Jan 2020
Re: What 2K Can Learn From Blitz: The League

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
My guess is still that they are going in an APF direction, so a full NFLPA agreement isnít as necessary. Cost wise, it might be cheaper to target who they want than get everyone. They may even use 2K8 style generic guys to round out rosters. Or, the NFLPA agreement might still happen.

It could get interesting if 2K puts a dent in Maddenís Ultimate Team revenue.

Just like Microsoft realizing that by expanding where gamers could play, it reduced the importance of console sales. They sell Xbox Live Gold and Gamepass to more gamers, increasing revenue without needing to increase console sales. Obviously, the hope is to cut into Sonyís sales, but mostly, itís just to increase their own revenue.

So 2K could use their version of MUT to gain mindshare and drive revenue without matching EAís sales of Madden.

This is mostly what I see happening. What Iím hoping to see is custom online leagues.
THE ENGINE IS YEARS IN THE MAKING!! No way " VISUAL CONCEPTS " walked in that meeting empty handed..
AUTHENTICNFLNBA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:44 PM.

Top -