Home

5 Overrated Aspects of NFL 2k5

This is a discussion on 5 Overrated Aspects of NFL 2k5 within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-20-2022, 12:32 AM   #25
MVP

Keirik's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: 5 Overrated Aspects of NFL 2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
How does that prove it was broken?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Because he used all caps. That makes it official.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2022, 01:19 AM   #26
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
You just like feeding the troll, huh?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
It can be entertaining.

― Plato
Old 04-20-2022, 01:20 AM   #27
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSL97
lmao some of you guys are so childish, I mean HOW DARE I challenge the notion that 2k5 is the greatest football game of all time, right? Its kinda like when a rapper dies and everyone calls them “the greatest of all time”, but 2k5 is the rapper in this situation lol

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I never called 2k5 the greatest football game of all time. I just asked how that proved the progression system was broken because it just sounded like you're not a fan of the system, not that it is broken.

― Plato
Old 04-20-2022, 02:14 AM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
I never called 2k5 the greatest football game of all time. I just asked how that proved the progression system was broken because it just sounded like you're not a fan of the system, not that it is broken.

I literally proved to you already that the progression system was broken by giving you the example with Larry Fitzgerald always becoming 90+ overall...progression isn’t supposed to be FIXED in franchise mode yet it clearly was in 2k...Gameprep itself is heavily tied in to in-season progression and that’s broken as well hence progression for the most part is simply broken in 2k5...

Last edited by JackSL97; 04-20-2022 at 02:47 AM.
Old 04-20-2022, 02:23 AM   #29
Rookie

Funny thing is that if in an alternate reality 2k got the exclusive license people would be proclaiming madden 05 to be “the greatest football game of all time”...they’d be creaming themselves over “the relocation options, the hit stick, the training camp drills, the Tony Bruno show, Al Michaels and John Madden doing commentary, the tattoos in edit player, etc” ...2k actually did get their hands on an exclusive license for baseball and look how that turned out...on the other end of the spectrum you have people proclaiming mvp baseball to be the greatest baseball game of
all time...some of you are simply drowning in nostalgia and not taking reality into account

Old 04-20-2022, 02:39 AM   #30
Rookie

Quote:
I agree that the weekly prep was not intuitive at all. It was an idea I would have liked to see get fleshed out if the series had continued, but it was confusing to use more often than not. I wouldn't say it was broken, but I turned it off personally since the CPU did not also use the feature.

As for progression. I actually really enjoy things like what you gave an example of with your QB. I personally hate the way Madden works with the XP system right now. I think it is the worst progression system in all of sports gaming.

I understand it is built to reward the user and create a satisfying gameplay loop where the user achieves success on the field and sees their players improve because of it. I totally get why it is why it is, I simply am not a fan of that style of progression in my sports games.

What 2k was going for from a progression standpoint was more of my style. My favorite progression/regression system in all of sports is what Out of the Park does. You get a scouting report for every single player. It shows their current ratings and their projected ratings. This updates regularly for all players.

It gives the user insight on what to expect from a player year after year. It seems 2k was aiming for a realistic progression system similar to what Out of the Park has now, but 2k5 lacked any sort of insight tool, so it was basically a guessing game as to what a player would be, which while realistic in a sense, the user needs some sort of guide like a scouting report to help them understand the process going on.

Had you had a scouting report showing your QB wasn't projected to be much, then it would have been much more clear that the guy had a magical season, but don't expect that from him regularly. It would have been better, but the lack of guidance from the game did make progress and regression in that game feel frustrating at times.

I wouldn't call the progression system broken, however. It was just unclear and wasn't a strictly performance based system like what Madden has these days. It desperately needed something akin to scouting reports to give the users some insight into what was going on so that they could better understand the results.

you’re forgetting madden is a video game and performance-based progression was and always will be the best way to simulate what happens in real life because of the limitation of video games themselves, which are dealing with artificial intelligence and not living breathing human beings...your not taking into account that there will never be a such thing as virtual PEDs and virtual steroids ie Laron Landry/David Boston to account for why certain players had monster seasons and then fell way off the radar just a few years later...your not taking into account guys having 3 great years, then they sign a huge contract and they get lazy and never perform at that level again...madden’s NEVER gonna truly duplicate what you see in real life because of the limitations of AI and the nfl itself not wanting certain things depicted in their game as they love to hide behind their pretentious “clean” public image

Old 04-20-2022, 07:35 AM   #31
Rookie

idigfoo9's Arena

OVR: 5

I think this discussion has been put to bed. However, I have a thread in the non-sports section about how Citizen Kane is overrated and compared to the movies that are out today it is archaic. If you want to discuss meet me over there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2022, 08:37 AM   #32
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSL97
lmao some of you guys are so childish, I mean HOW DARE I challenge the notion that 2k5 is the greatest football game of all time, right? Its kinda like when a rapper dies and everyone calls them “the greatest of all time”, but 2k5 is the rapper in this situation lol

Except 2k5 isn't dead. it's very much alive just like other classic games. Guys are revamping the game much like NCAA 14 has been revamped and now NCAA 06 is being revamped. People still play those games on the reg. I just don't understand the purpose of "challenging" 2k5 on the 2k5 forum in order to boost up Madden, when you've already expressed how you felt about it on the Madden forum. Again, I don't think this would happen or even be allowed on the Madden forum. If someone came along and "challenged" Madden in this manner in order to boost NFL 2k5, I believe the mods would probably come along and shut it down quickly. That's just my opinion.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »